Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smitty34_gw

Induction for juice reduction

smitty34
9 years ago

I am trying to find the best way to use induction to reduce freshly pressed apple juice. I am thinking about using two Spring SM-351C 3500W units side by side and bridging them with one 15"x40" pan. I would like to reduce 1 3/4" (about 4 gallons) of juice by a factor of 8 as fast as possible, hopefully in an hour or so.
Does this sound feasible? Has anyone tried to do this or something similar?

Thanks for any information or suggestions that you can give me.

Comments (8)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I reduced my peach jam last year. I think I did it in about an hour but don't remember. It worked great for jam

• plllog
    9 years ago

Your pan is steel, right? It won't work if it's aluminum.

Your setup should work, but you do need to put at least an inch between the units for cooling of the works.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier doing the same thing with a $25 double electric coil portable? You're going to get hot spots either way, and the coil is really light and easy to store, and dead cheap. You only need boiling temperature to reduce, right? Too high and you'll scorch?

• smitty34
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What I am doing is making pure cider jelly. I can make it on my kitchen range by taking 1 gallon of fresh cider and splitting it between two large pots on the big burners. It has to boil as fast as possible. In 50 minutes it will be reduced about 8 times and I will have two 9 oz jars of the best jelly you have ever tasted.

I want to increase production by boiling two or three gallons at a time in one pan placed over the two units and run at high temp.I don't believe that it will scorch as long as there is still some liquid in the pan. I am hoping that the increased power (3400W x 2) and increased efficiency of induction cooking will allow me to do this.

I would put 1 3/4" of juice in the pan. It has to boil as fast as possible to preserve the gelling qualities of the pectin in the juice.

Yes, the pan will be 430 stainless with about 3-4" between units.

• gigelus2k13
    9 years ago

when you use your stove, is there a rangehood that you turn on too? I found that since I installed mine, the plum preserve thickens considerably faster, as if the moist air removal by the hood helps with the evaporation process.

If that holds true in your case too, then you'd have to place the portable induction top under the hood, otherwise it will take too long.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Cider jelly sounds fab!

I hope you report back to us about how well it works.

Will you need to plug them into different circuits?

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

To use two of these, you'll need two 240v outlets. Do you have these in your workspace?

• smitty34
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually I plan to install two 240V lines to my panel box from my garage.. I've done it before when I was a farmer. I plan to boil in the front of the garage (will take care of steam). I just don't know how fast I can reduce 3 or 4 gallons in one pan over two 3400W units. There is a guy at Spring USA who is going to do some trials and testing for me. I don't want to invest and find that it doesn't do the job.

I will post results when I hear from him. I can't find anyone who has tried to use induction this way.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Definitely post the results and pictures