Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Induction cooktop in front of windows?

Posted by Barbarav (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 8:43

I would love to hear from anyone who has placed an induction cooktop/range (or and cooking appliance) in front of a window. I'm redoing my kitchen and trying to reconfigure it, mainly to move a fridge to the other existing wall. The longest wall has windows, which I love, but are limiting in the placement of appliances. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Induction cooktop in front of windows?

Check code in your area. In some places, cooktops aren't allowed in front of windows although that might only apply to gas cooktops, not induction.

o

IF a cooktop is in front of a window, it's usually required to be non operative safety glass. That means changing out the windows, not placing something in front of them as is. MOST codes though are not that permissive so as to allow the safety hazard.

o

Grease splatter may be more obvious on a window than on a backsplash.

Because an induction cooktop does not radiate heat towards the window, it should be compatible with glass. While the philosophy of "better to ask forgiveness than permission" has its utility at times, for Code compliance and avoiding expense the opposite is true. Ask first after explaining induction if the AHJ doesn't know what it is.

kas

o

Good grief! I didn't even think about the codes, I was concerned mainly with whether it would be high maintenance. Thanks.

o

Ask on the kitchen forum if you haven't. Someone did it years ago--it was an interior window and very cool and I forget her name...

o

Thanks fori. I did that. Found some photos on the houzz site, which is what sparked the idea. They looked pretty cool.

o

Those houzz images seemto have jnspired numbers of folks to adopt the layout you are considering. Have you seen these older GW threads?

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1222462528548.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0122562722892.html

I know of no provision in any fire codes or the IRC which would prohibit anybody from placing an induction cooktop or range in front of a window in a residence. Bear in mind that you have to respect the directions amd distances specified in your stove or cooktop's installation instruction. Also, we've all seen kitchen designs for decades that have placed cooktops beneath pass-throughs and behind breakfast bars and such. That strikes me as no different than a window.

All that having been said, the actual content of the codes may not matter if you live in an area or town where Code enforcement is a bastion of the arbitrary, whimsical, and capricious. It always is a good thing to check with the local building department before they decide to inspect and charge you.

And, of course, do not hang curtains on the window behind the stove or cooktp.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 16:48

o

JW, thanks for those links to previous threads, some of which were from 2008. And here I thought I was coming up with something new lol!

o

Here it is. I was wrong--it's a real window. But I have to get points for random kitchen trivia, right?

If she's still around, she oughta know by now if it gets gunky!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg040731491646.html

o

fori, when I saw that the pics, I knew that I had seen them before- in one of the links that JWVideo sent me. And these are of the finished kitchen. Thanks a bunch. Beautiful ktchen. Not so worried about it anymore, tho I do ned to check about those codes. Great memory!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0122562722892.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here