Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
circitmage

New CC Owner - what do I need to do on receipt?

circitmage
11 years ago

Hello All,

I've been reading this forum for a few months now - mostly lurking ... I've read most of the range discussions and was swayed by those advocating for open burners over closed ... As a serious home chef (intend to attend CIA when I'm fatter, richer and happier ;-), I finally pulled the trigger on a Capital Culinarian 36" 6 burner manual clean range (CGMR366) ... I'm expecting delivery in a few weeks but It won't be installed immediately as there is a total kitchen remodel going on ... I assumed the plumber sub would do this install - is this correct/advisable? ... this being my first "professional" level range, what do I need to know about having it set up? ... I'm concerned about the simmer issue I've been reading up on - how do I ensure that this isn't a problem before signing off on the install?

Comments (4)

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Get the shortest/highest btu rated gas connector that will fit from you gas supply line to your CC.

They sell pro-grade range gas connectors at Home Depot and Lowes.

The chief engineer at Capital says you should be ok with a 1/2" pipe gas line but some have chosen to replace with 1" or 1.25".

It can be expensive to change gas lines.Not so much with gas connectors.

Simmer. The burners need to be calibrated properly. It seems as much an art as a science. You won't really know until you start cooking if they have been properly calibrated. I guess you don't know what a properly calibrated simmer flame looks like on a CC until you actually see it.

• circitmage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks deeageaux ... when you say "highest rated BTU gas connector" are you talking about the yellow tubing or some sort of fitting that attaches to the gas supply line? ... I'm guessing the black pipe from the wall is roughly 1" in exterior diameter ... is it rated by interior or exterior dimension?

• TonySak
    11 years ago

Before you get it hooked up, i would complainer about the simmer.

KIDDING! I have a CC range top and love it.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

*I am not a plumber or gas expert but from what I gather....

It sounds like you have a standard gas supply line.

The fitting is 1/2".

You want a 36" gold/yellow tube with 1/2" fittings rated at 125K BTU/HR at 4 psi. The plumber/installer will recommend 48" tube to make life easier on them. Then you are left with 106K btu.If you are one of the rare people that don't have cabinets on both sides of the range you might be able to get away with 24" tube rated at 150k btu/hr. Keep in mind some of the standard range connectors are rated at 65K btu/hr or less.

Most homes are at 7 psi.

You would have ~125k BTU available in worst case scenario of the standard water heater,standard gas dryer and standard furnace at full throttle.Under normal circumstances you would have enough gas for your CC to go full throttle.If you have gas fire place(s),massive furnace, or something unusual like a gas powered refrigerator you may need to upgrade the gas line.

Remember not only the 23K btu per burner but the 30K btu oven and 18k btu infrared broiler.

The only way to know for sure is to know the pressure and flow of your supply from the gas company and sketch out the supply lines throughout your house. Get the btu/hr ratings of all your gas appliances and do the math.