Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pnwhs

griddle plus induction out there?

PNWhs
9 years ago

Hi all,

Technology and options might not be quite there yet - but I am wondering if anyone has come across any brand offering a griddle of 24 inches or greater with an induction cooktop as well? The griddle would preferably be gas.

At this point I know Wolf has a 24 in griddle as an option on a rangetop, and I have heard that there might be other brands out there that do. Wolf only offers gas burners to partner with this griddle.

Or maybe someone has a recommendation for my large griddle wish (yes for a residence)?

TIA!

Comments (4)

• plllog
    9 years ago

You could get two different units. I did that to get (Gaggenau 24") induction and (Wolf 15") gas. One of the ultra high end European ranges used to offer both induction and a griddle, alongside a lot of gas, but I think both elements were small units, maybe 15-18", and at the time I saw it, the induction wasn't available in the U.S.

You can get your larger griddle as a separate unit. I think some are restaurant style with the grease tray, and there are lots of teppanyakis out there. You could pair that with any sized induction top you want. You just need a few inches between to have something to attach them to.

• PNWhs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do you (or anyone) have specific units/ brand names/ sizes for me to Google and find more about them? I'm fine with two separate units, I just don't know where to start to find a good griddle for home use that is at least 24". The decent appliance store I went to didn't have anything of the sort for me to look at.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Your best bet for gas is probably American Range, which has a 24" griddle rangetop in their line. The actual working surface will be a tad smaller, probably 22".

BlueStar makes a 24" rangetop. They don't list it as available with a single 24" griddle, but that doesn't mean they don't make it. Get in touch with their customer service.

Wolf has a "dual griddle" option on their larger rangetops. You might be able to get that on their 30" model, which would get you more of a true 24" in the griddle proper, but again, they might not actually make it.

There's a greater choice in electric teppanyakis. Cook-N-Dine is one of the best known around here, though they're German, I think, rather than Japanese. They have both rectangular and round models. This style of griddle deforms to a bit of a bowl shape when hot, like a traditional flame fired teppan yaki.

Another brand (I don't know if it does the bowl thing, but Cook-N-Dine were touting themselves for it years ago), is Teppandine. They also have both rectangular and round, and 60 cm is about 24".

This kind of teppanyaki follows the Japanese aesthetic and has a remote knob on a wire which is usually concealed in the cabinetry, but can probably be deck mounted if you prefer.

There are many others but I don't know if they come in your required size.

If you can sacrifice some size, and have plenty of money, you might want to look at the Gaggenau Vario 15" units. I almost got them when I did up my kitchen. They have 2 burner gas, a griddle with sidewalls that they call teppanyaki, though it doesn't do the bowl shaped thing, which has two temperature controls, an ultra powerful double ring induction unit for which you can get a special, dedicated wok to do true wok cooking on induction, and a two element standard induction unit. These all have face mounted knobs, so give an appearance like a rangetop. They're very expensive, however. I ended up deciding I could make do fine with a teppanyaki style griddle on my big induction element, and get a utensil drawer out of it. :)

I hope this gives you a good starting point.

• PNWhs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much plllog! That gives me a few things to look at. Yes the Wolf does do the 24" griddle with four burners, two on each side, and that is the only one I saw that would fit what I am looking for so far. I will check out the ones you mentioned!