Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhighlighter

less expensive 30" induction range + otr mw/vent

GreenHighlighter
9 years ago

Hi all,

We're finally finishing our basement, and we're adding a very small kitchen.

This kitchen will likely only be used:
1. by our parents when they visit (my mom is usually here at least one night/week, but she insists she's doing no cooking!).
2. And then our office will be in the basement, so we may use it when we're too lazy to walk up two flights to the main floor of our house where the kitchen is.
3. For parties when we need more oven/cooking capacity.
4. For parties when we use the basement level (has a game room and access to the backyard).

So, not a main kitchen, but not too infrequently used. But not frequently used for heavy cooking or prepping.

Our plan is to get a 30" induction range, but it's hard to find good reviews. Based on my searching on here, it's Electrolux or GE, but the reviews seem to be dated.

Can anyone point me to new reviews or are these still the two best options? We're not looking to spend a lot here, so Viking or a cooktop are out.

And we're planning to get an OTR microwave + vent (to the outside). While we'd love to do a separate vent/hood and microwave, we don't have any room for it. We have very limited counter space (and we will NEED a coffee machine and espresso machine, which will take up nearly all the counter space). And we don't have any cabinets (uppers or lowers) that are big enough to house a microwave. Nor do we have a pantry or storage or closet nearby. And we want a microwave, so OTR it is. Any recommended budget OTR microwave and vent?

Since neither of these appliances will see heavy use, we probably care most about reliability.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Comments (7)

• westsider40
    9 years ago

A very important factor in an induction is the clearance required underneath. Less is better. Old specs for GE asked for 12inches of clearance. Space is primo in your case. Most ppl are very happy with each brand. I love my Bosch 30 wide model 500. Unique here, except for very pricey brands, are shutoff timers. Set a pot of rice and water , set timer for 18 mins, walk away, done. Mumsey will love.

My Bosch Otr is trouble free. Perfect.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Electrolux and GE are both well respected manufacturers in the cooking area. In terms of induction ranges, I think GE has gotten slightly better reviews in terms of long term reliability, but there are plenty of people happy with their Electrolux. GE refreshed their Profile line not too long ago with a new look, so you may not get as many reviews if you search the new model number, but people really liked the older version. As I understand it they're mechanically identical.

I assume you're looking at free-standing ranges? If so the Whirlpool built induction range becomes an option. It's sold under the Whirlpool, Maytag, and KitchenAid brands. There's also the less expensive Frigidaire freestanding made by Electrolux.

If on the other hand you are looking at slide in ranges another option to look at that is very new (so not many reviews) is the new sharp looking Bosch Benchmark series. Besides Electrolux, GE, and Bosch the only other slide in induction to my knowledge is Kenmore, which is made by Electrolux.

OTR microwaves are pretty much all the same. The brand doesn't matter so much as whether you're venting it outside (which you are). They mostly come out of a small set of Asian factories where many different American brand names are slapped on them. Most people just buy the one that matches their range. I think Sharp is going to have to have the edge in quality in this area though, and as far as I know they're the only one making these in the US. I don't know if that's true of all models though.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I'm very happy with my free standing Frigidaire induction range. I eliminated Electrolux on price, ge on price/styling and whirlpool because their self cleaning oven technology got terrible reviews. That left me, at the time, with frigidaire and samsung in my price range. I can't honestly remember how I decided, but I really like how my frigidaire functions!

(Not a stainless steel fan so I'm not crazy about the looks--especially the dreadful black sides--but there was no way I was going up to $7k for a Viking to get a different color.)

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

Just mentioning if you don't already know, that you may not be allowed a 2nd permitted kitchen without an exception. That is important in that if a fire starts in the basement kitchenette, insurance will not cover the house damage if the work has not been permitted.
    In my county, can get exceptions for an in-law suite if you tell them your parents are coming to live with you.

For a basement, a "wet bar" is allowed. which includes in our case full sized appliances- fridge, sink, microwave,and dishwasher. We left a cabinet for a future cooktop and electrical that could be changed easily to 220v , but no cooktop or stove is currently installed or allowed in the "wet bar". The coffeemaker now sits on the counter where the future cooktop could be. We have a portable induction one burner cooktop and an electric skillet for anyone that wants to cook in the basement but that has not happened yet. If you want an OTR microwave you will may have to pass inspection without it first and put it in afterwards .

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

My sister recently installed the Whirlpool freestanding induction range with the double ovens and topped it with a matching Whirlpool micro vented to the outside -- the most basic version since they do not micro often. She has been very pleased with both.

• jebrooks
    9 years ago

I can't review it because it hasn't been delivered yet, but I just bought the GE freestanding induction range. I chose it because I wanted two same-size hobs on one side, and because the hobs are an inch bigger than the Electrolux.

The GE and Electrolux were almost even in my evaluation, and if I had not received a great price from a local appliance store I would have happily gone for the Elux. From my research they are both fine choices.

• miniscule
    9 years ago

Had my heart set on a slide-in induction range and chose the GE as it looked most likely to fit my existing cabinet and counter set-up, the tie-breaker over the Electrolux. There are a number of configuration challenges in this kitchen, including counters much higher than standard height, but I just want to get rid of the gas stove and back to induction, which we had in our previous home

Sadly though, my granite counters are not level from one side of the range area to the other and the slide-in won't sit right without significant effort.

So I will be ordering the freestanding GE induction range, and look forward to trying it out!