Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A SMALL well built microwave

Posted by nap101 (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 20:25

does this even exist?

I'm redoing my kitchen. Space is at a premium in my small kitchen. The microwave placement has become a major issue in my kitchen redesign. I don't use a microwave much, but haven't quite reached that point where I'm willing to completely eliminate it. (I would prefer never using it because I don't think it's good for anyone health wise, but like a lot of things that aren't good for me I tend to use it when I'm feeling lazy. )

So I want something as small as possible that won't malfunction on me. Only for heating up very small things. I don't care if it takes an extra minute or two to heat something up as long as it doesn't stop working after a year. And I don't need a lot of fancy functions. (don't use it for popcorn even)

My existing microwave fits that and I was surprised that in the 21 years since that model was manufactured, microwave ovens have ballooned in size. The white plastic has yellowed, and it doesn't heat food that fast, but it has never failed me.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A SMALL well built microwave

the ajmadison.com web site lets you search by size.

o

Buff the plastic with polishing compound to see if it can be restored to a whiter shade.

o

We got the GE spacemaker and so far its great. Its smallish in size, but can still fit a 9X13 sterilite container.

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/PEM31.html

Is that small enough?\

If not, go to walmart and but a $50 one. Replace it when it dies. Get a dorm style one.

o

I too got the GE Spacemaker. But I have NOT used it yet as we are still under construction. It was the only micro I could find that could be under-cabinet mounted and be virtually flush with adjacent wall cabinet bottoms. It was about as close as I could come to a built-in look without getting a huge microwave. I'm mounting it under a 24" wide wall cabinet.

o

thanks for the feedback. The GE Spacemaker will work for one of my plans, but about 2 inches too wide for the other.

o

I have a little .5 cf model that's made by sunbeam/rival. It's underpowered so things take a bit longer, but it's been going strong for three years now and I bought it because it was the smallest readily available white model that will hold a regular size dinner plate. It was under $50 and so far no discoloration.

o

Here are two possibilities, the Whirlpool Max and a Panasonic Commercial NE24f. The Max is big on small and the Panasonic is no turntable, bottom energy feed, real door, reliability.

http://www.shoppingpricecompare.com/item/119147042/Panasonic-NE-1024F-Microwave-Oven/

Here is a link that might be useful: Whirlpool Max

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here