Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chef_chris

BlueStar Range Problems

chef_chris
14 years ago

I bought a new BlueStar range. It leaked gas at installation. BlueStar sent out a repairman to fix it, and after the second attempt they gave me an extra warranty. The third attempt to fix the gas leaks did not work. The gas company checked the range out for me and found multiple leaks. (The gas smell is too much to leave the gas on to the range). The gas company checked and made sure the problem was not due to gas pressure. It is the range. Now Bluestar told me that giving me the extra warranty "was a mistake"and will not be honored. In addition they will not cover any more repairs even though it is within the first year. Mike Trapp apparently reviewed the situation and said Bluestar will not continue to help me fix their defective range. I am considering legal action, but mainly I am very unhappy and dissapointed. Never again will I buy a "cult" product from a little private company that can just say "no".

Comments (22)

• quilly
    14 years ago

Sorry

• clinresga
    14 years ago

Is Trevor Lawson out there? He has had some success getting BS problems addressed. This one seems totally egregious and calls into question other posts about great BS support.

• guadalupe
    14 years ago

There has to be more for this story, for the factory to draw a line, something is not being told

• blindstar
    14 years ago

Sorry your are having problems. Can you ask your dealer to intervene on your behalf?

• breezy_2
    14 years ago

Hello, have not been here for a while. I am sorry for your troubles but must agree with others that there must be more to this. This is completely opposite of all interactions I have ever had with Bluestar/Prizer Painter.

• ya_think
    14 years ago

BREEZY!!!! Welcome back!

My memory is failing me as it's been so long - could you give a real quick synopsis (or link to a past post) of the service issue(s) with which you had to deal directly with PP?

[Sorry for going off-topic; I'm just really interested in hearing both the good and the bad.]

• weissman
    14 years ago

so guadalupe, with your inside contacts, why don't you tell us the rest of the story from the PP side.

• amcook
    14 years ago

I had the complete opposite experience with very similar circumstances. The first unit they installed had a gas leak. They were going to leave it but I asked them to take it out and bring a new one. The dealer immediately agreed without me having to even insist. Then second unit was installed and "tested" but the installer didn't connect the gas line correctly. Called the dealer and they got a Bluestar tech to come out the same day. He was extremely competent and even demonstrated how he tested for leaks at every joint inside and out of the cooktop.

Fearing my dealer would drop the ball after taking the first one back, I called my local distributor and Bluestar and spoke directly with them. Bluestar service manager called me back within 30min of me leaving him a message. Plus after speaking with all of them it was clear they were all aware of my specific install and were all working on getting me a replacement unit.

It sucked getting a bad unit to start with but I have no complaints about how it was handled. Aside from the dealer's installer screwing up the second install, everyone was very professional and seemed on top of the problems. I would definitely buy another Bluestar if I ever moved. When I asked how much an extra grate would cost, they said they'd just send me one without charge. Some might think that was the least they could do but in my experience, most would not.

• ya_think
    14 years ago

alexr - my question was posed to breezy, who did not just sign up.

• ellene613
    14 years ago

I also had a gas leak problem with one of my Bluestar ranges (2 in kosher kitchen). It took about 4 visits to fix completely, including replacing the manifold and the regulator, but the range is a pleasure to cook on now. We were not charged for any repairs and our warranty was extended. Mike Trapp was helpful and professional. We are very happy with both the product and Prizer's customer service, and we would buy a Bluestar again.

• breezy_2
    14 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome back ya_think.

Mine were not all service related. First was working with them to find out configurations and the like. Both BS and trevor were very helpful. I did have a service issue with one small leak and an ignitor module failure at initial installation. Both were fixed easily and promptly and the unit has been a pure joy to use since.

• tube
    14 years ago

No service issues yet but I did talk to the factory last we some questions and they were very helpful. I often think I'd be better off not reading these forum since anyone can post anything weather it be real or not. If I have problems I'll deal with my dealer. There is a reason I bough from someone local and got a service contract from them.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    14 years ago

I have looked into this because it all sounded a little funny.

In the interest of full disclosure Chef Chris missed a few details.... probably unknowingly.

Bluestar sold the range to Oakton distributors who went bankrupt in 07 (it is possible Bluestar never got paid for the range), the range was purchased by a company called Grants in a Liquidation sale, Grants sold this range to Chef Chris in 08. Grants is NOT an Authorized Bluestar Retailer.

All ranges purchased via a bankrupt salesÂÂ.. DO NOT carry any manufactures warranty..................I think the term is SOLD AS SEEN

Bluestar did try to fix the problems as stated, clearly on a range with no warrantyÂ. they shouldnÂt have gone out at all but they did, maybe rather than being an unresponsive manufacturer they actually tried to helpÂÂÂÂÂÂ. Bluestar has now supplied Chef Chris with all service contractors in the area so he can make contact to fix the problems.

NO doubt this range was sold cheap and sold as seen by Grants.

Chris..... it seems on the face of it you took a risk by purchasing a range that was from a liquidation stock sale and from a non authorized dealer that has no warranty........ if you were not aware that it was from bad stock or the retailer was not authorized then you were mislead by the retailer, i don't think Bluestar are at fault here

• dcunited_2009
    14 years ago

Trevor....

I am so glad you pointed this out: "you took a risk by purchasing a range that was from a liquidation stock sale and from a non authorized dealer".

All consumers should be VERY careful when purchasing products from unauthorized retailer or retailers (online or not) who are 3,000 miles away. The chances of damage or leaks due to a very long travel are extremely high.

I suggest supporting the local retailer who buy the product from their local distributor whereby damage or the like are non-existant.

As I say many times....."Buyer beware"!!!!

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    14 years ago

Dennis

Why do you sometimes post as Gloden West (Bluestar Distributor) and other times as dcunited famous soccer star????.

• ya_think
    14 years ago

"The chances of damage or leaks due to a very long travel are extremely high."

Are you suggesting Bluestar is a poor choice for west coast customers? Regardless of who's selling them, they all start in Reading, right?

• guadalupe
    14 years ago

Travel has no influence on leaks, poor production does. Travel can and does cause damage to cosmetic parts. Dropping will cause leaks and damage.

• divadeva
    14 years ago

Oh Man,
    "guadalupe", I've seen you on every BlueStar post. Everyone else interested in purchasing a BlueStar has also. You have no credibility, and your presence gives BlueStar a black eye. They're so desperate they need you to spin their public image? Give it up, your efforts are counterproductive.

Diva

• shannonplus2
    14 years ago

Wow, Divadeva. You've resurrected a thread that is 3 weeks old for the sole purpose of lashing out at Guadalupe. S/he is a longstanding contributor to this forum, frequently providing insider information and insight. Tell me, Divadeva, have you helped anyone on this forum, either by providing advice, answering questions, or sharing your knowledge? Though, I HAVE seen posts from you ASKING for advice and help from others, which they freely and generously give. Perhaps when you have achieved some standing on this forum through your contributions, wise advise and help to others, then perhaps you have some basis to flame someone, that is, if they've done something to deserve it, which I don't see that Guadalupe has. This forum is full of nice people and yes, sometimes threads get heated, and full of spirited debate. But you haven't engaged in debate with your comments. If you want help here, try to control your lashing-out-with-no-provocation impulse.

• ya_think
    14 years ago

You go, s+2!

Diva, what was so offensive about guadalupe's post? That she contradicted someone who in one thread will say beware of long distance shipping (despite the fact that all west coast units are shipped long distance) and in another thread will recommend a west coast dealer as one who will ship anywhere in the country?

I also don't see how saying something like "Travel has no influence on leaks, poor production does" can possibly be interpreted as spinning in BS's favor. Quite the opposite.

• emknc
    14 years ago

Another bluestar-themed pissing match! Awesome!
    How a simple appliance can inspire such passion and vitriol is beyond me.