Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
variable setting or very low setting for hood vent fans

Posted by Caspian101 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 17:39

hello all,
I'm looking for a hood vent fan that has either a variable setting (dial type) for infinite settings between low and high or a fan with a 'very low' or 'quiet' setting.

Most of the cooking we do requires just a bit of air movement and it rarely needs a full pull of air. I have found that many of the 'better' fans are so powerful that the lowest setting is still pretty noisy. They compare poorly to the cheapy nutone fan I have over our current range - the lowest setting there is almost silent and provides just enough air movement to keep the steam and smells at bay without a hurricane noise.

My budget is about $1000 for the fan/hood/liner together so the Modern Aire type products do not qualify. Who else makes a fan with variable or 'very low' settings.
Thanks,
Caspian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: variable setting or very low setting for hood vent fans

I have a Miele hood. It is not variable, but the lowest setting is very quiet. My model cost more than your budget, but I don't know if they all do.

o

It should be no problem to find a hood with a variable speed fan control.

Having said that, you can purchase fan speed controls at most hardware or big box stores - for somewhere around $25.

o

That is a good point about the fan controls. it bothers me that a bit of sheet metal and an electric motor and squirrel fan can cost upwards of $1000 - these units are very basic - , most of the components could probably be had from RadioShack for less than $100. However, I'm DIY most of the kitchen...I really hoped the fan/vent hood would be something that could be reasonably purchased. - Kitchen renos are starting to feel like weddings - normally priced items that become associated with one or the other suddenly become very expensive! :-)
Capian

o

Check repairclinic.com out for their prices on cleaned up used parts squirrel cages and motors. Comes with a 365 day return part policy too. Quite an education. You have to have the older, reusable exterior jack of course. Food for thought: why is re-cycling limited mainly to glass, cans, paper, plastic etc?

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpful link:

o

Kobe makes hoods that have very quiet low settings. I personally would go for one of the models that have old fashioned knobs (actually their newer models) rather than touch control switches.

I ended up getting a Broan hood and a roof mounted blower for a total of about $1k. Variable speed control, but I haven't installed it yet so don't know how low it will go. I spent another $162 on an duct silencer, about $130 on other duct/damper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here