Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sninny

Sharp Microwave Draw

sninny
15 years ago

Does anyone have any expereance with this type of microwave?

Comments (20)

• fahrenheit_451
    15 years ago

We looked at it, and liked it, but my friend who is in the business tells us it is a poor seller. It is interesting in its placement, but it does look to be harder to keep clean as you would be stooping down a bit to clean the top.

Sharp Microwave Drawer

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

So far so good with ours. Its convenient, out of the way and sight mainly and works well.

• paso
    15 years ago

We are planning on ordering one...I hear it is great and is a best seller. Maybe it is a matter of where one lives as to how popular they are. But, for us, we couldn't fit a microwave easily since we have dbl ovens. I am very excited about the drawer. We are getting the model which you can pull in and out manually.

• canuck99
    15 years ago

I almost got one untill I found out the height was only 5 inch high in the cooking area.

• mary_in_nc
    15 years ago

I have one and love it! Didn't want another OTR MW. Didn't want to clutter the counter with one. I use a splatter guard. Clean up is a non-issue. Internally it measures 6in high. (Just checked.)

• canuck99
    15 years ago

Oh no.... 6 in might have worked?

Still placing under the counter with the new Panasonic with the dial to set time so no need to punch buttons to get the time.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I have one and have only found one coffee mug that I don't use very often to be an issue. Everything else I have wanted to put inthere has been okay and it works well. I got it because it fit my space and solved a problem for me, but it has some nice features and I've enjoyed using it. There have been a number of threads on them -- positive reviews, and I hear they are selling well. In pure numbers, I doubt they will overtake all countertop and other conventional models any time soon. They have to replace a warming drawer, an undercounter micro, be able to be adapted into another undercounter space with power or go into a remodel.

• sayde
    15 years ago

Am bumping this because would like to see more reviews of the Sharp MW Drawer if anyone has anything to add.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

There have been a number of threads about these and I would think that at least some of them would come up i a search. What I have read from those that have them has all been good. Those who don't list price, height and cleaning. Cleaning is not an issue for me, and we are a tall family. I've had mine nearly 2 years, and no problems keeping it clean. Height -- I can't use my tallest latte mug in it, but I don't like micro coffee any way. My 4 cup pyrex measuring cup fits with room to spare.

Price -- that is an issue as far as micros go. I couldn't see it at first, but with all we went through to find the right micro in the right place, we had to look at it as part of making the puzzle all fit and not just buying a micro. The "just a micro" part of me would much rather have a $50 countertop model. The "it fits and makes the kitchen layout work" part of me is happy with the way it works and features, like keep warm, that I wasn't looking at when we ordered it.

• sayde
    15 years ago

Thanks lascatx. I know exactly what you mean as I sit here trying to stuff everthing in to my little kitchen and there is just so much wall space and no more. This drawer will tuck in to an island. I'm glad to hear that you've had no problems after two years. I think I'm almost ready to cave . . . .

• josie724
    15 years ago

I love mine, the kids really like it too. No problems to report. I've been using it for about a month now.

• paxispl
    15 years ago

It's been great! It's in our island. I, like you, was concerned about the relative cost, but it was my one "toy" for the kitchen. My DH, his kitchen "toy" was the wine cooler. Here are some pics of our Sharp Microwave Drawer:

• brendamc
    15 years ago

Thanks, paxispl for the photos - just added one to our OA to save space & I'm excited after seeing your pics! 5600 sq. ft house & I couldn't believe our micro was going to take so much out of the kitchen, so this is a great invention. What stain are you going to finish your cabs? Your kitchen is a similar style to what I'm thinking of...

• paddy_99
    15 years ago

Have had one about two months now and although I was hesitant to buy in the first place I am now glad we did. It will hold a mug/glass that is 5 1/2" tall. I especially enjoy the sensor features. I occasionally use it for popcorn and it measures the amount of moisture coming from the bag and will turn off automatically when it is popped.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

We have one as well and have been using it for a few months now (it was the first thing ready to use in our kitchen....weeks before the countertop went in!)

Everything I've put in it has fit, sensor cook works very well (much better than my "old" Amana), the soft-open/close keep things from sloshing, and no leaning/bending down to reach inside a regular MW. We did have a couple of splatter incidents (my DS forgets to cover is tomato-based dishes!)...but I just reached inside and wiped around it the ceiling a few times, checked it (yes you do have to bend over or sit on the floor to check the ceiling of the MW) and it was done. [Note if you do get something stuck or dried on in a MW, boil a couple of cups of water in it for a couple of minutes...it softens stuck on food.]

As to the cost...it cost the same as the Dacor MW + trim kit that I was going to put in my oven stack originally.

I also use the Keep Warm feature when there's only one thing to keep warm (otherwise I use my WD).

(Picture b/f we took off the plastic covering over the control panel...we didn't take it off until all contractor work was done in the kitchen. We figured it offered a bit of protection.)

• infohound2006
    15 years ago

I love the idea of the microwave drawer (our 9yo DS uses our counter-top microwave, and I don't want to replace it by a high one, and yet would like it off the counter.

However, in addition to the price, my DH and I have three remaining hesitations about the Sharp drawer:

1. the automatic drawer open/close mechanism . Our appliance store showed us a broken display model, and said that if you pull or push on the handle, that will destroy the automatic open/close mechanism, at a repair cost of >$300. I may be able to train my family to just use the button, but since there IS a handle, someone's going to use it sometime. Is that still an issue with the newer models like KB-6021MS that say "opens with a gentle push or pull of the handle".

2. No turntable Does it heat food evenly? Some people on Amazon swear by it, but a few complain that you have to keep opening and stirring.

3. Capacity. 1.0 cu ft is a lot smaller than the 2.0 Panasonic beast we have now, ... even though the Sharp's even wider. If I want to reheat a few peoples' worth of pasta, sauce, meatballs, will it fit as easily as I can now reheat 3 covered bowls on a turntable? (It may be that most of our current capacity is the unused height and corners.... but I'm just not sure).

Since this is both expensive and "built-in", we really want to know it'll be useful. (I'm so glad to read that any dried-on spatter can be steamed soft. So I can stop worrying about that.)

Thanks! It sure is nice to be able to ask real folks, not just a salesperson or a brochure :-).

• paxispl
    15 years ago

1. I believe that the -earlier- models had the problem with the automatic drawer mechanism. With them, one needed to push a button to have the drawer open and people forgot or didn't know, so it wrecked the mechanism. On ours, if you pull the drawer handle, it opens and just a gentle push and it closes.

2. We don't miss the turntable. Food seems to cook the same as it did in our other microwaves. I, too, had the concern originally about not having a turntable.

3. Capacity - seems to be able to handle all that our family of 5 can give it.

My favorite part is just having the MW off the counter and/or not having to reach for stuff.

• infohound2006
    15 years ago

Paxispl and all,

Thank you! This has sealed the decision for me. I'm so glad the older easy-to-wreck opening mechanism is gone. The new mechanism sounds just right -- automatic to keep it from sloshing, yet can use the handle folks are used to.

Now I can't wait! I'm really excited about the 1. extra counter space, 2. no turntable's wasted corners, 3. it being low enough to be safe for my DS,

1. loading from the top rather than peering from the side.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

As an added bonus, the MW drawers that are manual open (with soft open/close) now have "Melt" & "Soften" buttons/functions the older models didn't have.

You definitely do not need to keep opening & stirring...it cooks just fine w/o the turntable. I suspect the people "opening & stirring" are used to the older MWs and just assumed they had to do it since there is no turntable...

• lascatx
    15 years ago

There is a sensor heat or sensor warm setting -- whatever it is called. I have used that to heat a frozen entree or leftover for my lunch without stopping to stir. I love that! I do still stop and stir some things, but it is habit.

We asked about the lack of a turntable when we first saw them. We were told that the cooking mechanism has been re-engineered to create a cooking pattern that eliminated the need to turn the food. In other words, the cooking pattern moves around so the food doesn't need to. I think this new technology has as much or more to do with the higher price as the new drawer design and limited market share. Drawer glides aren't that expensive!