Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizmom

I need a shorter than normal dishwasher

mizmom
13 years ago

Does anyone know if there is a full size dishwasher that is 33" to 33 1/2" in height? I know I have seen this discussion in the past but can't seem to find it now. Because of our tile flooring installation, I have limited cabinet height but width can still be standard 24". Most specs I see are 33 15/16" or 34" height. Our old dishwasher was crammed into the shorter space after the flooring was installed but I don't really want to do that to a new dishwasher. The 10 year old Maytag we have now is in need of replacing.

Thank you to anyone with some suggestions.

Comments (15)

• hidroman
    13 years ago

Miele G 2000 series are the shortest talltubs available.
    The minimum height is 33 1/4 watch here G 2000 dimensions

Otherwise every G 1000 miele model is even shorter (non tall tub) with a 31 3/4 minimum height G 1000 non tall tub dimensions or Bosch models named as "special application" like this one that is 31 3/4 high too, as every standard dishwasher sold in Europe.

31 3/4 is the standard height in Europe for built in / undercounter appliances (washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, ranges, undercounter fridges) because 33 1/2 has been the standard height of worktops/countertops for decades. Since round 15 years kitchen countertops are higher, so talltub dishwashers would fit easily ..... but you know ... people are hard to loose their habits and make up that a higher dishwasher has more place inside, go figure the "special applications" here are tall tubs
    So manufacturers produce tall tubs mostly for the north American market, while non tall tubs rarely leave europe

• wwu123
    13 years ago

There are a few Maytags (but not most of them) that are slightly shorter down to 33 1/2. I had a similar problem a few years ago with tile flooring and tile counters added that had made the opening slightly too short for most dishwashers. (The AJ Madison website lets you filter by height to narrow down which ones.)

• aprince
    13 years ago

Asko ADA DW's are 32 1/4. Miele and Fisher Paykal drawers will also work.

• cj47
    13 years ago

Mojavean--I had a similar model a few years back, did a nice job but leaked a little....

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

• Tracy Lagona
    13 years ago

GE makes an 18" wide one that is 32 inches tall.

GE Profile 18" Built-In Dishwasher
    Model#: PDW1800NII
    32 in x 24 in x 18 in

• momfromthenorth
    13 years ago

We had the same issue several years back. We found a Kitchen Aid that was short enough. Asko was my fall back if it hadn't worked. Read the spec sheets on each model...that will tell you the exact shortest dimension possible.

When we have our new countertops installed, we are probably going to have them shimmed up 1/4" so we will be able to get the DW out with a little more ease when it ocmes time to replace it.

• hidroman
    13 years ago

Yes Mojavean,
    those models always come without Waterstop ;).... but after all, there's no Miele, no Gaggenau no Hobart : these little DWs are actually our life and our future :)

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

I had a few like that back in the 70's. Today they have their own just like I did!

they're not very tall to start out - but they grow!

• mizmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mojavean..... soooo adorable! But I have also found they are not as reliable for day to day operation and are a little rough on glassware.

Thank you to everyone for all your good suggestions!

WWU...I had not been familiar with the AJ Madison website and it looks helpful but I could not get it to filter by height....only width and depth. Am I doing something wrong?

• lpcab_comcast_net
    13 years ago

Home Depot and Sears carry a GE dishwasher that is 32 3/4" high. It's considered ADA - Americans with Disabilities Act. They are around $500-600. For some reason, even though it's height is the only difference in size, the racks seem to be not as deep as normal ones. The noise level is considered "in the middle".

• John
    5 years ago
    The previous comment nailed it. saved me lots of money and trouble.
  • sean prior
    3 years ago

Any ADA compliant dishwasher has a height between 32” and 32 1/2”.

• John
    3 years ago

Bosch. I bought one.

• wdccruise
    3 years ago

The Bosch SGE53X55UC 300 Series 24 Inch Stainless Steel Built In Dishwasher is your best choice at 32.063" high

The inexpensive Whirlpool WDF540PADM will also fit but you better be awfully sure of your dimensions because it's 33.5" high with the leveling legs removed.

The IKEA Renlig is on sale for an incredible $275. Made by Whirlpool, it has the same dimensions as above, and has a rare 5-year warranty.