Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oruboris

RAL color chart: where to buy

oruboris
17 years ago

I remember someone posting here about buying a RAL color chart, and what a great help it was designing their kitchen...

I'd love to get one, just so I can see an actual sample of the colors for Bluestar, not a computer approximation of the same. Plus, it would really help when looking at tile, granite, etc.

All the RAL stuff I can find online is aimed either at programers or manufacturers.

Help?

Comments (15)

• ellene613
    17 years ago

IFS Coatings sent me an RAL color fan for free; you can reach them at 866-IFS-CTNG. IFS paint is the powder coat on Bluestar.

• Happykate
    16 years ago

ellene613, exactly how did you manage that? I called that number & they said they could only send color charts out to companies, not individuals. I'd really like one, but how to pull it off?

Thanks! Kate.

• Happykate
    16 years ago

Thanks, oruboris! I may spring for a k5 deck, but it would surely be nice to know ahead of time if the colors I'm interested in are in it! Someone suggested that an auto body shop might have one so I guess I'll start there before buying.

• teresa_b
    16 years ago

Oruboris,

Have you received your RAL color samples yet from Dorn? Have they been helpful?

Thanks in advance.

Teresa

• oruboris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I ended up buying a k5 deck from Gardco, cost about $80 IIRC.

Order process is a little complex since you have to order it, wait for the email invoice, and pay based on that-- they aren't set up to take orders in the usual way.

Heres the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: RAL color samples

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

I also got one from IFS Coatings for free. I've also referred a friend here and they got one too.

• guadalupe
    16 years ago

Just call Prizer/Blustar at 610-376-7479 and they will send you a color chart at no charge.

• teresa_b
    16 years ago

Hi Oruboris,

Thanks for replying, everyone. Was there a reason you went with Gardco instead of Dorn?

Teresa

• oruboris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Don't remember why I went through Gardco, but I'd already borrowed one of the smaller decks with 5 tiny colors per card from an appliance dealer, and found it pretty useless for comparing to granite slabs [etc], and felt the K5 was a worthwhile investment.

• teresa_b
    16 years ago

Oruboris,

My K5 is arriving today. Good idea to just purchase one's own and have decent size samples.

Teresa

• teresa_b
    16 years ago

My K5 is here, and I am leaning towards 3001 (Signal Red) or 3002 (Carmine Red). The 3003 is dark.

Oruboris, you are the color expert and have helped me before with issues so any thoughts on those as compared to 3003? I agree with you about 3004, it is quite dark.

Teresa

• oruboris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Reds are really light sensitive, and can appear quite different under florescent v. incandescent v. halogen v. natural. Important to choose one you like under all the combinations in your room.

That said, under most light [and to my eyes], 3000 [flame] and 3002 [carmine] look like scarlet-- too much orange to be true reds. But 3001 [signal] is a pretty true red, and under some light looks like a paler version of Ruby.

• teresa_b
    16 years ago

Thank you kindly, Oruboris!

Teresa

• sb_ewe_iq-group_com
    13 years ago

to buy ral colors guide