Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a market for used high end appliances?

Posted by ashie0324 (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 17:23

Hi All,
We are currently in the midst of a major reno which includes moving a kitchen that was just done in 2005. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the appliances, countertops or cabinetry--we just can't use them in our redo. I'm wondering if anyone knows the best place to sell this stuff. I have a DCS 36" cooktop, a SubZero 42inch side by side, a kitchen aid dishwasher and a Ventahood 36" Let me know

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a market for used high end appliances?

I'd try Craigslist.

I outfitted my first kitchen reno with appliances and stone salvaged from a one yr old kitchen that the owner absolutely hated - she listed the items on Craigslist.

You will not get much for them - I think we agreed on about 50% of what she paid for them when she bought new.

Good luck,
Doc

o

To answer your question, yes there is a limited market for them, but it won't be for very much. 50% was being very generous. You're lucky to get 30%, and that's only if they are brand new with little wear. If they are a couple of years old, you'd be very lucky to get 15%.

o

People who can afford these types of luxuries aren't going to buy used!

o

Sub Zero is worth 30% of new price, at least here in LA.

I wanted a used 48" Subzero with Ice dispenser that was 3-5 years old but I couldn't find one for less than 45% of new price. Was not willing to pay that much.

Ventahood is worth maybe 15%.

Cooktop and Dishwasher are close to worthless. Again at least here in Los Angeles. May vary by regional markets.

o

Try craig's list. Don't leave a phone# ! Just a contact e-mail maybe.
You don't want dozens of calls for weeks offering 5 dollars.
Post your pic. You would be surprised how many are looking for appliances or cabinets
that are in a reno situation and have gone way over budget. Especially young couples that get in over their heads. Especially in NYC. Just list your initial costs the best you can and ask a fair low price. Or best offer.

I gave mine away for free so it was easy with a photo at the grocery store pin-up board.
The last thing i needed was a ton of phone calls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here