Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
library_girl

Is my 24' DW opening too large for a Bosch or Miele?

library_girl
11 years ago

Originally I was going to purchase a Bosch 800 series stainless steel dishwasher. Cabinets were planned according to those specs - the required cutout width is 24". The DW width is 23 9/16". That implies that there will be 7/16" gap to be split on each side of the dishwasher.

I found a good deal on a Miele Diamante Plus dishwasher. Its width is also 23 9/16" (same as Bosch), but it calls for required cutout width of 23 5/8" (smaller than Bosch).

Does it make sense that 2 dishwashers of the same physical width would require cutouts that differ by 3/8"?

Anyone willing to post pictures of their Bosch or Miele "gaps"

Does my worrying about 3/8" gap mean I've lost my mind?

Comments (9)

• fauguy
    11 years ago

I have that Diamante Plus installed in a 24" cutout and it looks fine with the stainless door. But if I was using a panel ready Miele and put wood cabinet on it, then the gap would be more noticeable.

• tyguy
    11 years ago

Library girl: you have NOTHING to worry about. Either the bosch or miele will look fine. A 7/16 gap divided by two is only aprox 3/16 on each side which is nothing at all to fret, in fact its quite good to have that small amount of wiggle room. The units will come with a flexible rubber seal that will completly hide the gaps.

Is it ss door or panel ready? If its a panel ready dishwasher, the panel could actually be made to to fit the opening instead of the dw door width so it would look perfect.

Don't worry, be happy! :)

• tyguy
    11 years ago

Library girl: you have NOTHING to worry about. Either the bosch or miele will look fine. A 7/16 gap divided by two is only aprox 3/16 on each side which is nothing at all to fret, in fact its quite good to have that small amount of wiggle room. The units will come with a flexible rubber seal that will completly hide the gaps.

Is it ss door or panel ready? If its a panel ready dishwasher, the panel could actually be made to to fit the opening instead of the dw door width so it would look perfect.

Don't worry, be happy! :)

• tyguy
    11 years ago

Oops...that was a smartphone dumb moment. Sorry for the double post.

• coco4444
    11 years ago

I have exactly at 24" opening... here is my Bosch (before raising it to proper height):

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

Miele cut out for a snug fit and the minimum noise is slightly under 24". Consult the spec sheet if you're going with Miele. A strip can be installed to cover.

• rob from nj
    11 years ago

23 5/8" is actually 1/16" larger than 23 9/16".

• library_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@fauguy - mine is stainless steel so hopefully will be fine - you don't have any issues with noise?
    @Tyguy - thanks for the double reassurance!! :)
    @Co-Co - thanks for the pic - If mine looks as good as yours, I'll be thrilled
    @rococogurl - too late for the spec sheet, but it's good to know about the strip if noise is an issue.
    @robj - maybe I should have been more explicit - what I was trying to express was that Miele's 23 5/8" cutout was smaller than Bosch's 24" cutout , since we were discussing cutouts... I had already said that the 2 dishwashers are the same size.
    I guess that Miele is only going to give installers 1/16" wiggle room vs. Bosch's 3/8" wiggle room.

• fauguy
    11 years ago

I have no issues with noise with the 24" opening, though some have stated over the years there is slightly less sound when using the recommended 23 5/8" opening. The difference I've noticed is that a fully loaded cycle is quieter than if there's only a few items in there. That is because with less items, you can hear more of the water-jets sound.