Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaymo1_gw

Needing advice on all appliances

jaymo1
11 years ago

We're just getting started on our whole-house remodel. My main focus has always been the kitchen, but now that it's time to really start looking at appliances, I'm at a loss! I thought I knew what I wanted, but in doing my research, I've run into people who hate almost everything I was planning to get.

I love to cook and bake (make a lot of sauces so I need a great simmer). I also do some water canning in the late summer and fall so I need a decent, large, hot burner, too. I was thinking of getting a range and was planning to get a Wolf since I've heard good things, but a local appliance store is going out of business and all of their appliances are 25% off. They carry Fischer Paykel DCS that looks decent along with several Dakor and Thermador (I'm sorry I don't have model #s, but would love input from anyone who has recent experience - my old (6 years)oven was a Thermador and I wasn't in love with it - found that it just didn't cook evenly after about 4 years). The salesman was really pushing their GE monogram range, which I know nothing about. He also mentioned that Viking makes a nice cook top (which they don't carry), but warned me to steer clear of their ranges. I am willing to mix and match brands and, while I was planning to just go with a range, I'd consider a separate oven and cook top in order to get the ones that will work best for me.

We're also looking at the GE Monogram 36" all refrigerator and all-freezer that they have on sale there. I've read online that people are having trouble with mold in those. Again, I have no model #'s, but the salesman was saying they are superior to the Viking 30" they carry. To be honest, I didn't have a fridge in mind. I just knew I didn't want a Sub Zero. My last fridge was a Thermador as well and I liked it, but it was a side-by-side and I really would like (need) a larger freezer. They do carry the fridge/freezer column, but their largest is 30" and I wanted a 36". Really with the fridge/freezer, my main focus is on even and accurate temps (and no mold)and i'm willing to compromise on size for performance. I've read on here that people really love their Jenn-Air fridges, but it doesn't look like they make the all fridge/all freezer.

For a dishwasher, I was thinking of going with a Bosch, but my brother has one and has had a lot of trouble with theirs leaking and their floors are now warped. I read recently that Meile has nice DWs. The aforementioned appliance store carries them, but they are sold out. They do have a nice looking Thermador there, though.

We also want a refrigerator drawer, but I haven't even begun to research those - any input?

I'm sorry that I don't have model numbers. I realize you won't be able to give me any terribly accurate advice because of that. I was at the store with my 2, 4 and 7 year old on a whim after a long day. It was kind of like herding snails...who whined. I guess what I'm really looking for is general advice and to hear from anyone who has experience with any of the products I've mentioned. I'm willing to sacrifice on other things in the house in order to have appliances that will really do what I need them to do as I do spend most of my time in the kitchen.

Comments (6)