Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iron disc for induction so you can use alum pots?

Posted by lithigin (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 20:45

Our new induction range is in and working (even if our brand new Samsung fridge doesn't cool. At all. But that's a different thread!) I just picked up a set of five-ply stainless pots and pans and I'm fine with getting rid of most of our non-induction-ready cookware.

BUT, what do you all do about the things you can't let go of? Specifically, my aluminum Whirly Pop popcorn popper, and my extra-deep 12 Qt stockpot that I use for huge batches of soup and in particular, for canning. I'm picturing a round flat puck of tri-ply stainless or cast iron that you would use to activate the induction so you can use a few pieces of specialty cookware. I've read threads about special wok hobs; does something like what I'm picturing exist? I don't believe that there is any other option for using my popcorn popper, and we really really miss using it!

Thanks,
Lindsay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iron disc for induction so you can use alum pots?

You might be able to get a large puck of magnetizable stainless steel and put it in the pot resting on the bottom. The induction would heat it and hence the contents of the pot so long as the pot bottom wasn't too thick. Cast iron might slowly corrode if used for this purpose.

Putting the steel on the cooktop would yield a very hot piece of metal that wouldn't conduct heat into the pot very well. And commonly the temperature that the metal would be allowed to reach before the hob shut itself off would be much lower than a coil burner.

kas

o

Found this link (see below) for an induction interface disk, at Amazon. Note the relatively poor reviews...

Here is a link that might be useful: Induction Interface Disk, at Amazon

o

lithigin: "I'm picturing a round flat puck of tri-ply stainless or cast iron that you would use to activate the induction so you can use a few pieces of specialty cookware."

There are several. The high-end is made by Demeyere; the low-end probably is Max Burton, see the link.

Be aware (I am sure that you are) that your pot on a disk on an induction burner will respond and perform like your pot on a coil resistive electric burner, not the way that your induction-capable pots work on your induction range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Max Burton disk

o

Why not get a little coil burner for your whirly-pop? Fifteen dollars at Amazon. I have one of these which I think was used by a previous generation for coffee at luncheons. They take very little space, and are useful on camping trips when you're stopped on the road (on the way to your destination), trying to get hot food into weary travelers and don't really have the time or energy to make a proper fire.

Costs a lot less than an "induction disk" and you can use it in the family room if you want. :)

o

may I suggest purchasing one of those turkey fryer burner things. Give away the pot and use the burner for canning, outside so it won't heat up the house.

o

Good point. Another reason to avoid such an inefficient disk in canning on an induction cooktop is that it will likely speed up your burner going into an over temperature shutdown. Exactly the last thing you want happening during a canning session.

o

I had considered an extra coil burner but figured I'd see what was available for an induction disk first. I kept searching for "induction hob", which returned ranges and cooktops, of course! Induction interface disk is the right phrase....the thought of overheating my new range is rather terrifying, though.

I'll have to check my Oxo teakettle to see if it's compatible, too; I didn't check that yet. Anyway, pillog, I think you might be on to the most logical choice. Then we can make our popcorn downstairs in the finished basement, which would be nice...

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

o

Mauviel disc

Here is a link that might be useful: Induction disc

o

Mauviel disc is not a great product for reasons already described above. (auto shut down, slow reaction, etc).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here