Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a micro/fan combo be easily swapped out for a range hood?

Posted by Chatsworth (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 17:26

The house we're about to buy has a microwave/exhaust fan combo above the smoothtop range. Luckily the exhaust fan IS properly vented out through the roof, LOL (we've seen a few that weren't!).

We're planning on replacing the smoothtop range with an induction range, probably the GE Profile. It's a small house and so I want to be able to get rid of as much of the cooking odors etc as possible and am concerned that the micro/fan combo might not be all that effective.

Since there is ductwork already there for the combo unit, is it a relatively simple matter to swap out the combo for a good over-the-range exhaust fan? Or are the duct requirements different for a dedicated exhaust fan than for one of these combination units? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a micro/fan combo be easily swapped out for a range hood?

What is the bottom height of the cabinet above the range? What is the diameter of the ductwork? Where does it exit the house, and how far is that from the range?

Because, depending on the answers to all that, and your cooking style, the answer to your question is, "it depends". Do you enjoy high heat searing? Wokking? Pan fried treats? The less demanding your cooking style, the less capability needed by your hood.

o
RE: Can a micro/fan combo be easily swapped out for a range hood?

Unfortunately we won't be able to determine any of those measurements until after the closing and we finally have access to the house again. Another thing to add to the to-do list, LOL

As for cooking style: no searing, no wokking, no frying. We are boringly healthy, LOL, and basically the stove/range hood will need to deal with steam (from boiling pasta and steaming vegetables) and sauteeing vegetables. Oven use (since it will be a range rather than a wall oven) will be about 90% baking and 10% roasting chicken parts or vegetables.

On the other hand, I probably have the most sensitive nose in the known universe which is why we have a huge Vent-a-Hood over our current cooktop and I still complain that I can smell things all over the house afterward. :-/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here