Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ideas for lowering vent hood

Posted by Texasgal47 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 6:38

The issue is can I keep my currently installed cab in place and add a 3"h wood "box" structure to the bottom to bring the hood I want down 3" to the maximum recommended mounting height of 30"? Glass tile is installed all the way up to the bottom of the current cabinet which I would like to preserve intact if possible (for future hood options).

The cab in place is all wood face frame (30w x 24h x 12d) with 42"h cabs on either side. To attach the 3"h add-on, I have 1.5" on each side of the bottom of the upper cab, the front & back frame of the upper cab, & the side walls of the cabs on either side. The portion of the hood going up into the cab is 11"h and is to be hung by a horizontal mounting bracket at the top. The hood weights 33lbs.

Does this sound worth discussing with the pros? Do you have other suggestions or thoughts? I should add that this is an inside wall with a closet on the opposite side.

This post was edited by Texasgal47 on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 11:59

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ideas for lowering vent hood

Your maximum recommended mounting height, which reads to me to about equal the minimum, is recommended based on capture of the rising effluent by the hood aperture. If the aperture is too small, some effluent will miss and only be removed by room air changes. I doubt that there will be a big difference in capture with a three-inch change in height, but would need to know your stove cooktop dimensions and hood aperture dimensions to comment further.

kas

o

Kas, thanks, I was hoping you would respond. The cooktop is a 30" wide induction. The hood is a Kobe RA-28 series (Model: RA2830SQB) which will be available as an "improved" model the end of next month. My kitchen is small so this hood is my compromise between looks and function. The hood is only about 20" deep. Top cfm is 680. To compromise for the shallow depth, I plan to do my frying and boiling on the back burners and enlarge the 6" duct to a 7" or 8". I will most likely run the vent into the closet, up and then angle back into the attic to meet the roof jack. Going into the wall is an option if the stud placement cooperates. The installer will come out in a week, and we will be cutting into the wall on the closet side to see what we have to work with. The current vent is 5" round emerging from the inside wall for the OTR micro which was there prior to my kitchen remodel. I do not want to go straight up as there is an open vaulted ceiling with decorative lighting above my cabinets.

I live alone but do most of my cooking from scratch. The front of the large back hob is 15.25" from the backsplash. Please post any other questions you may have.

This post was edited by Texasgal47 on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 13:07

o

I think your plan should work.

kas

o

Deep gratitude, kas, for your feedback --- thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here