Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miele Combi steam oven owners' thread

Posted by noopd (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 0:03

Hey, I just got mine installed and I'm pretty excited about it. My initial impression is great. I'm hoping to exchange some of my experience, tips and recipes here with other combi oven owners (miele or other brands). So feel free to chime in anytime.

Initial impression:
Build quality:Pretty solid. One may worry about the motorized panel but everything feels pretty solid to me.

Steam: works great. doesn't take too long for preheat (about 3 mins) to 100C.

Convection: haven't tried it too much yet but looks great and there are plenty of options. Bake, Several convection mode, and several broiler mode. There is also a special "cake" mode

Combi: setting can customized different moisture level (ie 60%) this is something gaganeau can do also. Can also program in many steps, like convection at 300F for 10mins with 60% moisture, steam for 10 mins, and broil for 10 mins.. etc.. you get the idea.

Menu setting: the menu is pretty extensive like i said, there are many different "mode" for steaming and baking.

Reheat: default reheat is set at 60% moisture with convection oven set at 265F. . pretty cool

Gourmet setting: there are several (about 5) "Gourmet" program with a recipe provided. There is Gourmet ribs, Gourmet chicken, Gourmet salmon.etc You just follow the recipe and punch the button and it does the rest. these are mainly roasting recipes with adding moisture.

Auto setting: this gets crazy cuz there are LOTS of auto setting for everything. You can scroll through a menu of vegetables, and it will list all vegetables, (asparagus, broccoli, carrots, onion.. etc), and all different kinds of meat and seafood and different kinds of fishes. it's kinda similar to the Masterchef programs in their regular oven, just a ton more choices, esp for veggies and seafood.

Cleanup: I was told by someone who had the "Steam" oven that it has a lot less water in the oven when done (after steaming). There is a drain on the bottom so most of the water will drain out. However, for some reason, the oven floor is flat right around the drain so there will still be some water there you want to wipe off. I don't know why they can't just slope the floor all the way to the drain. Each time after you use the oven, the oven run a rinse cycle (about 10 mins) to rinse the internal ducts so you don't have to worry about "flavored" juices staying in the oven.

Other functions: In the manual, it also different settings for proofing, defrosting, canning, making jam, decrystalisng honey, making yogurt, melting chocolate, even heating up a damp towel etc... i haven't tried those yet.

This post was edited by noopd on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 0:07

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miele Combi steam oven owners' thread

I am researching getting a Combi-Steam and Single Convection 30" oven combo's and like the interior size of the Wolf and the Miele Combi Steam ovens the best Did you consider the Wolf Combi Steam. Why did you go with the Miele? I think they have some operational differences, but I am not sure. and I haven't seen problems with the two combi steams, although I think they have some operational differences. Have read about porcelain chipping problems with Wolf 30" convection and temperature problems with Miele 30" convection, so I'm in a real quandary.

o

I would also be interested in the factors influencing the decision between the Wolf and the Miele. We are considering one of them right now.

o

hey rjremodel and yesdave,

it's been a week and I still like the oven a lot.. So far I haven't have any problem with it. One thing i'm experimenting with cooking now is steaming at low temp to get even more gentle cook (slow cook). This is something i haven't considered before, but having an oven allow me to do so. which gives great results.

When I remodeled my kitchen two years ago, wolf didn't even have their steam oven yet. So I was always thinking of miele. But then I learned about the Wolf one when it came out last year.

Based on what I read, the wolf combi oven has many happy owners. I have seen it in shows and i'm impressed with it. Their size is similar and I think functionally they are very similar too. One main difference i read is that wolf combi lacks a broiler. That means if you want to brown something, you have to switch oven but the miele one can do it all. For example, I did a whole chicken last week by steam only @212F for 20mins, then steam only @190F for 20mins and finish by convection broiling @425 for 8 mins to crisp up the skin.. it came out very nice.

There are two main reasons i picked the miele. One is that I'm placing it right above my oven and warming drawer and it would be nice if they match. Second is that this is Wolf's first steam oven, while I think Miele has been in the steaming oven businessfor about 10 years? (not sure exact year).

I also did considered Gaggenau too, esp because having the plumb in option is so attractive.. however, the cost is just too high for me.

This post was edited by noopd on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 13:06

o

nnopd,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the Miele oven. That is very helpful information.

o
under counter placement?

Has anyone installed a combi steam below the counter? I'm planning to get one, but don't have upper cabinets, so it would likely go beneath the counter. I'm a bit worried about steam rising into my face when I open it ...

o

I was worried about this too but Miele said no problem so I'm putting one in under counter at the end of August.

Also, I emailed with a few gardenweb folks who did a Wolf combi steam oven (similar) under counter and they said they haven't had problems. They just treat it like a little regular range oven and wait for the first wave of heat/steam to clear the open door before taking food out.

o

I was worried about this too but Miele said no problem so I'm putting one in under counter at the end of August.

Also, I emailed with a few gardenweb folks who did a Wolf combi steam oven (similar) under counter and they said they haven't had problems. They just treat it like a little regular range oven and wait for the first wave of heat/steam to clear the open door before taking food out.

o

Thanks, disco (a phrase I've said many times before in different circumstances). Let us know how it works once you have it, please.

And Noopd, any updates? You've had it a little while now. Is it annoying that the oven isn't plumbed?

o

I am not Noopd, but I have the VIking Combi Steam ( now discontinued ) It isn't plumbed, and I find it is no problem whatsoever. At most I use a sponge to empty a 1/8 to 1/4 cup of water when I use steam or reheat. If you use combi at high temps, there is no water left over. I think that the Gagg has a feature condensate, where it releases extra water to tamp down the steam when you go to open a door. Since I don't have that feature, there is often no water in the bottom of the oven, or only enough to mop up with one trip with a sponge, so a drain would be a waste to me.

o

hey guys..
just realized I haven't post on this thread for awhile. so here are a few updates. I may or may not go over some of these points already in other posts.

So, I still love my oven, a lot.. it's really what i use every single day. I was never really a traditional oven person, I have a miele master chef 30" single. and I use that for rotisserie chicken, or brasing things in a dutch oven.

On weekdays, we usually do chinese/asian type food. So we do a lot of steaming. Steaming whole chicken is excellent, and I can finish it with a bit of broiling to crisp up the skin. Doing Chinese style steam egg is great too (savory) as well as egg custard dessert. we also do steam minced meat, steam chicken pieces with mushrooms, steam spare ribs, steam whole fish... traditional chinese home cooking. I also tried steaming rice a few times are it's really convenient

Steaming eggs (like hard boil egg) is also great, you just set the time and temerature and it comes out perfect everytime. Also, it's a lot easier to peel them compare to hard boil.

I have also done seafood, like lobster tails, salmon fillets... they all came out great.

reheating leftovers are also great.

I steamed vegetables a few times, which is hit or miss.. A few times (maybe i over done them), the vegies game out yellow and too soggy. Then I adjust and try to under cook a bit and they turn out great afterwords. (i.e. blanch kale in the oven then saute on stovetop)

Another thing i like to do is the trader joes chocolate croissant. They are really good. I put them in the oven the night before (as they require 9 hrs of proof). then set the timer at the Croissant setting and have a "start time" in the morning. I wake up with fresh croissant and the kitchen smells awesome.

One thing i'm constanly learning is steaming with temp below 212, which you can't do on a stove top. So I can steam stuff at 160, 180, or 200F to get an even more gentle cook, That's a lot of fun to play around.

Overall, it's pretty indispensable to me right now. I like the combi function so i can bake stuff. It's not plumbed so it's definitely not as convenient as you like as i need to dump water and add water pretty frequently. But my oven is right next to my kitchen sink so it's not that hard. It will definitely be a minus if you sink is far away. The gagganeau is the only one with plumbed fuction but that cost more than 2X of this oven.

sorry for the rambling, I'm at work and just typing out my thoughts..

feel free to ask me specifics question if you have one.

o

Thanks for the responses! I'm planning to do lots of Chinese homestyle cooking too in ours. Have you steamed buns or dumplings? My real question is how many baozi I can fit in the oven at one time. It looks like maybe only two trays (with buns) can fit at a time, which is probably ok, but three would be better.

o

Noopd: Can you also tell me about your Miele 30" Master Chef. I'm definitely leaning toward the Miele combo-steam and my husband thinks we also need a regular size oven. If we install the combo-steam above, getting the matching oven would probably look best. But how has the Miele 30" performed and have you had any service issues? Also what kind of cooktop do you have? I'm definitely in the market for a 36" induction and have thought about Miele, Thermador, and GE.

o

Just ordered a Meile masterchef wall oven and 4084XL combi steam. It was down to a choice between the Wolf and Meile, decided to take advantage of free 10 yr.warranty on the Meile. At this point there are fewer postings on the Meile combi steam, but I'm sure they will become more frequent and I'm looking forward to hearing from folks as they gain experience. Ours won't be installed until January of '14 at the earliest, so by then there ought to be many experts on this forum.

o

can someone tell me the interior size of the Miele Combi Steam oven vs the wolf combi steam oven? I'm leaning toward the Miele but I can't seem to find the interior size and that will be a big factor for me. THanks in advance.

o

rjremodel:
I had the masterchef for about 2 years now and it's been problem free so far. I like it a lot and I got it based on recommendation on this forum. I don't usually bake (pastry) so I have no feedback for that. but I use it mainly for braising, or prime ribs, or rotisseries and it performs as expected.
for cooktop, I have a 48" capital cullinarian with grill. I love it. I think induction is a good choice too for most cooking styles, but it's not great for "wok" cooking. I was only looking at gas option when I did my remodel.

o

regarding the size of miele and wolf. I posted it before in another thread. the wolf is a little bit bigger, their dimensions are listed on the website.. when i have more time tonite i can post it again.

o

I was at a Miele dealer this week. They showed me a new steam combi where the reservoirs are at the top. The interior dimensions are significantly bigger. I didn't get the new model number.

o

Hi this is the DGC 6500XL. I have just purchased.

o

In terms of model number..

USA: DGC 4084 XL or DGC 4086 XL (difference is door handle style)

there are a lot more choices in europe to choose from
the US model is comparable to DGC 5080XL. The XL stands for extra large because they moved the water reservoir to the top of the oven instead of on the side, so the interior dimension of the oven is wider and bigger.

Europe just release the 6xxx series this year, they probably won't come to US for awhile. The 6000 series has an updated LCD control panel that's also touch screen. Basically the interface is little more "modern".

o

Yes correct I have purchased the 6000 series in oven steam combi and warming drawer, very impressed with them.

o

Does anyone know what the Miele does that the Wolf doesn't and what the Wolf does that the Miele doesn't? THis is what I need to know to decide. Thank you.

o

One factor is whether your wiring is 208V. The Miele will not run on 208V.

o

Ordered my WHITE Miele steam combi oct 31/13 and just got it! Love it! Looking frwd to sharing on this thread. My brand new oven didn't work from the first time THOUGH Miele service, Derek, was out and it's all good. fault 11 which is drain related and they determined the sensor to the boiler tripped.
Very unusual. Other than that I've done the menu (3 items ready l at once) Brussel sprouts, basamiti rice and salmon! Salmon was the most outstanding salmon! We have the panel ready warming drawer and steam combi only. We put the steam drawer at counter height as we planned to use it and not just for warming but slow cooking! With only two of us in our home we have roughed in the stove so if we feel we need the Miele stove it's ready to go. Did u know in the major Centres they have a chef program where they come to ur home?! Having the come March 15! Max 6 people. Cost is about $100 a person which is a great value. Buy all the food AND teach u how to cook right in ur own home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here