Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tillieny

Electrolux Icon Series

tillieny
10 years ago

I need to remodel my kitchen and we are looking at the Electrolux Icon Series, mostly because I love the look but the reviews aren't great, both for the electronics and Customer Service. It seems no matter which brand we choose, there are many many bad reviews and many people who love the same appliances more than anything.

We just lost most of our house to Hurricane Sandy and I only want to do this once, and without many headaches dealing with issues.

Please let me know your thoughts on this model?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• dodge59
    10 years ago

Really sorry to hear about your house!!!!!

Not sure where You read those reviews, certainly was not Garden Web at least as far as ovens, speed ovens and Induction ranges go.

Like many, (probably most of us here in Garden Web), I advise against buying appliances of all the same brand.

Why?

Not one appliance manufacturer excells at every kitchen appliance, even Electrolux.

Their ovens are great, (many post here to back that up), their Fridges seem to be getting better, but they had Horrific problems a few years back (so Jury still out on their Fridges).

We see almost no posts on their dishwashers, so, (at best), you would be one of our Guinea Pigs in buying one.

Having posted the above, I can say with 7 years experience now, that their ovens, speed ovens, and wine fridge have all been exceptionally reliable---No calls on any except for a lose handle on the speed oven.

I've had my Elux Icon Induction cook top for a shorter time, as it replaced one of only 2 mistakes I made in the kitchen, a Caldera smooth top non-induction cook top. The other mistake???? The Caldera pop up vent for the cook top but that was before I discovered Garden Web, and I didn't know any better! So far, in 4 years or so, the Icon Induction has been trouble free too.

Good luck with your pending decisions!

Gary

• tillieny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, dodge59! The bad reviews we read on Consumer Reports, but they were mostly with the Electrolux Customer Support (to which my husband said, if they didn't have issues, they wouldn't have to call Customer Support).

We are trying to get all matching appliances...hubs things the stainless won't match if we get different brands, plus I really like the look of the Icon, and didn't really see other brands with similar handles, except maybe the Jenn Air?

• tyguy
    10 years ago

I have had an icon fridge for 5 years now. Although I have had a lot of little problems with it, I have not had anything major as of yet, particularily the dreaded temperature issue. None of my problems I have contacted elux about so I can not verify customer service standards. I also must give some credit where due, my icon fridge as well as all of my appliances saw about 3 years of HEAVY renovation going on all around them. They must have breathed in so much dust its unbelievable and I have not had any problems related to it.

As far as matching stainless steel goes, I don't think you will see a difference between brands. I can however understand matching handles. In fact, one reason (of many) I bought the icon pro was the handle matches bluestar quite well and the bluestar range was a must.

• beansdreams
    10 years ago

We have had our E'lux FD/CD (no ice in the door) refrigerator for about six months...love it! It does not have lots of storage in the freezer...but it works for us... we do have extra freezer space in the LL if we need extra space for frozen items. The refrigerator has lots of options for storage...no lost or forgotten items. Plenty of storage on both doors. So far no issues with temps. We just placed the order for the 30" Icon all gas range. E'Lux makes the Kenmore Pro...(that looks exactly like the Icon), that gets wonderful reviews on CR. The only difference, I think, is that the Kenmore Pro is dual fuel. Good luck on your decisions!

• eurekachef
    10 years ago

It's been noted before on GW, but don't trust anything Consumer Reports says about kitchen appliances. They are not oriented towards the high end, serious cook.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Love my elux fridge. I didn't get ice through the door as we use ice for sports injuries and the storage tub was too small.
    We had a minor problem at the beginning and it did take 3 tries to fix it but trouble free since then.
    It is 3-4 years old.
    I was going to go with the elux icon ovens as I love the 3 sliding shelves but heard about porcelain problems and went with the wolf. Now, a number of GW folks are having the dreaded chipping with wolf :-(

Also, the elux rep does monitor the site if you are having problems.

• beansdreams
    10 years ago

We have had our E'lux FD/CD (no ice in the door) refrigerator for about six months...love it! It does not have lots of storage in the freezer...but it works for us... we do have extra freezer space in the LL if we need extra space for frozen items. The refrigerator has lots of options for storage...no lost or forgotten items. Plenty of storage on both doors. So far no issues with temps. We just placed the order for the 30" Icon all gas range. E'Lux makes the Kenmore Pro...(that looks exactly like the Icon), that gets wonderful reviews on CR. The only difference, I think, is that the Kenmore Pro is dual fuel. Good luck on your decisions!