Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prestige Vent-A-Shelf

Posted by nellym (My Page) on
Thu, May 20, 10 at 19:00

Anybody have experience with Prestige Vent-A-Shelf? Marcus S. of Bluestar appears to use one in his home kitchen. Is it effective mounted on the wall? Prestige doesn't seem to have much info on this unit.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prestige Vent-A-Shelf

I think it is an interesting concept: I am not sure how high you would mount this so the ventilation portion was most effective. I think the shelf would end up too high for a microwave and dangerously high for a Salamander. I would hate to be taking broiling hot things out of a salamander at face level.

It could be nice for someone who wanted something out of the ordinary, but the shelf may just end up being a shelf.

o

Watch the video of him searing steaks. All the smoke/steam rising up past the front of his microwave speaks for itself. I'm surprised they actually "aired" that.

o

On the videos it didn't seem like the vent-a-shelf was even working. I could not see venting either, so perhaps it is recirculating.

o

On second look you may be right. Not 100% sure but it would make sense, to keep down the noise for the video.

palimpsest - Any salamander I've ever seen was mounted under a hood.

o

You are right, it doesn't make any sense to have a cooking appliance like that Over a hood. I was stuck on the idea of something like that being 5 feet off the ground. This seems like a variation on the modern/minimal wall mounted hoods that are slanted over the cooking surface but do not have a canopy parallel to the cooking surface. So it has a shelf on it, but the utility of the shelf..(?).

o

Yeah, now you got me looking at P-A site and I see they advertise the ability to put a salamander up there.

Unfortunately the spec sheet for Bluestar's salamander states, "This unit must be installed with a hood." Though, to be fair, they don't specify that it must be installed under a hood. LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here