Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningglovequilter

Question for those of you with french door fridges

MiMi
10 years ago

I have been reading reviews on French Door refrigerators and have found a common complaint to be... that since the ice maker is in the refrigerator part, that it does not keep the ice frozen and it melts and water drips into the drawers on the door below the icemaker or else the ice melts together in a clump and has to be broken up. Has anyone here with a French door refrigerator experiences this?... Thank's in advance....

Comments (3)

• Tom2013
    10 years ago

I have a GE Adora. I bought it about 6 months ago. I don't have any problem with the ice melting under normal conditions. What happens is that sometimes on the cubed ice setting, the ice jams up against the little styrofoam door that opens to let the ice out. When that happens then the ice starts melting bacause the door is open. I have gotten used to this and I can tell by the sound if there is a problem. I also found that pulsing the ice lever prevents this. The rest of my family can't seem to figure it out so I tell them to look up to see if the door closed. On the shaved ice setting, clumping is an issue. After I get the shaved ice, I chase it with cubed ice so the chute doesn't get clogged with frozen ice chips. Obviously this is a real dissapointment and no one should have to deal with this. I tried to call GE twice but never got through to a person. The system is automated and just wants to schedule a repairman for you. Since I don't have time to wait around for a repairman I just deal with it. On the plus side, I like the fact that it has a small icemaker on the door instead of on a shelf inside the refrigerator. Since the ice bin is small and sealed, we never get stinky ice like we did in our old refrigerator from not using enough ice. So far we have never run out of ice on the door and we have a family of 4. The Adora does have a second ice maker in the freezer but so far we have only tuned it on to test it. We will probably use the freezer ice as we get more into the summer. Temperature control is fantastic. It has something called Turbo Cool. I can't figure out what that is supposed to do. My best guess is that it just turns on the compressor but why you would turn it on manually when the thermostat will turn it on is beyond me.

• fivekidsmom
    10 years ago

I have the Samsung. Bought about three years ago. No issues like that. Good luck!

• MiMi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the replies... but my husband was successful at fixing ours so doesn't look like I will be needing a new one, right now anyway.