Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polie_gw

Miele dishwasher: comparison of models

polie
15 years ago

Hello. I'm trying to figure out which of the various models of the Miele dishwasher line carry what features. I'm having trouble sorting through the various names. I often don't need the very top of the line of a brand but usually don't buy the bottom of the line either. For example, I just got a great Miele "Callisto" vacuum cleaner. I didn't really need the extra bells and whistles on the Capricorn or Aquarius models. The dishwasher line just plain confuses me. Help appreciated! Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Comments (4)

• jerrod6
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Did you order the color booklet describing each model? If not I would order that from Miele because it lists the features of each model and highlights a new feature as you move up the model line.

Briefly:

Advanta is entry level has 6 programs and uses 5 different temperature settings. It has convection passive drying.
    It also has standard 12 place setting racks.

Inspira - is like the Advanta except it has fan assisted convection drying and uses push buttons instead of a dial like the Advanta does.

Diamante - Similar to the models above except that it has 14 place setting racks and is quieter.

Optima - is quieter than all of the previous, has height adjustable middle basket that can also be tilted, has the premium flexible racks holding 14 place setting.

Instead of having fixed water temperatures it uses a sensor to examine the soil level and adjust the hotness of the water to the soil level. It has a built in water softener that mixes soft water with regular water to adjust it to the correct hardness allowing you to use less detergent.

Has a china crystal cycle that uses low temperature and short times to wash dedicates.

You can select between detergent types(gels, tabs, powders) so that you can get the best results from each.

It is quieter than the above mentioned models and has a 24 hour delay start feature.

Excella has everything the Optima has plus touch controls that use a display screen so that you use a menu to select cycles and options. Uses the display to communicate via sentences and phrases rather than lights. Can use slightly less water than models above depending on program cycle.

Has about 19 program cycles, including special ones that are designed to wash cheese and pasta starchy items. Other programs use low temperatures and take less time and still clean well.

Allows you to add extras to programs(extra dry time, extra rinse, a "soak" which is a long heated prewash etc)

You can remove the middle rack and wash tall items only in the bottom.

Has sectioned cup racks - you can lower half or all of it.
    Has a split cutlery tray which allows you to remove a portion of it or slide portions around. Good if you have tall items in the middle rack.

In addition to the soil sensor that the Optima has it has a load size sensor that detects the size of the load you are washing and adjusts the water fill level to match the size - saving some water.

It is quieter than the above mentioned models.

LaPerla has everything that the Excella has plus;
    It uses a flat screen interface and screen - no buttons, and is rated as quieter than the above machines.

All the models can be connected to cold water and don't require an incoming water temp of 120F to work, which allows them to use lower temperatures Lower than 120F.

All of the models except the LaPerla can be purchased with hidden controls.

The Optima is in the middle of the line and a good place to start. Look at it, and work your way up or down, keeping in mind that steps up give you quieter operation, slightly faster cycles, and slightly less water usage.

Be aware that Miele is due to release their new models sometime this year so everything I just said may not apply to them.

If you don't have the printed booklet it is worth ordering and it's free.

• polie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jerrod6, wow! Thank you so much for the detailed information. This site is the best.

• mcmann
    15 years ago

jerrod6 - great info.

I just went through the same process with a simpler Miele - vacuum cleaners. Their web site wasn't clear. I finally called their 800 number and quizzed one of their reps for 15 minutes.

• wackygal
    15 years ago

hi;
    just a note, we were told that although the "Q1" level can have the hidden controls, the second level (rep called it the Q2 level) does not.... we had to go to a Q3 (Optima series) to get the Ignconito Control door....this was ok since we definitely wanted a delay-timer, and the Optima series is the first level with a delay (we were surprised on that too).

Just beware... no hidden controls on the Diamante (Q2) level!

Stefanie