Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxy7781

Dacor

Roxy7781
9 years ago

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are in the final stretch of choosing our appliances; and I am leaning towards the dacor discovery duel fuel and the dacor wall mount chimney vent hood. Has anyone used/own the vent hoods? I know there is varying opinions on duel fuel versus all gas; and would not mind hearing some thoughts on it.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• wekick
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I had the Dacor range ER36D a little after it first came out and the wall oven. I had them for about eight months and Dacor bought them back This was approximately seven years ago. They had a lot of problems, chipping blue enamel, uneven baking and they could not hold a temperature. The baking issues were blamed on programming errors but even with new boards and they never were right. At least they did buy them back.

I would hope they fixed them but with recent comments on their website in the review section I wonder. I think they just work a certain way.

One reviewer on the Dacor site, mentioned that you cannot change the temperature once set. Another mentions that the temperatures were off. The oven has the bake element under glass. After the oven preheats, the oven works by coming on and off for very short amounts of time. The idea is that it keeps the temperature very even. I believe they claimed within 2 degrees of the set temperature. If you want to raise the temperature of the oven, it does not kick on the preheat so it would take 45 minutes to go up 50 degrees. If you opened the door frequently to bake cookies or add something cold to the oven, the element could not keep up in my oven and the temperature would drift down. The manual mentions not opening the door. You had to have a difference of 150 degrees between the oven temp and set temp to trigger the preheat. From what I have read, other ovens that have this type of element under glass have a similar set up and address it in their manual. Some only require 100F difference to trigger the preheat. The reason for this is that the preheat is very intense in order to preheat quickly and can burn your food. This oven might work ok if you bake casseroles and don't open the door.
    The burners were ok. Some other small things were that one of the knobs broke. Pull one off and look at it and compare to some of the others. The lighting was also placed so that it was difficult to see what you are cooking if using mid or upper racks. Read the manual on any appliance before you buy

There are some differences between gas and electric ovens.
    Gas ovens are a little more straight forward. They are usually controlled with a simple thermostat. If they have convection, the fan is controlled by a switch, on and off. The oven itself has more ventilation so when the gas is combusted and it produces water, this quickly passes out of the oven producing dry heat. This is great for things that you want to be crispy. A gas oven adds more heat and humidity to your kitchen. A few models now have self clean.

Electric ovens are more of a closed system so holds on to the humidity from your food or any steam you might add. This can be beneficial for baking with things that have to rise as it allows it to have a little longer before it sets. It also promotes starch gelatinization.

Additionally some electric ovens can have different modes that allow you to direct heat from the top or bottom, for roasting or baking and control the fan speeds. They may have thermostats that allow a narrower control of heat. Some have third/fourth elements/fans that help in keeping the heat very even when the oven is full. These features can be great if they work. They require learning how they work and are controlled by computer boards which may be subject to damage by heat especially during self clean.

I do have electric ovens with various modes and I love using them. I have had no trouble with the computer boards. Others prefer the simplicity of a simple thermostat.

• Roxy7781
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you for your input!!!