Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recirculating range hood vs externally vented hood

Posted by patbagg (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 22:04

Does anyone have an opinion one or the other?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recirculating range hood vs externally vented hood

Recirculating: Only good for filling up the space it inhabits. It is there for looks only. And making noise.

o

A recirculating hood that cleaned the air of grease and odor to the level of the fresh replacement air resulting from use of an exhaust hood would be very large and likely fairly expensive to replace filters for. It would require a series of mechanical filters for different size ranges of particles, as well as charcoal filters for odor. The stack of filters would require a blower capable of the desired flow rate in the presence of a significant pressure drop. This would be noisier than a similar flow rated exhaust blower.

Such a system's size would only be justified in some context where exhausting cooking effluent was prohibited. I am unaware of any units sold for residential purposes that would meet my sniff test, but there may be some somewhere. A search on this forum might yield a link to a thread I recall where someone had found a unit that met his sniff test. There could also be commercial versions available.

On the plus side, recirculating systems would not need make-up air.

kas

o

Externally vented.

o

I am having the same issue. I currently have a recirculating one that hasn't worked since we bought the house. I plan on getting a 36" gas range (electrolux icon) and will have to go with a vented hood. My kitchen is in the front of the house, hopefully it won't be too much of an eye sore to have the exhaust vent there! But with the 36" range I don't think I have much of a choice.

o

I absolutely agree with everyone who says you should have external venting, but I have a recirculating hood now (no external venting option) and it does quite a bit more than just look good. At a minimum it does draw steam and smoke up and away from the room during cooking.

o

sjhockeyfan...which brand and model you have?

o

Zephyr Europa - model is Genova.

o

Thanks,

o

sjhockeyfan, where does your hood exhaust go?

All of the recirculating hoods I have experienced just blow the filtered air back into the kitchen.

o

It's recirculating, so I would assume it goes back into the kitchen, however, while things are cooking, I can see the steam and smoke being sucked up into the fan, I don't see it being blown back out, and the room is not filled with smoke, so I don't really know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here