Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abby66

Moving a Blue Star or like to Europe?

abby66
9 years ago

Hello
I've been reading up on stoves here for the past several weeks hoping to figure out the answer to my big question...now that I can finally buy my "dream stove" what will it be? We moved from Seattle to the Netherlands three years ago and are finally buying and remodeling a home here. I've looked at all the fancy French and Italian brands and of course they look beautiful.
However... In my past two homes I had commercial Garland ranges. The last one was over 28 years old...double ovens, 6 burners, grill and broiling oven. It was a beast and I loved it with all my heart! I'm just not sure I can ever be happy with some of these other options (although happy to hear you tell me otherwise).
So here's my question. We have yet to bring our goods over and it would be relatively easy to stick a blue star or the like in the container and bring it here. I'm sure it would be next to impossible to service but beyond that, can anyone tell me whether or not it would work? Stupid but if you go for only gas there's no electricity is there? Can anyone tell me what might work in this situation?
Alternatively, does anyone know of a professional style stove with similar simplicity, open burners, and super high BTUs on all burners available in europe?
Thanks for your responses!

Comments (10)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Gas ranges without a pilot light need an electrical hookup. Otherwise how will you power the ignitors, oven light, and convection fan? I assume like most gas ranges Bluestars plug into a standard American 120V outlet, a problem if you're trying to take it overseas.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sun, May 11, 14 at 19:25

• tinyhomebuilder
    9 years ago

As much as I love my BlueStar, If I was off to the Netherlands, I'd ask over there and buy whatever the locals recommend as a reliable high end commercial grade European stove that they actually use themselves. There are no compatibility issues when you buy from the area in which you live.

• plllog
    9 years ago

You do already have a reliable, ample, cost-accessible source of gas, yes?

You can contact Blue Star and see if they can fit out a range for you that uses the current you have there. They probably can, and might have models already. Besides the electric ignition, there's the convection fan, and other features.

If you do ship one over, however, do you know whom you can call upon to adjust or fix it? There might be an appliance guy who thinks it's cool and doesn't mind dealing with Blue Star overseas to get parts and instructions. (I brought a Gaggenau induction cooktop to the U.S., but checked with the local Gaggenau repair service first.)

Do you know what the local building or residence codes and requirements are? What about your insurance? For the induction, I just needed a letter in my file from the insurer. A gonzo gas range might be a different story.

• abby66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Indeed you all bring up great issues. My point of reference was my Garland which only had a pilot (about 12 of them). Agree that I should probably get something 'local' but the choices are rather extreme. One either buys one of the French beauties (which I'm a little scared of thinking they'll be too nuances or temperamental for my cooking style) or there are the Italian ones that don't seem too powerful or you have to buy Wolf or Viking which seem overpriced for what you get. I'm really wondering what the blue star or Capital equivalents are here? It's like looking for an American V12 stripped down muscle car in a sea hybrids. Any further suggestions for European brands I might consider?

• plllog
    9 years ago

You might look at the Lacanche threads here and see if it really is too tempermental for you. I know people who will only have La Cornue, but that might be snob value. In the same bracket is Molteni. Both of those are used in estate kitchens, and while they're pretty, and extremely expensive, they're workhorses. It sounds like you don't want a regular residential range, so that lets out the Aga (they make regular ranges besides the famous always on cooker for the blind).

But a Garland is basically a not too threatening commercial range. They must have similar in Europe. Even if you don't speak Dutch, I'm sure there must be people who speak adequate English in the appliance and kitchen stores. Smooze. Bring coffee and treats. Make friends. Chat them up and see what you can learn.

The disadvantage you have is the relative relationship of gas to electricity in Europe. There's tons of nuclear electricity, and not so many gas lines. Propane is often delivered in balloons, tanks, whatever you call them, and most people don't have room to store more than a couple, so you're paying for a lot of delivery. The culture of energy saving is also much older and stronger there than in the USA. So it's just not a place where the 25K BTU burner is really a big seller. So ask at the stores. In some countries you have to go to a kitchen design shop to learn about less standard appliances, but, in general, people like to be helpful, so just go in, be friendly, and ask questions. The very worst thing they can do to you is be rude and not answer. :)

And if you have adequate ventilation for the Blue Star, and the gas, and if there's no code where you are against it, do get in touch with them to see if they have or can make a Euro compatible stove.

• abby66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Again, So, i've found a dealer that is in the middle of The Nethelands who seems to have most high end brands. I'm going to go check him out. He's even got a bunch of used models to sell. I saw a beautiful La Cornue used that is essentially brand new. The other brands they carry are: Westahl, Lacanche, AGA, E-Caumartin, Molteni, Godin, Wolf, Falcon and Lofra. Do any of you have any insights on these brands?
    Thanks again!

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

I think it's a bad idea. Do more research and get a range you like there. The fittings will all be different since American ranges do not use metrics.

I can't see anything wrong with a Lancanche, which can be customized. If there's a budget for a Caumartin or one of the other French ranges normally used in restaurant kitchens that's another possibility or something like Officine Gullo which is Italian with plenty of power.

Alternately, there should be ranges from Italy and England available in Holland that are not sold in the US though not sure they will fall into the Garland class.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caumartin

• plllog
    9 years ago

Excellent news! The Dutch dealer is going to know a lot more about what you can get there, and what installation requirements you'll have, than any of us in North America. It sounds like he has great selection of the higher end ranges. And if he has used ones, you might actually get to see them in person. You didn't say if he has a showroom, but if he doesn't, he has to have the used ones somewhere, and you might get him to let you in the warehouse. :) And you can look up the specs online.

I do know some about many of the brands you mentioned, but from spec sheets or second hand. The ones I'm familiar with are residential models. Even Wolf, nowadays, only sells fully residential models with closed burners, et al., rather than the one foot in residential, one in commercial that they used to be known for. I don't know if any of them would let you go back to the cooking style you had with your Garland.

Have you tried induction? It's a total 180 from what you said you wanted, but a great choice where electricity is plentiful and fairly cheap. I have both induction and gas and rarely bother with the gas. The cookware matters more with induction--it not only has to be induction ready (stainless steel, steel or cast iron), but you can notice the cooking difference between pans more, since it's the pan that's doing the cooking, not the "burner" (which doesn't burn, so we call them elements, rings, or hobs).

The other day, I was searing lean burgers in a Demeyere multiply stainless pan. I didn't want scorch them, so only put it up to number 7.5 on an 1800W element. Beautiful caramelization! Lots of power to spare. Anyway, it's an alternative that many are choosing. I have a couple of gas burners I rarely use because I like the induction so well. Gaggenau oven and combi-steam. Lots of utility. And no pilot lights, though maybe Summers aren't hot where you live. :)

As to the rest, go to the manufacturer's websites for all the lines that the appliance guy carries and see if there's any thing that suits you, make lists of questions about any that do, and take them with you when you go. If nothing suits your fancy, go anyway, bring sweets, and chat up the guy for all he's worth. He might know of a range that's meant for a small cafe or something that wouldn't be a firetrap if installed in a residence.

• tinyhomebuilder
    9 years ago

abby writes:

"One either buys one of the French beauties (which I'm a little scared of thinking they'll be too nuanced or temperamental for my cooking style) or there are the Italian ones that don't seem too powerful..."

For a moment there I thought you were talking about people... ; )

• darla mueller
    2 years ago

ILVE LOFRA Smeg la cache so many that I can't get here as reasonably as there