Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vent hood - cabinet insert vs chimney style

Posted by rebecca3142 (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 14 at 18:28

Are there any pros/cons to using a cabinet insert vs a chimney style vent hood? Other than esthetics, are there any functional or maintenance issues that makes one better than the other?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vent hood - cabinet insert vs chimney style

The cabinet hood is at least 2x as expensive because you also have to buy the cabinetry as well as the functional bits. Typical wood range hoods plus the insert are around 4-6K in a mid grade cabinet line.

o

Thanks hollysprings. I thought it would be more, but I had no idea it would be such a big difference.

o

I'll throw in a second option. We used a insert hood and they had a frame built around it and covered it with sheetrock. It was less expensive and with a little trim provides a great looking hood. I didn't want all the metal that a chimney style came with and I didn't want the price of a cabinet.

o

Sheetrock and many other materials are less expensive than SS.

o

Oh, thanks - I didn't even know about that option. I'll have to look up some pictures, but it sounds nice. Price wise, that sounds a little more comparable to a chimney style hood.

o

Stainless much easier to clean than wood or sheetrock.

o

Sahmmy, if the wood is finished with a good lacquer / varnish, it's not much harder to clean than SS. My cabinets wipe right off :)

Rebecca - the biggest benefit of using a cabinet insert is the option to have the hood become "invisible", blending in with the rest of the kitchen. This is the setup we considered, before changing the layout to an island-based setup with an island stainless steel hood (can't hide it on an island, might as well show off then).

As far as installation goes, the biggest challenge is keeping track of the dimensions, and making sure everything will physically fit. If you're not sure - call the dealer & double-check that the width, height, and depth of the hood will not interfere with the inside dimensions of the cabinet / custom hood enclosure. This almost tripped us up a couple of times, good thing we checked. Also, get the details on the mounting system - how does it actually attach?

Also, while looking for the cabinet insert hoods, I found this gallery page, which explained some things and has 30+ pictures. Might be helpful in your decision! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Range Hoods Inserts

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here