Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uma347_gw

Maytag dishwasher MDB7749AWM not working

uma347
9 years ago

Our 3 year old Maytag dishwasher's control panel is not working. We did all the diagnostic tests and it looks liek the control panel needs to be replaced. Any leads on this will be great!
Thanks

Comments (4)

• dodge59
    9 years ago

First try either unplugging it or turning off the circuit breaker for it. Leave it unplugged or circuit breaker off, for 5 minutes or so~~~~~~~this will cause the Dishwasher to reset.

I don't have a lotta "confidence" that this will fix your problem, but~~~~~always try the "simple things first"! ~~~~sometimes you get "Lucky"!

If that does not fix it, give us a shout back here, give us the model number, and try to be a little more "specific" as to "Control Panel Not working", and we can try to find a "Plan B"!

Gary

• growgrowgirl
    9 years ago

I have this exact same model (purchased Jan 2012) and the control panel failing is a well known problem, although Maytag/Whirlpool deny there is a design problem.

I just ordered my second control panel (the original failed after 16 months, the replacement part failed after 11 months). The warranty for the factory replacement part is for 90 days!

You can purchase the part online for $115 - 150. The part number is W10356494. Buy from a merchant that will warranty the part for one year (you will pay a little more).
    You will need a torx screwdriver to remove the screws from the dishwasher door to install the part.

Search for the youtube video on how to replace the control panel. I did this myself, and it wasn't difficult (took about 10 mins.).

There is a class action suit in California regarding the faulty Maytag dishwasher control panel. I'm not in CA, but I will look into joining the suit if they allow consumers from other states.

Good luck!

• mano.the.shark
    9 years ago

I have the MDB7749SAM dishwasher which the control panel quit responding four days after the warranty expired. My problem was solved after I found a short on the control ribbon going to the control panel. Here is what I did which takes a little time, but may save you from having to buy a new control panel.

Take apart the front panel (a Torx screw driver was needed for my model and used a multi-bit set). I took apart the whole panel to verify the wiring harness is not nicked where the door pivots, but this might not be necessary to access just the control panel. My model had a sleeve at the door pivot to prevent damage. After removing the control panel there was corrosion shorting several of the cables on the ribbon together where the ribbon folded 180 degrees for assembly. Using rubbing alcohol and a q-tip I lightly removed the corrosion and applied Vaseline to prevent any moisture from making contact with the control ribbon. Knowing that this works I'd likely use a light layer of silicone as a more permanent fix.

The dishwasher has been working without a problem for over a year after applying the fix. If this post is too late then at least you'll know what to do when your new control panel stopping functioning.

• Agnes Stewart
    6 years ago

Same problem and afraid to get it fixed as it 3 years no guarantee so buying a different brand as cost of repair also is very expensive. Do notlike Maytag.