Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill314_gw

Dishwasher on a (tight) budget

jill314
9 years ago

From hanging around these forums (mostly the kitchen forum), I'm getting the definite idea that most members here have much larger budgets than we do. :)

We are doing a full kitchen remodel and trying to save money wherever we can. Our current kitchen does not have a dishwasher, or we would probably reuse it. But that's not an option! Originally I was thinking we would get basically the least expensive dishwasher with a stainless steel tub, and spend around $500 on one.

At some point, someone suggested that we consider a paneled dishwasher, so I looked at those, and found that one of the most budget-friendly panel-ready dishwashers is a Bosch (300 series), currently $760-ish. It seems like Bosch is the name that comes up whenever dishwashers are discussed. Would a (relatively) inexpensive $760 Bosch be that much better than a $500 Whirlpool/Maytag/Frigidaire/Kenmore/GE?

Or what about the least expensive panel-ready that I've found, a Blomberg (never heard of that) DWT54100 for $600? Or the least expensive (non-panel-ready) Bosch Ascenta series at $490?

Comments (8)

• golddust
    9 years ago

We picked up a Whirlpool Gold (WDT710PAYM) dishwasher today at Lowe's for $404. It gets great reviews!

• crl_
    9 years ago

On a tight budget, I would probably choose function over form and go with the best quality dishwasher I could afford and skip the panel. I like the looks of the panel, but in my three dishwasher purchases (three different houses) I have never shelled the money out for one. All of mine have been Bosch and I have been very happy with them all. (First two were bottom of the line when bottom of the line had a fully stainless interior. Third is an 800 series because our contractor found the 800 series for the same price as the 300 series I had specified.).

I can't really comment on other brands except to say anecdotally that the three GE dishwashers I have used were total junk and I even hand washed dishes for months with one of them because it just didn't get dishes clean at all.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i have a whirlpool gold that i bought at hd 2 years ago and i despise it! it was a cr best buy and i can't figure out why! i have tried so many different dishwashing detergent and the dishwasher just doesn't clean the dishes. i have given up on silverware and just hand wash. btw maytag and whirpool are the same company now
    go for a bosch, forget the panel. the bosch 500 has that top rack silverware tray that gets rave reviews.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Maytag is the most "bang for your buck" dishwasher you can buy now. While Whirlpool has transitioned to the Global Wash System for all their other brands (less powerful motor, no grinder). Maytag still uses the Point Voyager system with the grinder and one of the most powerful motors you can find in a dishwasher now. It won't be the quietest or the most efficient, but it will have the best performance for the money.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

On one of my rentals, I went to Sears, Scratch & dent store, or whatever they calls it.

Bought an upper level KA for around $400. It had stainless interior. That was probably 5 years ago , or so and I have never had a complaint about the DW.

Gary

• Gooster
    9 years ago

If your budget allows, this is one area, IMHO, where an extra $100 to $200 spent really makes a difference in functionality, build quality and reliability. Despite my advice, my mother bought a Whirlpool instead of spending a bit more on a Bosch. The DW has been nothing but trouble, the components are cheap, and its noisy.

The advice on a floor model or Sears outlet is a great one, as well. The Bosch Ascenta series gets good reviews.

• jill314
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all the responses. :)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

We got our Bosch at Lowes for less than 500 last year. They matched a coupon Sears was offering. The model is 2nd from the bottom at lowes. Works great.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm