Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electric Range

Posted by olivertwist (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 22:10

Please help me figure out what electric range I want.
Here's sort of what I'm looking for:

-Not looking for a big 'ole fancy expensive appliance. Prefer to spend my money on other aspects of the kitchen.
-Do I want bigger? Seems like a 36" electric range is impossible to find, and I don't know if it's worth it to buy a separate cooktop and oven. What I want is to be able to cook on 2 big skillets on the 2 front burners, and right now I can't do that at the same time. My front burners are 1 big an 1 small, and the back burners are the opposite. So I can't put 2 big skillets in the front at the same time. I don't know if the solution is a wider stove, or just rearranging the burners.
-I don't want induction, because I really like cooking on my current electric range, and don't want to learn something new. Plus I just checked all of my Wolfgang Puck cookware with a magnet, and none is magnetic.
-Don't want to switch to gas. I've had electric my whole adult life, and I'm happy with it.
-I'm tiny and don't want a wall oven, so figured a range was the way to go, rather than a separate cooktop and oven. Plus it's cheaper, right?
-If possible, I don't want the range to poke up high in the back. Right now, it extends up about 10" and has the cooking knobs on it. I like it, but it won't work with what I have in mind in the new kitchen. I love the look I saw in a magazine with a little "nook" (an inset shelf) behind the stove on the wall. This wouldn't work if the range pokes up high.
-That being said, I do have kids, and would rather not have the knobs right in the front. I guess I could live with it, though.
-Is the Powerboil a good thing to have?

Thanks. This is my first post. Just looking for some guidance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electric Range

Slide-in ranges (also drop-ins), tend to have knobs in front, and the back doesn't stick up. Freestanding ranges stick up at the back with the knobs there. So it sounds like you don't want freestanding. [Some models may have a lock to keep their front knobs from working unless you want them to; depending on your kids, this may be good or bad.] 30" is a typical size.

You can easily find a range for less than a cooktop and oven, but you could also probably find the opposite, depending on the specific models you select. Generally a range takes up less space and fits better in a small kitchen.

If you want to cook two things on two large hobs at the front, you'll need to examine the hob layout before you buy any range; this varies across models.

I don't know about "powerboil"; it sounds like its good for if you want to boil stuff fast.

o

Would a separate electric cooktop give me more options?
I looked around but can't seem to find a configuration on top that would fit multiple big pots towards the front.

o

Frigidaire which is made by electrolux offers a reasonably priced ($2400 MSRP) professional electric range which is 40 inches if you can fit that in
FPEF4085KF is the model number. I am sure you can buy it for less.

o

Thanks, but that's too wide for me.
I guess I'm looking for advice on the layout of the cooktop. I saw a pic of a 36" Wolf electric cooktop that had a nicelayout with 4 big burners and a 5th off to the right and all flat controls. Don't care whether it's Wolf or whatever, but the layout seemed practical. I've read here that for electric cooktops it's just a matter of the layout and the buttons, but is there an easier way to just find the layout I'm looking for? Google is only getting me so far... Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here