Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sail_away

Smelly Dishwashers?

sail_away
10 years ago

First, I want to say once again that you all were right! When I was looking for a DW, I expressed concerns about actually just scraping a plate and putting it in the DW. Before, I had been thoroughly rinsing everything that went into my old DW--practically prewashing. The no-rinse, just scrape routine has been working flawlessly.

My other concern was about the DW possibly smelling if the dirty dishes remained in the DW for 36-48 hours before being washed. Again, you were right---no problems.

Then I decided that, in some cases, it's easier to ''scrape'' the food scraps off the dishes by rinsing quickly under running water to get any larger pieces of food off and then placing in the DW. I now find that, every once in a while, I do notice a slight odor when I open the DW door on the next day to load dishes. I'm convinced it is because the dirty dishes are wet from the slight rinsing. The odor isn't really strong, and it does not linger on the dishes after they are washed. I have gone back to mostly just scraping dishes, but when it's clearly easier to rinse slightly, I go ahead, knowing there might be a slight odor problem.

The reason I'm mentioning this is that I know in the past there have been posts about problems with DW odors. I'm wondering if some of you who have had problems are using the rinse and hold cycle when you don't wash the dishes right away? That may be the cause of, or at least contribute to, the DW odors. Just thought I'd pass along my observations.

Comments (2)