Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agentslim

Range hood for 48in CC with grill

agentslim
11 years ago

We are building from scratch and I have been reading the past debates for Cfm needed.

Our Range will be CC with 6 burners and a 12in grill

I am going with 54in Wide 30in High modernaire hood.

The two options for the inline blower are

the Fantech FKD10Xl with 1266cfm

or the larger FKD12XL,2016cfm this will need 12in duct so I must decide now.

Any opinions is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments (5)

• zartemis
    11 years ago

Will you go with a 27" deep (front-to-back) hood? And by 30" inch high do you mean that is how high over the range it will be mounted (if so, that's good).

Provided you have good ducting (not too long, nor too many bends), the 1266 should be plenty unless you really do plan to run all burners with open pots plus the grill simultaneously and want to be able to vent that.

If you are considering going with the 2016 fan, check with fantech about what it pulls at the lowest setting (and also check your local code and MUA issues).

Ours isn't the scale of yours, but here's a data point:

We have the Abbaka 1400 external blower, with a 36" range and 42" hood. We never need to run it on high and wish it was lower at the lowest setting. We should have gotten the 1000cfm one. At high, it was so powerful it sucked up some of the metal panels surrounding the baffles (Modernaire, our hood maker, replaced them with heavier duty ones). There is so much air flow that the baffle noise is very loud on high and higher than we'd like on low (if you take out the baffles, you hardly hear a thing - because our blower is remote and there is a silencer as well, so nearly 100% of the noise is air-over-baffle noise).

Also, if you do go with 2016, get a hood with the largest square footage of baffle area possible. Our hood has spacers which reduce the baffle area, increasing the noise. We plan to take out those spacers and get a custom baffle to expand the area to reduce the noise. (yes, that will reduce the air speed -- but so would getting a lower CFM fan which the hood is rated for).

• agentslim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks zartemis,
    We will be getting a 27" deep hood, seems like it is recommended to do that here.

So it sounds like I should just stick to the 1266cfm, it should be sufficient and easier to deal with.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Fan tech blowers are cheap and reliable but loud.

A GWer had a neigbor complain to the city about her external fantech blower.

Inspector came out to measure decibels at the property line and they had to change the blower.

Unless you live on a farm or some isolated place I would strongly consider the Abbaka that Modern Aire sells

• agentslim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize the fantech inline blowers would be loud. Local appliance store recommended an inline blower.

• colin3
    11 years ago

Where are you putting the blower?

Folks who like the Fantech seem to have an attic to put it in. That lets you insert a muffler between your kitchen and blower, keep the blower inside the attic cavity, and put its vent high on the roof.

I had to vent horizontally out the kitchen wall and straight at the neighbor's outdoor hangout, so I went with an Abbaka. You can still hear it, but it's a nice low hum.