Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many cubic feet of refrigerator space?

Posted by alexaqui (My Page) on
Sat, May 18, 13 at 23:56

Curious how many cubic feet of refrigerator space most people use? I'm about to order and on the fence. Looking at just under 20 or closer to 30 cubic feet. My wife and I cook pretty much every day, store home made baby food, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables Our current 1980s style fridge is often bursting at the seams with food. When our little one grows up I see the demands increasing as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many cubic feet of refrigerator space?

If the larger fridge fits your kitchen without compromising the overall functionality of the design then I would get the larger fridge, e.g. the swing of the larger door is too big for a walkway.

A full fridge is a more efficient fridge but I have never had problems filling a fridge. I always have at least drinks that can go in the fridge.

I have a 24" all fridge Liebherr and a 24" all freezer Gaggenau. I know you are considering Gagg. I like it overall just surprised how noisy the ice maker can be when it rotates the ice to prevent clumping after defrost mode. I guess it is better than having ice clump and as quiet as other freezers that have this feature but not sure.

o

From my experience you will only need more space as you go along. I raised 4 boys and we had 2 big refrigerators in the kitchen. Also look at how things are laid out. My choice in my current frig came down to placement of icemaker, ability to put 9x13 pans, front to back and how the door was laid out. My sister raised 6 kids and never has kept that much in her frig because the store is close. I would love to shop daily but it is not in the cards at present. Neither of us like to keep that much in the freezer and at one time I considered a frig only with a freezer in a utility room but we do use ice.

o

My wife has a 48" side by side built in, which is 30.1 cubic feet and totally full. It was just her before we met, now just the two of us. For my kitchen remodel, she wanted a full depth french door, and we got a 32.5 cubic foot model. We have deep countertops on that wall, so the full depth looks like a counter depth model.

o

Thanks all. We opted for bigger, and went with the 48" side by side built in by SZ. Totally happy about the purchase. I know we will fill it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here