Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmorepanic

Who else would understand? GE vs. Camp Chef.

bmorepanic
11 years ago

So, its not like I've ever been quiet about my animosity towards my p.o.c. GE Profile All Gas Convection slide-in. Hereafter it will be called simply "poc".

I was shopping to replace it a couple of years ago, had come to a decision and the kitchen died instead (long story - don't ask). That was so much money out the door that we kept all of the appliances except for replacing a dishwasher which died.

So, still can't replace poc and its still running (feel compelled to add) unfortunately. However, in my quest for outdoor cooking on the ultra cheap, I got a Camp Chef explorer stove - 2-30k btu burners and some gizmos to grill and griddle. Gotta burn off that "new" smell first, so I boil water.

Boil 2.5 pints of water -> 2 minutes from 68 degrees.

Boil 8 pints -> 10 minutes

Both are full rolling boils with the entire surface of the pan engaged, the burner was set at medium. I used two different pans just to see - the smaller quantity in an Teflon-aluminum pan and the larger is a steel 6 qt stock pot.

So (evil laughter), I decide to clock poc, same pans, same starting temp, same amount of water. 17k burner on high.

Boil 2.5 pints of water -> gave up at 12.5 minutes.

The outside edges of the pan were boiling but not about 5 inches across the center. Didn't try to do the larger pan, from past experience, it would have been a good 25-30 minutes.

I realize that an excellent cook could still produce an excellent (altho frustrating) meal on poc. Gotta say it, I wish one lived here BECAUSE A WATCHED POT NEVER BOILS on a GE Profile Powerburner.

:)

Comments (4)