Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spring1_gw

Miele versus Wolf

Spring1
11 years ago

Hey everyone,

We are in the process of rebuilding our home and I'm at the design stage of our kitchen. My dilemma right now is to choose appliances. I've narrowed my choices to Miele and wolf because they are what are available close to me. I would consider another brand though if it had all the features I wanted!

I've decided for sure on a Miele dishwasher and sub-zero fridge, but am undecided on what to do for the wall ovens, steam oven, microwave and induction cooktop (I've decided against gas because I need the cleaning convenience of a flat top)

The things I like about Miele are:

-the rotisserie in the ovens

- the master chef/favorites programs

- timer on the induction cooktop

- if there is a spill on the cooktop, it will hold one liter of fluid

- stop and go (can pause all cooking if phone rings for example)

- timer can be set on cooktop for each element

- I talked to a chef at a showroom today (who uses multiple different ovens including Miele, wolf, dacor and Viking) and he said the glazing on the inside of the ovens is the best for durability and cleaning

- the Miele coffee system can be plumbed

- the clean touch stainless steel (although I'd love to hear from owners of wolf about fingerprints on their ovens)

The things I don like about Miele:

- the amber color of the Touch control pad

- I don't love the contemporary look, I like the slightly more ndustrial look of the wolf l series. The salesperson suggested that I don't mount the ovens flush to get a little more bulky look

-the steam oven is only steam, not convection. The sales rep did tell me they are comng out with a convection steam version, but couldn't tell me when.

- the steam oven has the water reservoir in the oven (so you have to open the door to add more water), although m not sure if this is an issue, the rep told me the reservoir holds about 2-2-1/2 hours of water. I'm not sure how long I'd ever be cooking more than that.

The things I like about Wolf:

- I like the look of the l series ovens the best, however that wouldn't be the sole reason I would choose wolf

- I like the feature of hiding the controls

- I like the microwave drawers looks wise, but the showroom I went to didn't have an operational one to try, so I'd love to hear any feedback about them

- the pull out racks on the ovens, especially the glider

- Interior lighting on ovens (I can't remember if this is on the miele and I can't find any info on the website)

- the steam/convection oven size is really appealing, if I recall right, this is starting to imitate the Miele master chef with the programmability.)

-I also like that the water reservoir is outside of the main oven cavity, although I'm not sure if this is a deal breaker.

One possibility I'm thinkin of is mixing the two brands (since I alread am with the fridge and dishwasher). I'm hoping to avoid the panels and stick with the stainless, but I'm not sure if the two brands will match okay color wise. My current thought is Miele dishwasher and coffee maker (the plumbed one), subzero fridge and wolf microwave drawer and steam/convection oven. Has anyone mixed the two brands? How did it look? What did you do to match the handles (Miele does have several different handles, but I think they can only be used for the dishwasher).

I will likely match whichever brand of cooktop to the oven I choose.

I am open to other brands that have all he features I want, just the wolf and Miele have been what are consistently recommended.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Comments (9)

• rococogurl
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

In principle, I don't feel there's anything wrong with mixing appliances and I haven't hesitated myself. I think here, and on the kitchen forum as well, a majority of experienced posters would say to pick the best choices for what you want and need and unless there's some overarching technical issue, let that be the guide.

If you were to do a search on any of the appliances you've listed on this forum you would find happy owners and those with complaints for any and every brand.

You seem very focused on appliance features vs how the choices will cook. My suggestion is to attend a class at the Miele and the Wolf showrooms in your area if you haven't already done that and see what's prepared and how the various pieces perform.

Posters on this forum generally are very happy with Miele dishwasher and Miele induction. Again, there are exceptions.
    The same is true for Wolf and Miele ovens, again with the caveat that there are reports of issues to varying degrees on those as well.

My impression is that Gaggenau makes a combi oven that may have what you want (not sure) and their appliances also get high marks from owners.

Of everything you've cited the last thing that I'd worry about is matching an induction cooktop to an oven. The cooktop as 0 features and barely any trim. However, some people want the same brand for simplicity or service purposes.

• Spring1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your input rococo girl. I should have specified in my original post that I think I will be happy with either wolf or Miele in terms of results when I cook. They both seem like really good brands with primarily happy customers.

To my knowledge, there aren't specific classes available to attend, what ive been told is after I buy the appliance to call the sales reps if I have an questions and they will walk me through any problems I'm having. I've made two trips to each showroom now, which are about 3 hours from where we live (there is a local store that sells the appliances but they don't actually do any demos). I'm leaning more towards Miele because the people here have been much more helpful than the wolf reps, but I've heard much more vocal concerns about Miele on here. I'd really be annoyed with myself if I chose something and wished I would have chosen different.

I definitely agree with what you said about the cooktop, think I'd be happy with either the wolf or the Miele and would simply choose the cooktop to match with the ovens.

I'm just curious to see if anyone has used a combination of the brands and how it looked. My primary concern is function, but I still want it to look nice after I spend such a huge amount of money!

• dodge59
    11 years ago

Do a search for Miele ovens on the main appliance page, at the bottom.

To the best of my knowledge, we have seen no low termperature complaints about the Wolf Ovens, but also search Wolf ovens too!

Gary

• Spring1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Gary, I've done those searches, which is neatly the main reason that I'm nervous about buying all Miele. Our old house had a miele dishwasher, which is what I plan to use in our rebuild, and. Don't think I've found an negative comments about subzero, other than maybe the price! So for me, those were easy decisions. It's coming down to the ovens that is killing me!

I love the master chef feature of the Miele and the ability to program my favorites in to use agan. Do you know if something like this is available in wolf? Or if it will be in the future? I'm wondering if their steam convection oven havin some of these features is an indicator that maybe they will in the future? I'm just not sure how of a wait it would be...

Also, I'm in Canada, do you know if there is any difference in the appliances between countries? I've heard that wolf is all made in the us and Miele is all made in germany(with the exception of one plant in the Czech republic), but is there a difference between what is imported to Canada? Be thought about buying from the states directly, but I've been told that voids my warranty and also if that if one of the appliances ever starts on fire, our insurance policy will be void (we Lost our home to a fire about 18 months ago and don't ever want to go that again, the insurance has been a nightmare.)

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

In some cities the showrooms hold demo classes. I don't feel reps want to bother with individuals post purchase. They will refer to customer support.

I have a Miele oven that has been great. BUT it's an older model and pre temp problems reported here. Its not self clean. No idea if temp problems have been corrected yet. I love the rotisserie, the probe and evenness but never use master chef. It requires a learning curve on the combination heat settings. Lots of folks here to help with that. But it's unclear what the deal currently is on the heating issues. I had excellent service from them but others haven't. If you had a DW likely you know them in your area.

Wolf is tops with double convection fans. Few complaints. Rhome can tell you more on that. She uses hers daily. But there have been issues as well though everyone raves about Wolf service.

With SZ fridge seems to make sense to go with Wolf ovens and Miele cooktop and DW. Larsi can tell you about Miele induction.

• dodge59
    11 years ago

From reading, here in GW as well as other web-sites, just about any Miele product, except the ovens, are highly praised and folks are happy with them, IE, Induction Cooktop, DW (I've had a miele Optima for over 5 years and it's been trouble free, washes well, quiet, and luv the cutlery tray.

Larsi is a Huge and I do mean Huge Miele afficiando, but even He, and a "credit to his honesty" has had some problems with the Miele ovens, but rather than "Put words in his mouth", you should try to find those posts by him.

It would be nice to have someone buy the new Miele ovens to see if the problem is resolved, but that would be a bit much to ask of you, (Ya Thinks)?

AS far as the Wolf goes, as mentioned, Rhome would be your best bet on inputs there, as to what it can and can not do.

Good luck on any decisions You make!!!

Gary

• dodge59
    11 years ago

I would try a "Shout out" here to Baver & Larsi.

Click the link below, to see their comments about the Miele ovens.

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Oven Temperatures

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

Fortunately, you have options. I wouldn't be put off by the Wolf reps rushing you out.