Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ilve range

Posted by betsycalifornia (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 08 at 1:52

Hi - I'm a frequent reader, new participant! I'm looking for information about the Ilve Majestic range. It's an italian range made by Eurochef, looks a bit like the Lacanche or LaCornue. An appliance dealer here in So. Calif. has recommended it, but it seems virtually unknown in the US. I'm in the market for a really lovely 48" range and do a lot of cooking for a big family. Any suggestions or input? The looks of the CornuFe are great, but I hear their performance is so-so. I love the Lacanche but am a little scared of deviating from the US 48" standard size in case we ever need to replace the range with another model. The Ilve has a similar appearance and neat features like a standard rotisserie, standard warming drawer, standard dual-fuel... But I wish I knew more about it. I had also thought about the Thermador ProGrand, it's beautiful but I've read terrible things about their reliability. I'd be really grateful for information. THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ilve range

I saw the Thermador the other day and it is very industrial looking, quite impressive. Consumer Reports says that if you must go with a pro-style range, they recommend the Thermador.

o

Consumer Reports says that if you must go with a pro-style range, they recommend the Thermador.

- Better do some more research - there's a notorious blog out there in which a NY woman details here ongoing war with T'dor to get her range repaired/replaced. A formere CR bigwig from BSH (Thermador's parent) has chimed in here and elsewhere re: the state of affairs for cust. service at BSH.

Once agian CR is not publishing an entirelly accurate view.

o

Betsycalifornia,
Did you ever find out anything on the Ilve range? I am in Oklahoma and saw one yesterday and am very intrigued. I was going with the Wolf but think I have changed my mind. Don't know anything about Italian ranges and want to know more. I like the closed burner and all the features offered by Ilve. They have been making kitchen equipment for 50 years in Italy.
Let me know if you have anymore info. I have to decide in a few weeks (am also considering American if I can lay my eyes on one).

o

antss, I know nothing about Thermador but I think I know of whom you speak when you refer to the former Customer rep from BSH who pipes up here once a while. I've seen his responses to the Bosch DW questions now and again. From my knowledge gleaned from my own lone Bosch DW, it is safe to say that the fellow is hardly credible. He's never given a single piece of actual assistance to the person with the problem that even folks like me with their brief experiences with the unit can proffer. There are problems borne of a mis-installation where perhaps the European unit has been installed according to stock American conventions; these should be easy enough to point out for someone who was purportedly in the know about these units - but this guy's stock response is that hey! this is a popular complaint with BSH products - it's a "known design flaw". He's a disgruntled sackee in the best possible representation for him. If not, if he's genuine, the fact that BSH hired him for a representative speaks more to BSH's customer service (of which I'm not the greatest fan) standards than anything else.

o

After seeing this post, I found the Ilve on AJ Madison; I'd never heard of if before. I agree it's very pretty but did you notice that the ovens are only 13.75" deep? I thought that sounded a bit too shallow. Just something to consider.

o

Darn!! You are right. Maybe this is common with the Italian ovens--not sure. I will have a second 30" oven--probably a Wolf. So not sure what to do. I also want to look at an American. Their website seems to be down this weekend. I will call them tomorrow to see if I can find a dealer in Dallas or some other place in driving distance. Glad you brought that up--the owner of he dealership certainly did not.

o

I don't know where that 13.75 inch depth came from but I just measured the inside of the oven on a 36" Ilve and it has 15.75 inches of depth. That 13.75 may be close to the height of the oven interior.

o

I just checked the AJ Madison site again, where I got the numbers, and they must have them listed incorrectly. They say 13.75" depth for each oven and just over 17" high for each oven. The data entry clerk must have keyed wrong. Hope bobber4 sees your post, djh64. It was very nice of you to take the time to measure the oven and make this correction. Thanks.

o

Wow, you guys are great! djh64 do you own a Ilve? If so, what do you think? And if not, what do you think? I know nothing about Italian appliances, buy I am totally awestruck by this one.

o

I called the importer for ILVE ranges - the oven depth is 17 11/16". They also said they would call AJ Madison to correct their website.

The importer is EuroChef USA if you have questions you can call them, they're very helpful.

I saw this range at a Kitchen and Bath show in Chicago and it's absolutely beautiful and built better than a Mercedes!

o

We just became a dealer near Boston! I couldn't resist.

o

I just saw an ilve and thought it was great! I'd never seen nor heard of it before... Just wanted to follow-up and see what others think about this range...

o
RE: ilve range - anyone using one?

Is anyone using the Ilve? Looks beautiful - just wondering about performance. Thinking about Blue star after reading about the comments for the Blue star

o

spruce40, some of the Bluestar owners are having oven quality issues. If you can wait, check out the thread on the new Capital Culinarian that's coming out - sounds really ideal, although it lacks the sheer beauty of the ilve and the Lacanche.

o

I just got back from a week in Australia, where to my surprise Ilve is "just another brand" (or seemed to be positioned that way). For example, ads for Ilve ranges in the Sunday newspaper, something you'd never see here in the USA. And the Ilve name on the sides of repair vans, etc.

Therefore I think they might be like DeLonghi: marketed as a 'specialty' item in the USA but not elsewhere.

For whatever that's worth. I guess I didn't think of them in the same breath as Lacanche.

o

My new kitchen was just finished and my ILVE range in the focal point. The first thing I did was to bake pies and a banana bread. Everything came out moist, evenly baked with a nice brown color.

o

I'm interested in purchasing an ILVE however I've just learned of them so I'm interested in comments from ILVE owners!

o

I have one - blue. If you do a google search (maybe even the search at the bottom of the page) you'll find my comments and those of I think one other owner. Glad to say more if you have any specific questions.

o

Are you pleased with your ilve and is the oven fan noisy?

o

Are you pleased with your ilve and is the oven fan noisy?

o

It has a fan that turns on when the oven is on. It's a hum, but you know it's on. I don't find it super loud, but it is louder when the convection is also kicked on.
More here:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg02005309598.html?19
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0314360825174.html?9
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0409155917176.html

o

Chester I know this thread is old, but I just ordered my Ilve 36 duel fuel based on your comments. There quite simply isn't much data out there to go on other than the manufacturer. It should be installed around July 9th of this year. For anyone curious I will be glad to post my thoughts on it when I get the chance to try it out. I went back and forth between the Ilve 36 and the AGA pro plus 36. The Ilve simply seemed more versatile and although the AGA listed bigger cubic feet there were some people complaining about the dept of the oven which is a big limiter to me. Anyway the reviews you posted were very helpful in your thought process.

o

Ocnier, We're contemplating ordering the dual fuel 36 inch Ilve. What have your experiences been thusfar? Any problems with noise or other issues that others have raised?

o

@ocnier any updates on your range how do you like it any issues yet what about the fan noise? I’m very close to purchasing need some reassurance!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here