Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
High wattage wall oven, is this better?

Posted by DevinR (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 8:08

We have been looking at the Bertazzoni ovens, apparently the baking elements they contain are high in wattage. 2100 watt for the top heating element and 3400 watt for the bottom heating element in each oven cavity. Convection element is 3300 watt. These are high numbers and I hope this means that the oven would heat quickly and recuperate its required heat quickly after opening. Is this a correct assumption? I bake a lot and I am looking for a "workhorse" . I do know that an iron with higher wattage means easier and better ironing, curious what this means in ovens.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High wattage wall oven, is this better?

In general, higher wattage means more heat - though of course, the size of the oven, the temperature of the element, and the insulation will all play a role. On a pizza making forum, a member did a survey and according to the responses, the average oven had 6,000 watts when you add the top and bottom elements. Again, I think it is tough to just compare wattage across brands, or even oven models, since size of the oven can be a major factor. Those of us with combi steams have very small cavities, most under 2 cubic feet, but they heat up extremely quick . So if you are looking at two ovens from the same manufacturer that are the same size, in general the one with higher wattage should heat up quicker, and recover quicker.

o

"Is this a correct assumption?"

No, this does not translate into faster heatup times on ovens.

I think you are obsessing over something trivial. If ten - fifteen xtra minutes of preheat time on an oven are going to cramp your lifestyle , then you really need to be cooking with a microwave or a TurboChef oven.

Best to focus on build quality, strength of the company providing support after the sale, the user interface, i.e. knobs, buttons, dials, display, computer or lack of, ect...and styling.

An oven is not an instant gratification tool, unless Apple rolled out an iOven this week while I was on vacation.

o

Xedos, thank you for the response. I like to have an oven that returns its heat quickly when opened a few times. Baking is what I do all the time. It is interesting indeed that many oven makers do not exactly flag their oven wattage around, including Thermador, I had to call for their wattage info and it is low! In fact, Jennair is higher. However, what I like to know if it makes a lot of difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here