Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fixing fridge/freezer

Posted by carolssis (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 22:07

We have a GE side by side, 10 years old. Hubby investigated the reason for the freezer to freeze on bottom. Turns out it was the motherboard. He found one online, and after install, the compressor doesn't work. He re-installed the old motherboard and compressor works. Fans, lights, all other things worked with new board. I suggested we leave it plugged in longer to wait for the motherboard to "boot" and get the compressor to come on. We had it plugged in for only 10 minutes. Any ideas, suggestions will be very helpful, we can't afford another board right now, certainly not a new fridge. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fixing fridge/freezer

The control board runs the defrost cycle in addition to running the compressor. The compressor will not run if a defrost cycle is running. You need to confirm that the new board isn't trying to run a defrost routine. There is a heater/thermostat setup in the rear wall of the freezer. If the heater is heating up when you put in the new board, let the machine finish the defrost and then see if the compressor starts. If no compressor after confirming that there is no defrost going on (crank the controller down to lowest setting to force cooling on) then send the motherboard back and tell them to send you a good board.

o
RE: fixing fridge/freezer

I replaced the mobo on my Arctica SxS year or so ago. I vaguely recall that it may run a defrost cycle upon power-on after the replacement.

There was also a bit of rewiring required for the (substitute) replacement board (instructions were included).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here