Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about popup vents!

Posted by ali80ca (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 21:24

I would really appreciate some info if anyone knows the answers. We are planning on having an induction cooktop and retractable vent installed in the island. Both are kitchenaid. We are thinking of reversing the blower so that it doesnt take up so much room in the cabinet. The island will have access from the other side to service the vent if needed. I would really like drawers under my cooktop, but our KD seems to be struggling with that idea. How much room is needed for the vent with the blower reversed. Do I need to have a deeper cabinet to have usable drawers? If so is a 27'' deep cabinet with drawers designed for a 24'' cabinet allowing enough space at the back for the vent?
Thanks in advance for any responses!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about popup vents!

Download the spex for you particular model and see - don't rely on complete strangers to solve a complex issue for you that you'll have to live with for a long time.

The equation is pretty simple ( assuming the blower part even can be reversed ! ). :

Standard Cabinet is 24" deep

Downdraft unit is "x" deep and will also require clearances between unit, cooktop and cabinet.

What ever is left over will be the MAXIMUM depth you have for a drawer. Do not forget that the drawer runners usually extend past the back of the drawer box itself. SO, say you have 18" left over , you drawerbox will be even less than that.

You can go deeper but all that is going to do is push the cooktop and or vent farther away from the front edge of the countertop and that won't be very good for your back.

Some downdrafts have provisions for remotely mounted blowers - attic, basement, roof, outside wall. This would eliminate the fan box at the downdraft all together.

o

Thanks xedos. I wasn't planning on relying totally on strangers, was just hoping that someone had tackled this before. The blower can be reversed, I have looked at the installation instructions and I have contacted kitchenaid to ask them. My current cooktop has the closest burner 5 inches from the front so pushing it back a bit didn't seem like a big deal.

o

It's the back burners you need to be concerned about.

Don't lose overall perspective in your quest for a single item (deep drawer)

o

Good point...I will have to do a mock up and see how far back it actually is when I discover if it is even possible. The cooktop is set up much like what I have now, with the biggest burner being right in the middle. I have never given much thought to the fact that my cooktop is so deep right now.

Thanks for your input :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here