Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maywoodw

30" vs 36" range

maywoodw
10 years ago

Original kitchen redo plan was a 36" American Range Performer and a speed oven eg Smeg, Advantium, Meile etc.

Then got to thinking I could gain some counter surface if I went with a 30" Performer Range and both a speed oven and a combi steam oven.

Any thoughts on the trade offs/advantages or disadvantages of either set up? I am thinking as far as the cooking, it is a wash between the two.

Comments (7)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Obviously, the 36 oven is larger but both accept a full size sheet pan.

On the 30" rangetop there is 6" of wasted space between the burner grates and you can't slide pans across from one grate to another.

You can on the 36" and there is more landing space when taking stuff out of the oven.

I would not go with the 30" for counter space; I would only go for the 30" if I couldn't quite swing the money for the 36".

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    10 years ago

Actually, I would ditch the range, and get a 36" rangetop and separate 30" wall oven or ovens. You said you're going to get a speed oven, so stack it above a traditional wall oven and have the best of all worlds. The problem with a 36" range is that the 36" oven takes a long time to heat, and it is rare you will need all those 36 inches of the oven. Even at Thanksgiving, the turkey fits fine in a 30" oven, and the side dishes will need to cook at a different temperature than the turkey, so it's best to have separate ovens. Meanwhile a 36" rangetop will allow big pots and pans without crowding, and a landing space to move your pans off the burner.

• FmrQuahog
    10 years ago

Excellent post and advice, Mrs. Nyef. We are doing precisely what you've suggested in our new kitchen, for the exact reasons you cited.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    10 years ago

Thank you FmrQuahog. I want to clarify, in case the OP does not know this, that I was talking about a rangetop, not a cooktop. I'll link photos. For the OP, I'll link the American Range sealed burner rangetop since s/he was looking at that brand. For Deeageaux, I'll link the Bluestar open burner rangetop, which IMHO makes the superior rangetop (don't like Bluestar ranges much, but I love their rangetops).

American Range Rangetop

Bluestar Rangetop

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Separating the rangetop from the gas oven increases cost.

Getting double electric ovens means you lose a gas oven for roasting meats.

American Range does not make a Performer rangetop so if you still want a powerful open burner rangetop you need to step up to a more expensive Bluestar.

Putting ovens on a wall stack place one oven(s) too high while another(others) too low.

Plus you don't have an oven underneath the rangehood, particularly useful if you have fish in the oven.

I have a Capital Culinarian 36" range and a 24" Gaggenau wall oven. From time to time I do fill that gas oven although it is a bit smaller than the AR one. It takes at most an extra 5 minutes to heat a 36 oven vs a 30"; when prepping a large meal that is irrelevant.

If separating the rangetop from the gas oven below were all positives and no negatives everyone on GW would do it.

• friedajune
    10 years ago

Usually Deeageaux I agree with you. This time I do not. My biggest regret in my kitchen reno was to install a range instead of separate 36" rangetop and 30" wall ovens.

About your comment that everyone on GW would do it if it were so perfect, that's a sweeping statement that I am surprised you would make. As you know, everything in a kitchen has its pros and cons. People do not install separate cooktop/rangetop and wall ovens because of (a) the extra cost, as you mentioned, (b) some people like the "hearth" aesthetics of a range, and (c) lack of wall space for wall ovens. Many people's kitchens are not big enough to separate the cooktop from the oven.

MaywoodW seems to have a pretty good budget, given his/her OP. Also seems to have the wall space for wall ovens, given his/her OP. Regarding your comment about stacking one oven above the other means one is too high and the other too low, I think it's just the opposite. A range's oven is so low to the ground, one thing people cite they most prefer over a range is a wall oven's waist height for basting the turkey, etc. If you want to put a third oven in a stack, then I'd agree with you, but with two wall ovens, both heights are pretty ergonomic.

I agree with you that a gas oven roasts meats better than electric, but it's not enough of difference to ditch the idea of rangetop/wall ovens.

I agree with you that a wall oven won't be able to be exhausted the way a range can that is directly under a hood. But there are tens of thousands of kitchens all over the world that have wall ovens and are OK with that.

I think a 36" range's oven is not a good use of space, and will rarely be filled. Most people report a significant difference in heating times between a 30" oven and a 36" oven, so your 5 minutes difference is unusual.

Dee, I respect your opinions, and valuable input on this forum, but really, I cannot wait for my "next" kitchen, when I can install a rangetop and separate wall ovens instead of the range I have now.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

akchicago,

There a millions of people with ranges in their kitchens and do just find. And most are quite happy.Maybe not so many with 36" ranges but quite a few that are happy. I am absolutely thrilled with my 36" Culinarian Range and somebody will take it from me from my cold dead hands.

I never said there wasn't a downsides to a range, like the low placement of ovens.

I never said " The wall oven cooktop option is never a good option." It is the right choice for some. If the OP had a very large budget he would be asking about Bluestars and Culinarians not the least expensive open burner range.

If he had massive amounts of real estate he would not be concerned about 6" of countertop space.

It is absolutely true if the wall oven-cooktop was overwhelmingly superior to the range then everyone(or almost everyone given budgets) would have that in their kitchen.

Almost by definition a double wall oven will have one a little too high and one too low. You can' have both at ideal height because they would occupy the same space. Against the laws of physics :)

My sister is 5' tall and has a double wall oven and cooktop.

Every now and again I notice burn marks on her arms from reaching over a hot upper oven door to place something in the oven.( We come over to her house on Sundays while her family comes to our house on Wednesday.)

BTW I respect your opinion and attitude in this thread, I just disagree with your opinion.