Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knightatnight

Recommendation: Side by side Counter depth SS Fridge

knightatnight
10 years ago

I can't find a well rated 36" wide side by side counter depth fridge, I almost bought the

Bosch B22CS80SNS and as far as i know that the highest end bosch and it was well rated on sears.ca but it had horrendous reviews on amazon....

Electrolux same story, horror stories. can someone recommend some fridges without breaking the bank (3k max)

Thank you

Comments (9)

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Here's a Kitchen Aid CD SxS I've been thinking about for my remodel: KitchenAid KSC23C8EYY

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/KSC23C8EYY.html

We've had a great experience with our current KA full depth SxS with in door ice/water. Just wish KA would upgrade their stainless to a brighter stainless and add more stainless past the door. At least they moved to gray now rather than black.

Below is a pertinent GW link about KA. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link:

• knot2fast
    10 years ago

We've been very happy with our GE Monogram CD SxS. It has stainless on three sides, which was important to us. The front and one side are completely exposed in our kitchen.

The interior is well laid out and easy to clean. I like the custom temperature drawer which I use to keep meats colder than the rest of the refrigerated side, but not frozen.

It's 72" tall which gives you back a little of the space you lose by being counter depth, but may not fit under the same cabinet your old refrigerator did.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Monogram Refrigerator

• elofgren
    10 years ago

We just bought a Whirlpool (they make Kitchenaid) GSC25C6EYY. We paid $1500 with a couple dents from Lowes. We've only had it a couple weeks, but we're happy with the storage and organization so far, as well as the looks. We liked that it's one of the largest counter-depth fridges you can get--maybe the largest? It's 25 cubic feet. Holds four gallons of milk in the door, frozen-pizza boxes sit flat and we moved our 2-liter soda bottles from the cupboard into the fridge. Even paying MSRP it would fit in your budget.

Obviously I can't speak to the reliability or longevity. I'd be particularly concerned about the in-door ice maker (i.e. even the ice-maker itself is in the door), but they'd been using a similar setup for years, I believe. We did buy a extended warranty on it.

• knightatnight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the replies.

The kitchenaid fridge I can't find reviews on ajmadison however the next one up from it has 2/5 stars and bad reviews.

The monogram I can't even find a price without going to a shop I do like the long thin handles though!

this is so confusing I don't want to spend crazy money and have it die on me in 2 years.

• elofgren
    10 years ago

Our whirlpool has a couple of five-star reviews at ajmadison (link), but both they and I have owned it for lest than 6 months.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

This model is felt by some to be over priced, but here are customer comments on the KA KSC23C8EYY Stainless Steel, albeit from the KA site so take them with a grain of salt as perhaps they are screened. In general, KA refrigeration has a respectful reputation-until it breaks, and of course lemons abound with any refrigerator manufacturer. Ice and water through the door seem particularly problematic. I can't comment on KA customer service.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/major-appliances-1/refrigerators-2/refrigerators-3/-%5bKSC23C8EYY%5d-402285/KSC23C8EYY/

I'm also looking at Counter Depth KA, Samsung, Electrolux Side by Side as seen in attached Link.

For Jenn Air, here is the model I am reviewing.
    http://jennair.com/appliances/details/JSC24C8EAM

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to several CD SxS refrigerators:

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

I've had a KA stainless CD side x side for two years with no problems whatsoever, including the icemaker and water in the door. It was purchased from someone off of craigslist and was three years old at the time I obtained it. It appears better built than the GE S x S I had before the KA. By the way, the GE also gave no problems.
    Good luck with your purchase. Trying to buy quality appliances these days is he**.

• lee676
    10 years ago

The Ikea Datid or Nutid S23 are worth checking out - basically the same thing as the Whirlpool WRS965CIAM with different handles and missing the beverage rack (which can be ordered from the parts department if you must have it), but with an excellent 5-year warranty, and often a lower price. Similar refrigerators are also sold under the Kenmore, KitchenAid, and Jenn-Air brands, the latter two which Whirlpool owns. There are two heights available, the taller ones are about 72"h, almost 3" higher than the shorter ones for a bit of extra space inside if you have the height available. The Ikea is short only, Jenn-Air tall only, and the Whirlpool and Kitchenaid available both ways. These are new designs, with sleek LED lighting, wide glass shelves, and icemakers that don't take up any room in the main freezer compartment. There are minor feature differences between the different brands, but they're all the same basic design, and a vast improvement over the outmoded refrigerators Whirlpool was making until last year.

The Electrolux Icon (and less-expensive Electrolux, Kenmore, and Frigidaire offshoots) are also worth a look, as are Samsung and LG.

• knightatnight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all.

I purchased a Jenn_air fridge and upgraded the handles to the pro handles. It had everything I was looking for.