Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yolande_1951

Miele Induction

yolande_1951
15 years ago

Are you happy with your Miele Induction?

Thanks,

Judy

Comments (20)

• lovemcm
    15 years ago

I will be seeing a demo tomorrow nite at the Massachusetts Miele showroom. Will let you know what we learn.

• yolande_1951
    Original Author
    15 years ago

petlady

I'd be interested to get your reaction. The Miele has been out in Canada for a while. I have seen it work in Montreal and it seemed great. But because of its cost in Canada - $4000.!! I discounted it and didn't pay much attention. They also had a working Fagor which to work well and was less expensive, but service where I live (London Ontario)is not readily available, so I am concerned about that. We would be able to get service easily on all the usual tops - KA, GE, Bosch, Miele, etc. I know that there are some Gardenweb members -beatrix for one - who have them and I wanted to know if they were still pleased.

If you see this before you go, would you be able to ask when you see the demo, how long Miele has been making induction in Europe, who makes their induction elements and what the warrantee is. How much is it in Mass. and can you give me the name of a dealer who might ship to Canada?

Thanks,
    Judy

• bjeanne
    15 years ago

I have had mine in use for about 2 weeks now and I love it. I had a 17 year old Jennair before with the solid element which I hated, replaced with a ceran module a few years ago. The Miele induction is instanteous in its response to temperature changes. I haven't tried all the bells and whistles as we have just moved in and I have been relying a little to much on take out as we unpack etc.It cleans up beautifully with a damp cloth (I wasn't prepared for how fast it is and the potato pot boiled over). I also love having 5 burners as the other thing I hated and found useless/messy with the Jennair was the grill. It was easier to go outside, even at freezing temperatures and use the BBQ and I refused to pay the price for another burner module for a stove I hated so much. Now I have the Miele induction cooktop, 30" wall oven, speed oven and warming drawer and am in heaven.

• yolande_1951
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bjeanne: do you have all miele appliances?
    Thanks,
    Judy

• lovemcm
    15 years ago

Went to the demo today. Very impressive appliances. I am convinced that Miele is the best induction for the money. It is about $2800 suggested retail here in the states. They will be shipping them to retailers/consumers "any day now." My retailer here in RI quoted me $2700 and change. Like the Navitronic oven, which is sitting in my garage until I have a kitchen to put it in, there is a lot of potential, lots of features, and this makes it a little less intuitive than a cooktop that has on, temp control, and off.

Since it was rather like a lecture and there were a lot of attendees, I didn't get a chance to ask too many specific questions, and they were demo'ing ALL their appliances, so time spent on induction was limited.

I do know Miele has been making induction units for a long time. As for warranty, even if I had been able to determine the warranty period in the US, I can't guarantee that it would be the same in Canada, even if you bought from a US dealer, since, according to the User's Manual (back cover), the technical service providers are different. I also wonder how the Canadian service providers would handle an import.

If you wish, I can give you the name of my dealer and their phone no. here in RI (the showroom where I attended the demo does not sell directly). Perhaps they can answer your questions and would sell you one, when they get them.

• yolande_1951
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks or the info, Petlady1. I would love the name of the dealer and their phone number. I notice that you have a 30 inch miele oven. How do you like it? you can email me at dbach@uwo.ca.
    Thanks again,

Judy

• bjeanne
    15 years ago

Hi Judy,

I got the Miele 30" oven, speed oven, warming drawer, the induction cooktop, the Excella dishwasher and the 4840 washer and the 9800 dryer.It has only been 3 weeks so perhaps I am judging too soon, but if I had it to do over I would install the warming drawer in a another spot and have a double oven instead of the single and a speed and go with a separate microwave. This has nothing to do with the function of the oven but because I am somewhat height challenged (5'1") I find the speed oven a little high in the configuration with the 3 in a tower. I feel I will have to use a stool to take things out of the speed oven when I use the oven features or I will burn myself. For my other applicances I got a Samsung FD fridge and the GE Monogram wine and beverage centres. I got them all at Goeman's in St. Catharines (I am in Stoney Creek). There is Miele service here. I had Goeman's do the install for everything and was very pleased with the service. I had a minor problem with the warming drawer and had Miele come out and had to put up with significant attitude on the part of the technician because I didn't use Miele to install. The thing is that my installer used to be the Miele installer here before Miele had their own service people in this area.

I went to the demo for the ovens at the Miele office in Vaughan before I bought, and spent some time with them re the other appliances as there were concerns posted in the laundry forum about the washer....so far I am pleased with it and have had no issues with vibration (I had our builder reinforce the floor under the 2nd floor laundry room)
    By the way they completely ignored my questions about why Miele is so much more expensive here than in the States vis a vis the strength of the dollar. I can only hope that the appliances live up to the reputation as I dropped a chunk of change for that supposed quality and longevity.

Barb

• amirm
    15 years ago

Good feedback Barb. My wife is shorter than me and everytime we go over the kitchen design, she complains when one of the appliances is too high. I used to tease her about that, but given your comments, I won't anymore. Maybe :).

As to higher cost in CA, here is a little story. I used to work for Sony and we had a company store in US and of course, in Tokyo. Strange thing was that 90% of the time, the equipment was far cheaper in the company store in US than in Japan! Explanation is simple: the US market is highly competitive with products from many countries. So companies price their products appropriately and might (and many times do) lose money on them. Then the attempt to make up for it in other countries...

• yolande_1951
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Barb,

Thanks for the info - great post. I decided today to get the Miele double ovens, the induction cooktop and a Jenn-aire FD CD panel ready fridge. What did you get for a hood and are you pleased. Are you happy with the induction cooktop?

I too am vertically challenged (also about 5'1 1/2")and think that I will put the ovens 13" from the floor, maybe 14". Have you baked a cake in the oven yet? Did it come out level? Someone in London is willing to match aprice that I got from TA Appliances in Kitchener. Did you check their prices?

Thanks,
    Judy

• yolande_1951
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry Barb,
    Just reread the thread and saw that you love your induction.
    Please disregard that part of the post.

Judy

• canuck99
    15 years ago

Miele has min pricing that the dealers can offer. Usally about 10% less than MSRP is the min at best. ( In Canada at least.

When we were at the showroom in Toronto they suggest that the door opening on the top oven should be equal to the middle of your hip. My DW is 34 inch to the middle hip so when door opens the door hits the 34 inch mark. My Dw is 5'1 1/2 in.
    The normal 2x oven is where the bottom of the door is 36. inch which equals counter height. The bottom oven ends up about 10-11 inch but the primary oven is the top.

• yolande_1951
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Canuck99. Did you ever investigate getting it in the US? I am not sure what you mean for the second oven: for the top oven, the bottom opening should be at 34 inch to the middle hip;
    thanks,
    Judy

• canuck99
    15 years ago

The top oven opening should be a the hip.

Yes I did investigate the US for other Miele appliances before the induction was released. Check with the service group in Toronto. Just send an e-mail. Canadian warranty is 2 years vs 1 year in the US.

• bjeanne
    15 years ago

I just moved to Stoney Creek from Toronto, so had only checked out Tasco for prices. I got a good deal from Goeman's for the bulk purchase. As cannuck99 indicated they were only able to discount the Miele so much so he gave me better deals on all the other stuff (I also got my central vac and BBQ through them) I went with the Goeman's store in St. Catharine's as opposed to Stoney Creek as our design centre for cabinetry etc was there as well and I really liked the salesperson at that store, well informed and not pushy (Steve).I think that Goeman's has opened a store in Kitchener so you might want to check them out. I don't really know any dealers down this way as we have only been here 3 weeks. I used Goeman's based on recommendations from folks who live here.

I got the Kobe under cabinet hood and it seems fine (but again it has only been used minimally).

I have not done any baking yet, just roasting and a casserole. (I am still unpacking, amazing how much you accumulate over the years).

I will say that the Canadian deal for the induction with the free Henkel pots is a good deal. It is 5 pots/pan with 4 lids and a 3 piece set of Henkel knives. I did check it out retail and it is not the lower grade pots and the cost they claim is what I saw retail ($1000.00). I also got the pedestals for the washer and dryer free as well. I think the deal for the pots is still on. I had to take delivery of my top by Dec. 31 to qualify and then they went and extended the deal.

Cheers
    Barb

• canuck99
    15 years ago

The deal on the Pots/knives is still good till June 30 with some extension cause. Yes they can go lower if you purchase other items along with the Miele items. They can discount the other items to the min so the net price is better.

• flseadog
    15 years ago

Do you know if a single wall oven can be installed under the Miele induction cooktop? I read the installation manual on the website and they said a oven with a cooling fan could be installed underneath. I'll probably be getting the GE Monogram ZET 1 SMSS. Do you know if these two units will be compatible? Originally I had planned on getting the GE 36" induction cooktop but I like that the Miele has a timer to shut off the burners. Also, does the stainless steel frame collect gunk and make it harder to clean? Thanks

• yolande_1951
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just played around with the Miele 36 inch induction this afternoon. I am in Canada: on the bottom left is a 9 inch hob, topped with a smaller one (forgot to measure - probably 5 or 6; the middle is 11 inches, the right side 2, 8 inch hobs. The sales person said that you can put a single oven underneath and need 1 inch clearance.

You have to turn the Miele on and then press the + or - to increase/decrease heat. I don't think that you can jump to medium or high - increases in single digit units, but easily. As far as I can tell by just boiling 2 inches of water,it seemed to function as I would expect. Each hob has a booster function and each can accommodate different pan sizes.

The stainless rim is very narrow and seems to be raised, so I don't expect that it will cause problems. Apparently there are many things that it can do that take learning: timer, pause, etc

For what it is worth, the sales person said that she wants it for her house. BTW, she said that the steam oven is unbelievable.

Judy

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I'm still learning how to use my Miele induction plaque ; the speed is amazing, I was using a wolf gas cooktop for 7 years so I was a bit leery of the claims that induction is rapid to reaction.

I don't like the fact that the timer button is right above the button to turn the cooktop on, I often hit that by mistake so I have to cancel the timer. I also find that you have to press hard on the digital pads, although if it were a lighter touch, more mistakes would be made.

None of my old frying pans work, but a lot of my pots do so I'm going to use those for a while before I buy new ones; I have a hodgepodge assortment of mismatched mid quality pots, some lids missing so it's my aim to get good quality pots eventually, I'm researching those right now. I like glass lids so this narrows my choices.

I totally understand why induction is gaining in popularity; my wolf gas cooktop was a bore to clean up, the slick cooktop is a breeze. Although I find myself babying the glass surface to avoid scratches; I just don't know how much sliding of the pans you can do without scratching, lol........

• yolande_1951
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I too started using the Miele induction yesterday. Boils fast and simmers great. So far, lots of fun. I sauted garlic and onions yesterday and got grease all over the cook top, so I bought Weimam cream for glass tops. It did the trick, but I also used parchment paper under the pan today and beside it , to avoid the grease issue and it worked.
    My cast iron pan worked very well as did my 2 Le creuset pots - just bought a new one at Winners (Canada) today.
    Judy

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Looks like every one is happy with their Miele Induction , I'm thinking of having our Jenn air cook top replaced, I have just one problem, it has to be the same size, it's sitting on granite, so we'll see what happens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Induction cooktop