Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
4mamma

Mamma Aga survives molteni saga

4mamma
11 years ago

Well... what an experience this has been...

I bid on various Molteni ranges... and still don't have one. Investigated french ranges, pro-American style ranges, and finally decided to settle on a British range.

Needless to say... I have gained so much more knowledge from this experience. The knowledge - I don't believe there is one perfect range out there for me. IMO Molteni came very close... but in the end, I just couldn't spend that kind of $$$ on a stove and still need to purchase other appliances (e.g. warming drawer, 2nd oven)

Am I sacrificing power... definitely. Nothing is more powerful than a 30+K BTU burner. Will I miss that power... no b/c I never experienced what a 30K burner could do. My original stove has ~15K.

Am I sacrificing performance... I don't think so.

Am I gaining capability and capacity... I think so.

Am I spending less $$$... definitely!

I went to a live cooking demonstration on an Aga cooker and had the pleasure of sampling the food. The chef was able to prepare pizza (right on the floor of the roasting oven), roasted chicken and asparagus in the roasting oven. Sauteed vegetables on the boiling plate and put them to hold in the warming oven. Baked trout in the simmering oven. Boiled water then cooked rice on that same boiling plate and let the rice finish in the same simmering oven as the fish. Made fresh crepes on the simmering plate while baking a cake in the baking oven. I was floored! The Aga's ability to handle so many dishes simultaneously is amazing. IMO I can't beat this kind of efficiency.

I have attached a clip of Martha Stewart cooking brunch for a group of people on an Aga. Although "some" dramatization occurred... you really do have this flexibility with the Aga.

The other thing that I found was that there was no transfer of flavours btwn the foods cooked in the same ovens. The cooker (which runs off of only 15K BTUs) only lost a smidgen of power... nothing that effected its performance or cooking time. The chicken and fish were moist tender and juicy. The flavour of the vegetables could be discerned from each other and weren't mushy. The pizza was crisp (not hard) on the bottom and soft and tender on the inside.

So, I've made my decision to purchase a 4 cooker classic Aga with companion (in red). I don't think I'll need a more powerful burner. The demo (as well as the Aga owner that I was able to speak directly to) proved that I will be able to boil in minutes and not 10's of minutes... without losing power.

I have my site inspection booked for Monday. Apparently, you can not purchase an Aga without confirmation (from the Aga installer) that your floors can carry the weight (~1200-1500lbs).

So... here's my question:

Now, I need to decide on the fuel source - propane, electric or gas?

I am leaning towards electric but I'm a little nervous about the energy usage. The cooker takes 24hr to heat but is then maintained at 6K BTUs. I think air conditioning units run on this. I believe most people have gas... the companion will be DF. I thought propane was just for BBQing!

Your thoughts, comments, opinions and feedback are welcome.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clip showing the capability and capacity of the Aga

Comments (36)

• kaseki
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My impression is that at present, per BTU, natural gas is significantly lower priced than electricity and propane. This is probably due to the recent surge in natural gas production due to "fracking" (rock fracturing and related technologies). But one's property has to be passed by a natural gas line to take advantage.

If the choice were between propane and electricity, then the costs would have to be looked at more carefully, accounting for predicted electricity rate increases due to EPA actions, and whether the electricity supply is stable or potentially down for several days at a time due to extreme weather.

kas

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

Assuming that the 6/15 ratio translates to electricity, it would cost me about $1700 a year for electricity. I'd be looking for a cheaper option.

• mojavean
    11 years ago

Another consideration for you in making this determination (fuel type) is what are the required service intervals for the various options? I think you have to have it serviced more frequently if you are using a combustion heat source vs. electric, although I am not familiar with what is recommended. But of the two types you mention, Propane or NG, I would certainly take Natural Gas if it is available. Propane is more expensive and you have to maintain a storage tank on your property.

I know AGA cookers are popular in the UK (at 53 degrees N. Lat) where they serve as supplemental heating appliances in addition to cooking chores. I have a friend who raved about hers when she was living there. Not sure how that experience translates to lower latitudes in North America, though. In any case, wish you the best of luck with your decision.

• 4mamma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We did have a power outage a few years back when the there was a massive blackout. We were out of electric power for 2 days. During that time, a gas cooker would have come in handy vs electric. I am located in the city so we have good power supply.

Energy usage is highest during the 2 months of summer (July and August) when people tend to run their A/C at max. We have never been that free with A/C b/c I prefer the warmer weather and use fans to circulate the cooled air. The Aga owners who I've spoken with adjust their A/C for the area their cooker is in.

I haven't heard of the 6/15 ratio before... please explain. But $1700 per year is a lot. However, I think I would also see a decline in our heating cost? We usually run the furnace from October to March/April during the cooler months, winter and into early spring.

Also, I've heard that the electric cooker transfers more heat than the gas... Can any Aga owners verify this?

Regarding the service intervals... the installer and owner has said that the servicing is minimal. Usually the thermocouple is the first thing that needs to be replaced several years after the installation. I believe the warranty indicates servicing at 2.5 and 5 year intervals but I'm still verifying this.

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

You said the burner is 15K BTU but once warm, the oven is maintained at 6K BTU.

The electric cooker is rated at 2500W, so I'm guesstimating that the oven is maintained at 6/15 of that, or 1000W. I pay around 19 cents per KWH, so .19*24*365= $1664.

If my 1KW assumption is correct, it's like leaving 17 60W lightbulbs burning constantly in the bathroom. And I choose bathroom because that's another thing you use an hour or so a day, plus or minus depending on your constitution and the length of your showers. Yes, you'll benefit from the heat in the cooler months, but I'd imagine that would be somewhat localized and dependent on the layout of your house. Kind of like leaving that bathroom door open to help light the hallway. ;-)

• wekick
    11 years ago

How much will you have to run the A/C to counter all this heat in the summer or will you run it in the summer?

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

If you are in a warm climate that uses AC, then you will be paying twice the energy rate to be able to keep the range warm and cool the room down. I personally would not be able to ever justify that very non-green energy expenditure even if I had unlimited funding for any range. Nor would I want to deal with the other option of shutting the range off from April through October.

Now, a non classic AGA that does not always remain "on" would be another story. It would never be my choice, but it wouldn't be "automatically" "out" of consideration like a classic AGA would.

• 4mamma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well... we passed the site inspection. Our old floors will hold the weight of the Aga with module (aka companion).

Regarding the energy source... the installer indicated that the gas option is cheapest and costs approx. $600 per year. Foodonastump... your calculations were accurate. They estimated approx. $1600 per year for electric. This is a large foot print isn`t it GreenDesigns.

Needless to say, we have choosen to go with a direct vent gas cooker with an attached module. Although gas is more expensive to install (but less expensive to purchase), we will save in the years to come.

Other considerations... Wekick - it was suggested that we add another air vent close to the cooker for extra cooling during the summer months. In order to do this, we must first check to ensure that our AC unit can handle the load. I`m pretty sure it can but I will need to verify.

I don`t think I`ll turn off the unit during the summer months (afraid of it rusting). Perhaps I`ll turn it down if its creating that much of an issue. Today, we had an extreme heat alert (28C but feels like 36C due to humidity).

It was also suggested to leave at least a 42`` space (48`` is best) in front of the cooker. This will allow full access to the ovens and ease when moving things in and out of the cooker. My current layout allotted 32`` so I was thankful for that advice.

So... Mamma Aga is on her way to finally placing her stove order and it feels good!

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

Good luck, Mamma, I'm glad you found something you love! I have to admit, I followed your Molteni thread because I was living vicariously, and I was expecting to be SO jealous of your range. How ironic that three months later you end up with something you couldn't pay me to put in my house. Each to his own!

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

The important thing is that you're matched up with a range that suits you as a cook. I feel this decision is very personal and, no matter what anyone else says or thinks, if it works for you that's all that counts. I read many threads and wonder what the posters are thinking in terms of decisions they make but it's always fascinating to see what moves each one to that choice. You've done your due diligence which tells you what you need to know.

Hope you will post your kitchen plans on the kitchen forum before moving ahead. They will tear it apart and put it back together again and you'll get a better kitchen for all wading through various opinions and options. A 32" aisle planned anywhere in a kitchen isn't a positive sign.

Will look forward to eventually seeing photos of the Aga and the new kitchen.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

At $1600 a year to keep the range running, you are not counting the additional costs during the summer months for the additional heat load on the AC. Add in another $133 (or more, depending on the efficiency of your AC) for each month that you use AC, and that only gets you back to the starting point exterior temperature. NOW add any "normal" AC costs to cool below that temperature to make the house comfortable. That's at least an extra $533 for the summer months, just to end up where you'd be without the range hooked up. That's NOT $1600. That's $2133 at current energy costs. Who knows what energy costs will soar to in the future?

You can cook every single one of the dishes that so amazed you on a "standard" 48" prosumer gas range and not have it cost that much in 10 years time. Gas for cooking is about 5-7% of a home's total energy usage. You really don't use a lot when you have electronic ignition and no standing pilot. I'm totally serious here. Gas usage for me is around $12 a month. That's only $1440 for 10 YEARS of cooking! You'll be paying $21K to have a virtually identical cooking experience. I know you were set to go with an expensive Molteni, but at least that expense only impacted your wallet once. This much overage in energy consumption impacts not just you, but your surrounding locale and world.

This is beyond the HumVee of cooking appliances! It's irresponsible that these things are still sold anywhere outside the Arctic Circle.

• marthavila
    11 years ago

That's my gal, Roc -- ever the voice of reason and civility! :-)

And, congrats to you 4M! I am definitely looking forward to following your steps on the next stage of this journey and in seeing how it all comes together. Needless to say, I'm also especially looking forward to seeing an active Aga classic cooker owner on this forum as well! LOL!

• marthavila
    11 years ago

Gee LWO, I guess we were cross-posting when I added my comments. Which is only to say that, even though your math is a bit off (4M is going with the gas-fired cooker @ $600 per year, not the electric at $1600), you still make a good case with respect to the Aga classic cooker's energy consumption. This has been a longstanding, popularly held and justified complaint with that unit. Individual homeowner willingness to bear that burden is just that -- an individual decision. However, in these times when there is an increasing collective will to go greener, you do make a point as to how our individual choices can impact others. FWIW.

• wallycat
    11 years ago

I agree with a lot posted here...Lots of luck and many happy cooking experiences. The AGA is gorgeous and will be a great focal point, but in terms of energy consumption/being green, not for me.
    I had dreams of a 6 burner propane and after reading a lot here, ended up with an induction. Would not go back to flame for anything. Clean up is a breeze, response is amazing. Ovens can be purchased above and beyond the cooktop so larger families or more avid cooks can get as many as they need.
    Again, good thing there is chocolate or vanilla for each of us to pick.

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

Whatever the fuel costs calculations might be, the Molteni wasn't any great shakes as a fuel saver. So why go there on the Aga when 4M clearly is focused on other aspects of this choice?

Also, I'd love to hear opinions on that 48" prosumer range to recommend -- one that's a really super great choice all around, has a superb top and excellent ovens and isn't a service/maintenance nightmare, has a great simmer, and isn't north of $30K? Bit of a hard case to make depending on viewpoint, cooking demands and performance -- particularly when performance is as subjective as it appears to be given the scorn recently heaped on some very high end choices. Bit of an issue, that.

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

rococogurl - Unless I'm completely mistaken the Molteni provides heat on demand. Saying it's no fuel saver is like debating a car that gets 15mpg vs 30, when the topic at hand is someone who plans to leave their car idling 24/7 when not in use. Personal choice? Sure. Valid for more environmental-minded folks to voice their disgust? Sure.

Do you really feel comfortable that someone who less than two weeks ago was looking for a Molteni and then became interested in an Aga Traditional Cooker, who made the statement "I prefer traditional cooking with the luxury of advanced technology" has really done her "due diligence"? These things aren't that expensive, yet no-one on this forum that I'm aware of (aside from bulldinkie who I've not seen post here in a while) owns one or even considers one.

I do wish Mamma luck with it, but having followed and participated in her threads I feel compelled to offer MY opinion that she's making a huge mistake.

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

p.s. My objection isn't just for green concerns. I'm also hoping that she didn't get sucked in by one demonstration put on by professionals whose job it is to make their well-planned meals look so simple to prepare. People here love to hate electric because it's relatively unresponsive. But yet Aga can come out and make your choice of boiling plate or simmer plate sound appealing? Advanced technology indeed.

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

food -- I've seen a great variation here in the decision making process. I've seen people drop $8K on a range sight unseen. I've seen marketing taken as fact. I've seen people convinced to purchase a range I wouldn't personally take for free. I've seen well respected products dissed because they are expensive. YKWIM.

So I do applaud any effort made to attend a working cooking demonstration before buying a product. It is part of the due diligence IMO and how could I judge if someone else has done enough? I know how much I have done, and need to do, but some people just want to buy a stove.

I do have a friend with that Aga. It's in a farm house in an area adjacent to the kitchen where it does double duty as a heater in the winter. They turn it off and use the regular kitchen in the warm months. He loves it and feels it does some things like no other range.

As we all know, to use the car analogy, some people are still buying Hummers and big trucks. If, knowing what the range is the OP wants to buy it, that's her choice. We could cite a downside to almost any range discussed here. She doesn't appear to be daunted by either the cost or the heat. And I'm always surprised at how certain brands are open for criticism while others appear to be sacred cows.

I agree, it's better to use less energy and you've every right to point out that this isn't a green choice. Perhaps you can convince the OP to change her mind. I just feel she seems to know what she wants and it's never been the usual.

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

$20K? I'll go out on a limb and suggest that for most people who are in the market for ranges in the 60" class, an extra $5 or so isn't going to hugely impact their decision.

That "cooking approach" is a lot of my concern for Mamma. Anyway, I've stated my opinions, so there's no need for me to drag this out any longer.

• 4mamma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes... my pendulum has swung in many directions... from American to French to British... I was wondering if I would ever make a choice but I have... my pendulum has stopped and I am getting married! Not only to a cooker, but (yes - Foodonastump) to a cooking approach. But, if I can survive natural labour 4 times in 5 years... I can learn a cooking approach. It will be FUN!

Many have voiced their dislike for my choice and I'm sure many will continue to freely share their opinions... but, I did open myself up to that didn't I... I'm a BIG girl, I think I can handle it. Hopefully, no one will throw green paint on my house. ;0D Energy consumption is an important factor and societal issue... that's why I chose to power using gas.

I would have loved a Molteni and would have re-named my postings (and maybe even my 4-cyclinder car!) "molteni mamma". I wasn't expecting anyone to be "jealous" of a range... over what's cooked on the range - maybe, but not over a range.

Lastly, I wasn't "sold" by a salesman. Yes... a very cute salesman first tweaked my interest in the Aga and then an even more handsome salesman sold me my Aga, but, I didn't buy it floating in a cloud. I love the concept of how the Aga cooks. The Aga has been compared to a Clydesdale but there is something majestic and intriguing about those old horses. To me, there's something very clean and natural about how the Aga cooks and the way the food tastes.

Simply put, I love to cook. Better yet, I love to cook healthy and delicious meals that will nourish my family. As I've said many times... the Aga is not a Molteni and it will never be a Molteni. I hope that I don't regret my decision (it cost too much), but, I don't think so.

I am comforted by the fact that I'm not a lone ranger... that there is a small group of owners that I can connect with out there. In fact, one owner lives not too far from me and we now speak regularly!

I am unique and I tend to like unique things. The Aga is unique... it has been around a long long time (which also gives me comfort).

Thanks for everyone's thoughts (good, bad, jealous or otherwise!), opinions, feedback, help, advice, support and comments. I really appreciate and enjoy reading the discussion.

I will post the pictures of the cooker once I get it. Apparently, it takes about 5 months. I'll keep you posted on developments.

Also, as suggested (many times) I will request input on my kitchen layout in that forum.

In the meantime, I have attached a funny clip of the Aga Saga woman. My sisters are now having a GREAT time using these segments to poke fun!

Kind regards,
    Mamma Aga

Here is a link that might be useful: The Catherine Tate Show - Aga Saga Woman

• marthavila
    11 years ago

Hip, Hip, Hooray, 4Mamma! Good for you! Like you, I appreciate unique, quality things and tend to frequently color outside the lines. Your choice, even if not a popular one, sounds like it's quite informed and sound. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more about your own Aga Saga! -)

• wwu123
    11 years ago

Wow, the electric version of that Aga would cost about $3000 a year to operate here in California, though the gas one probably less than $1k/yr...

Nonetheless, there are probably hundreds of thousands of folks with a swimming pool or hot tub consuming just as much energy every year and maybe hardly even using it. So while it's a lot of energy compared to other stoves, it's more modest in perspective to other hobbies. My own hobby is saltwater aquariums - I have a modest-sized one, but know others have larger tanks that would consume as much electricity as this stove.

If somebody's one true passion and maybe even identity revolves around cooking and being in the kitchen a lot, it seems this is a luxury, but a worthwhile luxury...

• 4mamma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marthvila - Thanks for the encouraging words! I will definitely keep you all posted on my own Aga Saga experiences.

I guess as energy rates and consumption vary (depending on temperature etc.) the cost will also vary. Electric Agas are definately easier to install (you just plug it in) but it certainly "cost" more. I figure that's why most people have gas.

I wonder how many cookers are used in the warmer climates?

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

In England you sometimes see drying racks on hoists in front of the Aga cookers as they are also used for heating the kitchen and drying laundry.

As I mentioned above, my friend in Vermont who only uses it in the cold months and turns it off otherwise. He loves it but it's not in the main kitchen -- there's a sort of secondary kitchen hallway where it sits. They have a huge family kitchen (4 kiddos) in addition with a 60-inch range, extra ovens, 2 dishwashers and double sinks.

• wallycat
    11 years ago

Good to hear you are confident in your decision, but jealous...I doubt anyone here is jealous. Eco-concerns, yes, jealous...doubtful. As many have posted, just because you can spend a lot of money doesn't mean you should--if it impacts the environment (others).
    I know many people who love to cook, I included, who spend lots of time in the kitchen creating exciting meals...that and spending/using a lot of resources is mutually exclusive.

• 4mamma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Aga owner that I've been chatting with also indicated that she dries damp clothes as well! It does make sense... my kids will love having warm toasty boots in the winter and my tea towels and lunch bags will dry much faster... oh, the world of possibilites :0)

Wallycat - I agree that spending and using resources are mutually exclusive. The jealous comment was directed in response to someone's direct comment... "I was expecting to be SO jealous of your range"... I was merely poking fun at the commenter... having a chuckle... sharing a smile... inserting a bit of humour (perhaps corny, but humour nonetheless). I wasn't trying to indicate that people should be jealous of my cooker. In fact, I feel just the opposite.

• barjohng
    11 years ago

My view is if you like it go for it and enjoy it. As a scientist, this environmental religiousness drives me nuts. If people understood haw bad these mathematical models are at predicting anything and the statistical uncertainty they would ignore this dribble. A simple word of advise: Follow the money. See who benefits and who loses and you see what is behind it. The "father" of the theory Dr. Lovelock has now partially recanted stating that the models did not predict what is actually happening and need to be scrapped or dramatically changed.

This same nonsense has made many of our appliances work worse than appliances from 20 years ago. That is progress?

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

Yeah and in case you missed the news, skeptic physicist Richard Muller now acknowledges global warming and while not exactly blaming humans, agrees that "greenhouse gases could have a disasterous impact on the world." All due to a study that was largely funded by skeptics, by the way.

We're not going to solve this debate here, nor should we even try, but in this day and age anyone who disagrees that we should be conserving ALL our resources and reducing polution needs to have their head checked.

Anyway, 4mamma isn't going to singlehandedly end the world and we can all be thankful that there's relatively little interest in these things. So let's just chill out and wish her luck. I, for one, will be interested to hear how she adjusts to the new cooking style.

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

I agree with what foodonastump's point.

I will add that I think there is "relatively little interest" in these things for the same reason that there is relatively little interest in owning and driving, say, 1938 Packards or vintage-1920 Bentleys and Rolls Royces. These things have their passionate followings, a passion that most of us do not share. Enjoyment is a large factor in the ownership of these things. Most of us have no interest in high-maintence, expensive old gas hogs. Is it so bad that a few people derive enjoyment from them and have the money for it? 4Mamma is not telling the rest of us that we should be owning an Aga-style cooker, much less giving us a "nyah-nyah-nyah aren't-you-jealous?"

But, I do kind-of quibble with the idea that the Aga represents a "new cooking style." It might be new to 4Mamma, but it actually is very old-fashioned. Not just old-fashioned like a French-top stove, although it does share similarities. I mean "old-fashioned" like coal and word-burning stoves. (Actually, weren't the original Aga Cookers designed to burn coal?) With the current Aga Cookers, we are talking about cooking the way folks did (and sometimes till do) with coal and wood burning stoves. That is truly retro cooking, not just a modern stove dressed up in retro styling of the sort one can buy from the likes Heartland and Elmira Stove Works. The current Aga Cookers make it a lot easier than with "real" coal and wood burners: you do not have to constantly stoke the fires, remove ashes two times a day, and learn to master an array of flues and dampers needed to control the fire, route the heat and sort-of regulate temperature.

Actually, if anybody wants to go even more off-the-grid retro, Heartland Appliance and others still make actual wood and coal burning stoves.

• covingtoncat
    11 years ago

Well I for one, am jealous and I wish you luck, Mama! I hope you will come back and post all kinds of pictures and tales of your adventures.

After getting over the sticker shock and special installation instructions and what-not, I had to get over my Aga fantasy. We do live in a climate similar to England and the year round heat aspect would not have been wasted here save for a few (very few) weeks out of the year.

Instead I got a vintage 50-ish O'Keefe and Merritt range (all gas), purchased from the Grandson of the original owner and am very happy with my choice. During one of our seasonal power outages, it was so very nice to be able to cook. After 24 hours with no power it is built in security.

Much luck to you.

• quiltgirl
    11 years ago

Just saw this post (several mths after the fact!) but feel I need to comment in hopes that 4momma sees it. I have a four oven Aga (in red!) and we have not noticed that much of a difference in our gas costs that we can contribute to the stove. Our installer said that it is about $1.00 per day to operate. That would be thirty dollars a mth times 12 mths to equal $360 per yr. When figuring cost against a traditional stove, include in the cost the operating expenses of your toaster, crock pot, electric frying pan and any other cooking devices you use besides any other stove. With the Aga you can throw all those appliances away! The Aga is your slow cooker, your toaster etc. You will not regret having it! I love mine and never want to go back to any other type of stove!

• 4mamma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guiltgirl.

I recently went to an auction where a Wolf convection oven and warming drawer was being sold and I thought the same thing...

• Why_not_me
    11 years ago

4mamma - there was a charming article on Remodelista today and I spotted a HUGE Molteni range, which rang a vague bell: of course, it was this discussion!

Is your Aga installed yet, and how do you like it? We don't have that sort of budget, but I assure you that, if we did, I'd be buying what you got in a heartbeat. They are the BEST for cooking on, and they're also beautiful, in a Clydesdale kind of way (we have three Clydesdale crosses, and I loved your analogy).

Anyway, love to hear how your new "marriage" is going!

(I'm guessing you're in the GTA? You're SO lucky - we're in the NCR, which is a stagnant backwater for appliances in comparison: the nearest Aga service tech is 300km away!)

Someone earlier mentioned that Aga is British, was originally made for solid fuel, etc: Agas were actually invented by a Swedish scientist to mollify his wife. Heartland (now owned by the Aga-Marvel conglomerate), used to make a wood-burning stove that for all the world IS an Aga - same cast-iron box, doors, dog-bone hob, lids, etc. It, too, is a wonderful cooker, and other than being black, looks identical to the cream Aga in the wikipedia link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Aga saga

• Llanwenlys
    10 years ago

I too spent a lot of time thinking about our new kitchen as I love to cook and so do my adult children and friends. I chose an Aga, four door, red and I am so glad I did. I took a lot of grief for this choice (looks like someone's jaguar parked in the kitchen, etc) but now everyone loves it. We do turn it off in the peak of summer and use a conventional (well, induction, cooktop) and barbecue for summer cooking. We also do not air condition the greatroom/kitchen in which it is installed. Only the bedrooms are airconditioned, at the back of the house. We debated greatly the heat source. We live in the Pacific Northwest (cold rainy climate like the UK most of the year, hot summers tho) where electricity is still relatively cheap. This far out in the country natural gas is not an option, but propane was. However, our main consideration was the fact that we would have some hope of creating our own electrical energy via wind (we put a turbine in) and (eventually) solar, but no hope whatever of producing our own propane. It is a large footprint which we try and ameliorate via the wind turbine, hanging our laundry out to dry, driving a hybrid car and staying home rather than flying all over the place (say, on vacation). It's not a perfect solution to our shared environmental problems, clearly.

BUt having installed it, what do we think?
    we use it to dry and press laundry (example table napkins can be hung until barely damp outside, then folded and placed on the Aga's warming plate to dry to a perfect ironed-look, same with sheets and pillow cases. We use it and it alone to make toast; we use it as a slow cooker (the 250 degree oven), we can on it, we cook on it, we make pizza in it; we dry mushrooms and herbs in it and on it, it gives the kitchen a gentle warmth in winter, which humans and dogs love.

I have cooked on wood fired and coal fired stoves and ovens; on gas stoves and cooktops, on induction cooktops, in steam ovens, etc. I would go with the beloved Aga everytime and so would my DH, the skeptic, everytime.

• Why_not_me
    10 years ago

@ Llanwenlys - is your hot Aga vented up a flue through the ceiling and the roof, or is it a direct vent?