Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snickers1388

LG vs GE French Door Refrigerator- Comments?

snickers1388
15 years ago

We're considering purchasing a 22.2cu.ft French Door that fits our width max of 34". There is a GE and an LG French Door w/external water dispenser. Both appear to have the same features. The GE model energy rates at $62 year. While the LG rates at $45 year. I've heard that we'd want a FD model that has the flap that folds out when closing the fridge door as this is said to help prevent leeks between the door seals. The GE has the flap. It appears that the LG model doesn't. Any comments on GE vs LG brand refrigerators?

Comments (30)

• john_com
    15 years ago

We have a GE fd fridge without the "flap", just a regular rubber seal. After > 1 year the seal is failing where the two doors meet.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I've been using my LG for about 2 months. I was facing the exact same decision (CD FD choices are few & far between), and chose the LG mostly on price (about $300 less than GE), energy star rating, and because I thought the handles would match my Thermador range better. Mine does not have the water/ice dispenser. It does not have a flap between the doors but there are thick rubber gasket (?) pieces on each, and you do not feel cold air leaking out at all. You cannot close both doors at the same time.

My elec bills have dropped 20% since replacing the Reagan era POS!!!

• snickers1388
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. This is so difficult trying to find a fridge as there are so many out there.

bluekitobsessed: How are you liking the LG's features?
    John.com: Is the seal covered under warranty?

Thanks

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

So far I like the LG features. The freezer is no bigger than my prior fridge (Norge Reagan era apt sized POS). There is 1 whole-width-of-fridge drawer that can be made extra cold for storing drinks or whatever. There are 2 produce sections directly above it, and I like the fact that they have glass fronts and are at eye level...hint to eat your veggies! All the rest of the shelves can be configured to your every whim. I haven't done too much with them yet. I have not set up the icemaker yet because I'm in the middle of the remodel, but the fridge arrived early and I really hated the POS. The fridge is quiet, which is also a nice change (did I mention how I hated the POS?).

I didn't know about the customer service complaints because I didn't find this forum until after making my appliance decisions. I might have had second thoughts, or at least purchased an extended warranty.

• sparkles95130
    15 years ago

I just got a new fridge a few months ago and looked at both. A couple of other things to look at when deciding. Look at the veggie bins in the GE...a sales person pointed out the size is too short for common items like celery. Almost bought that one - glad I looked! Another item is the rollers on the shelves in the freezer compartment - or lack of them in most all the makes/models. I too was warned about the flap on the FD models and noted most all manf are closing out ones that don't have them. After looking at about everything on the maket it came down to 2 models: the Fisher Paykel and Kenmore Elite. If you have a family I'd say get the Kenmore as it's a bigger. I got the FP because it was on sale that week and mine in the house died so I couldn't wait but I'd have to say the Kenmore (yes who who have thunk!) the Kenmore was better than most by far in the design/function. It's made by Amana -- most are of the FD type...and it's much better designed than Amana, KitAid, Viking, LG, GE, etc. I love my FP but it was a hard choice between the two - and only these two had drawer rollers in the freezer to take account of the weight/ease of use when full.

Good luck!

• john_com
    15 years ago

snickers, the seal is covered under the 1 year warranty. Beyond that, I'm sure I'll be on my own.

• snickers1388
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We haven't found anything yet as there are so many options & prices out there. Our heads are swimming. If the GE that we're looking at met the Engergy Star it would be a no-brainer. The GE uses 583 kWh & the LG uses 493 kwh. Makes us concerned that the GE isn't a well insulated product or it doesn't have the most up-to-date electronics. The search continues....

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I was warned away from the LG FD fridge by both my KD and the salesman at the appliance showroom. Both reported much higher than average number of complaints from their customers.

Also, at least 2 people on this forum have had frightening experiences with their LG FD fridges catching on fire because the lights inside stayed on after the doors were closed.

• bama12
    15 years ago

Hi Snickers...I too, would love a french door, but can only use one no wider than 34"....In order to make the opening wider, I would have to cut granite, pantry wall, etc.....it would be a lot of trouble! I saw one in a Best Buy ad by LG that has the water and ice in the door, and the width would work. (Haven't seen it in person yet)
    Does the GE have ice in the door also? Would really like one with 2 doors at top, and the 2 drawers on bottom that has external ice and water. Does it exist in narrower width? I need to research more, just started looking! THANKS so much!!

• bama12
    15 years ago

Also, does anyone know which one will close the doors almost automatically with just a little push??? THANKS!!

• massive8
    15 years ago

LG is better than GE. As far as the seal goes, the flap will last longer, but a tiny bit of air will get out at the top and bottom of them. the magnetic strip seal is a better seal but after time, the magnets will start to go down, due to gravity, but if you get an extended waranty it should cover that.

• snickers1388
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I apologize for not getting back to anyone here. Our computer crashed. We're now up & running.

Well the GE PFSF2MJXWW is on order. The salesman feels it should take about 5 days to come in. The deciding factor for the GE was that the LG no longer makes the 33" wide model with only the external water dispenser. Kenmore now offers different 33" wide Trio's but they only come with both external water & ice dispenser. We only wanted external water to save room inside the frige as the ice-dispenser takes up room in the fridge. One of the problems we faced that made our search difficult was we did not want a counter-depth model and most refrigerators in the size we wanted were counter-depth.

bama12: I know there are different brands of 4-door models out there. Most offer both the ice & water on the door. Check the brand websites to see what they offer. I remember encountering a few fridges where the doors did automatically close after a slight touch, but I don't remember which ones they were. Good luck in your search.

Thank you to everyone that responded.

• daven
    15 years ago

Actually, LG makes a new model for Kenmore Elite the 795.78342 that has FD, water only in the door, an acceler-ice maker in the bottom freezer and is 33" wide . We just got one and so far it is quite nice. The odd thing is that it wasn't on the Sears web site but it is in their computer and salesman literature/photo book. We paid $1600 on sale, list is $2,000.

• snickers1388
    Original Author
    15 years ago

daven, We didn't know anything about this Kenmore. Is it counter-depth? I've seen the new Kenmores 33" on their website, but as you said they only showed the water/ice in door which we didn't want. We would have preferred the Kenmore as I think it meets the Energy Star where ours does not plus we have discounts & gift cards to Sears. Lucky for you your salesman was able to find it. At the time we were looking we checked at Sears & even called Kenmore and they didn't have any knowledge of FD 33" coming with just water on the door. Now I'll have to check it out next time I'm at Sears. Good luck with your new fridge. We are extremely happy with ours.

• daven
    15 years ago

snickers1388,
    It is not counter depth but it is energy star compliant. Energy use is $50 per year, 466 kWh. The capacity is 22.7 cubic ft. with dimensions 32 5/8 (under 33 but the photocopy spec sheet is blurry) x 67 7/8 w/ hinge x 31 3/4 depth w/o handle.

We were very lucky that she spotted this model. I'll be able to tell you in 5 years, if it still works, whether we were truly happy. My last Sears fridge died an early death but it wasn't made by LG....

• wgadget
    15 years ago

I just bought an LG french door refrigerator and LOVE IT. We were lucky enough to buy it for around $800 at our local Home Depot Clearance Outlet, and had to purchase covers for the crisper bins (Apparently, as a floor model, it was subject to "missing parts," but what do you want for the price?)

Anyway, I immediately called their customer service number and ordered the needed parts, at a whopping total cost of $21. The service was prompt, intelligent and professional. But just imagine my shock when the FedEx man walked up to my door THE VERY NEXT MORNING, less than 12 hours later, with the parts. Now my fridge is perfect. LG's customer service is AWESOME!

• nunmobile
    15 years ago

Interesting tidbit in Consumer Reports. The energy star rating for french door fridges is applied with the in-door icemaker in the off position. If the icemaker is on, energy consumption was almost double, and over double in one case. Having the icemaker in the refrigerator compartment apparently requires more energy than if it were in the freezer.

• snickers1388
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just an update. It's been 2 months & we're still happy with our fridge. We just love using it. It's just 2 of us, but when we have dinner quests, we find there is plenty of room for everything we've made & they brought. About a month ago, we took advantage of GE's rebate & installed a new GE over the range microwave. We love the microwave too. I hope I didn't just jinx myself by saying all of this positive feedback, but I just couldn't resist.

• sanbarfl_comcast_net
    15 years ago

We just bought the GE 22 FD over the LG. Having a problem with the GE, has water only in the door, and it keeps dripping water about every 3 - 4 hours. The valve was changed and it still dripped. Replaced with new unit and it also drips! They added a second check valve in the left door, but it still is dripping. Anyone have this issue with their GE Profile refrig? Very frustrating! GE just shakes their head..
    Thanks..

• improv
    15 years ago

Our family of four has been using the LG for a few months now, and we all love it. It is very quiet and functions perfectly. We had a Sub-Zero for 12 years before and feel it does as good a job at keeping foods fresh. Favorite features include the easy to open doors and the marvelous shallow in-door water dispenser. The freezer section is a bit smaller than our SZ, but we have a garage freezer for large size and quantity foods, so it doesn't present a problem.

The only feature we would change is the sliding lower drawers; you have to open both French doors to use them. Dividing the drawers in half would make it easier to access them from either side.

• bama12
    15 years ago

improv......Which LG to you have?

• rpittsburgh
    15 years ago

Just an fyi. I have an lg french door 22.6 with ice in door. Great looks but the noisiest fridge I've ever owned. Service call for this thursday. Looks like the one without the ice in door is quieter from the research I've done. There's another forum in here speaking of the noise. I'll let you know what they say.

• snickers1388
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sanbarfl: In the beginning I noticed our GE Profile FD water dispenser reservoir had water sitting in it all the time. Yet we never saw the dispenser dripping. I decided to do a test. There is only the 2 of us. DH would leave for work before me. Then I'd soak up the water in the reservoir with a paper towel before leaving for work. I come home 1st & the reservoir is bone dry. DH then comes home & all thru the night I'd soak up water from the reservoir. I thought opening & closing the door must make it drip. Then DH was away for 3 days and I used the fridge normally. I found no water in the reservoir for the 3 days that he was away. Apparently, when he fills a glass, he removes the glass too soon after releasing the dispenser handle. I always hold my glass there for 2-3 seconds after releasing the dispenser handle to make sure I catch all the water. For me the problem was DH.

I wish you luck getting this problem fixed.

• b.dazzled
    15 years ago

I just purchased the GE Profile 33" french door. I have had an Amana single door on top/freezer bottom for over 15 yrs & love it. I can walk away from my frig or freezer & both doors close automatically. Will I go through major changes having to manually close both french doors now? I was told all GE French doors are made by Samsung. It has the middle mullion for seal which is an Amana design. Anyone know about getting parts for Samsung? Almost got the Kenmore Elite 33" french door but the black was a goofy color. Didn't match the handles. Heard awful tales of the ice maker in the LG Kenmore fd. Ice maker does not stop making ice so it constantly over flow unless one turns it off. Any comments? Hope I did the right thing choosing the GE Profile over the (LG) Kenmore Elite with water on the outside. thanks

• natthita
    15 years ago

None of LG's or GE's fridges have anything special. Go buy a Samsung fridge instead. The returns rates are lower and you get high quality at a cost efficient price.

• guadalupe
    15 years ago

LG just got nailed by the department of energy for lying

• harry_wild
    15 years ago

Does Samsumg make 34-351/4" refrigerators? I been told by countless salespeople that told me that the U.S. refrigerator manufacturers some how make the new width for the new construction and overlook the replacement market completely.
    I been told that they segmented the marketplace into condo/townhomes for the 32 1/2" for the 33" opening and single family tract homes for the 35 1/2 for the 36" opening.

I have a older Frigidaire that has a width of 35 1/4". It perfect for my 1976 home. If I had to get a 35 1/2 or wider refrigerator in; I would have to cut some of the pantry and cut the countertop and cut the above side of the top cabinet.

I am hoping that Panasonic will bring their European refrigerators into the U.S. marketplace so I can get a replacement refrigerator that fits my opening.

• David Hardy
    3 years ago

ALL SAMSUNG FD FRIDGES HAVE ICE MAKER PROBLEMS AND SAMSUNG IS IN THE MIDDLE OF A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT OVER THEM! SCARY...LOOK AT ALL THE REVIEWS! 100'S OF THEM!

• HU-476425591
    2 years ago

Had 2 lg frend door, no water each lasted about 8 yrs. one repair. the GE horrid, door handles fell off. called repair man 2x second I paid for. bought new handle and veg drawer. no allen wrench. stll off. Inside freezes everything if there is food against the back everything on shelvesLee’s and drawers freeze up. Considering a new one . Tried American made. and the interior lights burned out!

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax