Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quiet Wall Ovens?

Posted by trickpea0 (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 18:15

We recently replaced our 12 year old GE Profile double oven with a Kitchenaid and learned that nowdays seemingly all of this type oven have control board cooling fans. In our case it is an obnoxiously loud wind sound heard all over the first floor.

I've done quite a bit of web search for information as to what brands or models might not have this problem but haven't found conclusive results other than complaints for the same thing from Whirlpool and and Maytag owners.

Consumer reports makes no mention of this "feature" in their reviews though the two above brands came out on top of the heap.

I would sure like to know which ovens are out there that don't come with the wind noise soundtrack. Any help is
really appreciated. I'm running out of time to return this or exchange it and no stores I know of have them wired up for a test drive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quiet Wall Ovens?

Which kitchenaid wall oven do you have? I just purchased one yesterday but I'm afraid cause it had no reviews.

o

jennifer,
The model is kebs277bss.

o

Mine is KEBS209BSS I'm really rethinking it now but it seems like everyone has mixed reviews.

o

My Elux non-icon double wall oven is very quiet. The fan runs for a while after I turn it off, but I only hear it if I walk right by it. Because so many people here had been complaining about the oven fan noise, I asked DH the other day if he could hear it. He didn't even know what I was talking about. He couldn't tell the fan was on. The convection fan is audible while operating, but the regular oven is not noisy. And I'm the woman who is freaked out by the clicking on her induction cooktop, so it's not that I'm just insensitive to sound. Au contraire.

To be fair, my oven is installed in the wall to the garage. If the oven were entirely within the house,perhaps the fan would seem louder.

o

We have an older Elux Icon oven, circa 2006, and I can not hear either fan, convection or the the cooling fan, but one poster said the newer Electroluxes are a bit more loud, but still not bad.

KA ovens had a terrible problem with the ovens after self cleaning. (a couple years back). According to a couple of posts here on Garden Web, KA installed bigger noisier fans to correct the self cleaning problem and the new fans are a bit on the noisy side,

Gary

o

Our new Whirlpool was so loud we told our salesperson within 4 hours of installation that it would be going back. You're right, it's hard to find a showroom oven that is in cooking-mode. After researching here, we decided we wanted a Bosch. Guess what? Our dealer has 2 ovens in cooking mode that they use for demonstrations (like baking the free cookies on weekends!), and they are both Bosch. Hmm, must be because they're pretty quiet. We went at closing time on a Friday night, when the store is quiet, to listen to the fan. We could barely hear it. Installed it, and within 2 days we were as unaware of it as of our refrigerator.

It's been a month, now, and no thoughts of sending it back. It's the low-end, Bosch 300-series, double wall oven.

Do a search here at GW for "quiet wall ovens", you'll also find Electrolux and Gaggenau mentioned.

o

Thanks so much to all of you for helping out. Decided that with the information provided, the only safe choice was Bosch.

It's unfathomable that our KA dishwasher is so quiet ( a sales point focus ) and yet the same company will sell you such a noisy oven to go in the same room. What sort of managment is that demonstrating?

o

I wonder if you got a lemon? The fan in my Kitchenaid KEBS177 is barely audible, really! (Can't hear it unless I'm right next to it.) Now, when I use convection I can definitely hear that fan, but it's still quiet enough that it doesn't bother me in the least. (Can't hear it in the next room.)

Edit: Mine is a single wall oven; maybe that makes a difference in how loud the fan is?

This post was edited by fouramblues on Mon, May 20, 13 at 12:33

o

After raving about my Bosch, low-end as it is, I hope you are as happy with yours! Which series/model did you go with?

My mother has a KitchenAid oven, and it is not as loud as the Whirlpool, but I think my Bosch is quieter.

o

Just completing our kitchen remodel and everything went so well, but appliances have been a nightmare. I have the same Kitchenaid model as Jennifer 11203 - used it for the second time tonite and the fan is unbearably noisy plus it ran for a good 40 minutes after I shut it off. Planning to go to Sears tomorrow to see if anything can be done but I am not really interested in spending more money to remove and replace this oven, plus I am concerned if I do go that route, will another oven fit my cutout. I thought I was buying such nice appliances but at this point I am very disappointed in everything but the Sharp Microwave drawer.

o

Pardon my ignorance, but I've never had a convection oven, or an oven with a fan, for that matter. Does the fan only come on when the oven is in convection mode? Or do modern ovens use the fan all the time?

o

I'm not aware of it if the oven in my previous range, which didn't have sophisticated electronics, had a fan. My new wall oven has two fans, one which is super quiet and is always on when the oven is on, presumably to cool the electronics. The other comes on only in convection mode and is somewhat louder, but not loud. That's what convection is, moving heat around, distributing it more quickly, and this is accomplished in an oven with a fan. You might have already known this bit about convection, but I included it to be clear.

o

I am late to this conversation and I sure wish I had happened upon it sooner. We recently installed a new KA wall oven that looks fantastic…and is fantastically noisy. The oven's two fans - the convection fan and a separate fan that keeps the electronic panel cool - both operate constantly during the pre-heat, cooking and cool down cycle regardless of cooking method chosen. It would appear that KitchenAid (and apparently a few other oven manufacturers) neglected to pay attention to decibel levels when deciding on this 'new and improved constant air circulation feature. According to a repairman with considerable experience, replacing the fans on these new models does not solve the noise problem. Our only consolation - we will be relocating to a new house soon. As for our new oven? It will remain brand spanking new as it won't be seeing much action in the meantime.

o

And… somehow my KitchenAid oven is pretty much silent. I think the noise thing is more subjective than specific to oven manufacturers/models. It also probably depends on your house/kitchen. Many ovens on the market today will have some complaints about noise, yet many people will not have a problem. Most of the people complaining are probably used to older ovens or free standing ranges that did not need cooling fans.

o

My Kitchen Aid double wall ovens are noisy. The top one is convection. We had two service calls and finally my husband took it out and the back was loose making all the racket. But it is still fan noisy though much better. It would be so ice to have a silent oven.

o

I am replacing a very loud Thermador, model c302UB, which has had nothing but problems. Two neighbors have the KA kebs209bss model, 2 years for each, and it is silent. Both have used the self clean function without burning out the electronic components. Both glass panes are still clear, no filmy buildup. One neighbors' cooks unevenly, the other neighbor reports no problems with uneven cooking.

o

Wow...I don't know what to do.

We are just beginning a major reno of the kitchen. The selection of the single wall oven is becoming my greatest frustration.
We are in Ontario, Canada. Consumer Reports has the Whirlpool as #1 and KA as #3 but reviews continue to complain about noise. One poster said that KA is supplying a repair kit for the fan noise which is best installed at installation. Apparently the post for the fan needs to be lengthened.
Have any of you heard of this ?
Do you think that will solve the problem?
I considered calling KA customer service but wonder if that will be helpful or just Customer PR.
Thanks!
Pamela

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here