Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clarabelled

Stainless steel panels to fix black fridge?

clarabelled
10 years ago

Hello,
We are in the process of buying a house and don't have the budget to remodel. The kitchen is brand new and in fine shape, but not at all our style. The fridge is a black may tag, the dw black lg, and the range is a black electric. I will definitely upgrade to a gas range and will choose stainless but won't be able to replace the fridge or dw. I found a site that sells custom stainless panels and am wondering if anyone has experience with them? It seems like it could be the answer to my problems. There are also wood cabinets in a not very pretty finish that I will paint either white or cream. Thoughts on painting cabinets and any Ben Moore colors that look good?ni painted another set of cabinets white dove and they look great. The counter is brown beige and gold flecked granite. The backsplash is pourus beige square tiles which I will replace, depending on the cabinets. Sorry this turned into such a long post. I am new to this forum. Is there a place I can post a photo for advice?

Thanks so much!

Comments (6)

• tjmwine
    10 years ago

Be carefull. These panels are most likely for "panel ready" appliances, appliances that accept panels. I sell Maytag and LG and they do not accept panels, a few GE Profiles do. So I do not know how they would attach to the appliances. You may want to contacted these people, with the model #s and find out if they can do it for your appliances.

• clarabelled
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice. The panels will be adhered to the existing fridge with some sort of glue. Does this sound like a terrible idea? I just can't stand the black fridge but can't put in money for a new one. I assume maytag is a good name for fridges? I currently have a jenn air french door that has had many problems over its eight year life, but is this normal for refrigerators? I also heard somewhere that maytag makes jenn air?

Thanks again.

• tjmwine
    10 years ago

I know GE sells stainless panels for refrigerator side I'M assuming the use a glue type adhesive but that for the sides I would be concern about the fronts, despencer?? Maytag is now Whirlpool so is Jenn Air. What kind of problems?

• User
    10 years ago

Yeah, GE sells the side panels that fit certain models of their fridges. They are about $500 each. That makes it equivalent of just buying the models that are already stainless wrapped, which are usually 1K over the non stainless wrapped model.

Slow down and don't plan on too many changes to a house that you just moved into. Live with it a while before you start putting money and energy into making things different. You don't want to waste money on doing such a temporary cobbled together look. Stainless isn't the be-all end-all of the appliance world, and if you'll read the thousands of posts complaining about it, you might decide that black is OK too. It has it's problems, as do all appliance colors, so wait until you have enough experience and knowledge base of that particular house to pick your poison to remedy.

• weissman
    10 years ago

Black and stainless look very good together. Get the range you want and see how everything looks together.

• Cris76
    9 years ago

Nationwide Fridge Panels and West Coast Fridge Paneling sell built in counter depth refrigerator panels. these are for units like GE Monogram, Viking, Jade, Thermador, Kitchenaid, U-line ect... I bought a set from Nationwide and they were awesome. Only $450 total with free shipping for my subzero 650 stainless steel panels.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nationwide Fridge Panels