o
ice maker woes

Posted by thomis (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 7:53

Hello friends,
I have a Kenmore side by side.
Date of manufacture Nov. 2000
Model 106.50264992

The ice cubes are often hollow and broken. The ice in the bin clumps up and freezes together causing a mess of a jam. A couple times a month I have to remove the bin and take it outside to thaw a huge chunk of broken cubes froze together. Very frustrating. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ice maker woes

Check the door seals. My parents had a similar issue - at least the melting/clumping portion - in their LG FD and on his second visit for the same problem the repair tech ordered a new seal. I was skeptical but it did resolve the issue.

o

We found the hollow ice cubes to be from a plugged or slightly plugged up water line going into the ice maker. We had a small ice jam near the back now and then. Cleaning out or getting a new water line should be a quick fix. Our refrigerator is a GE side by side...about the same age as yours.

o

If you have water on the door, how is the flow? We had the same issue as grandma, plugged filter. We were getting small cubes. Replaced 8 year old filter, all is good.

o

You might go to this site, go to the refrigerator forum and search around. I did a search on hollow ice, and found that link, but it was pretty detailed as to the fix , but a lot was over my head. Here is another post http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/refrigerator-freezer-repair/507547-whirlpool-refrigerator-ed25dqxbw00-ice-maker-not-freezing-properly.html

The suggestions include low water pressure either due to a saddle tap, or clogged water filter, or the temp is too cold,

Here is a link that might be useful: appliance repair forum

o

Yes, the water in the door is slow coming out also...indicating semi plugged water line/filter in water going into ice maker.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here