Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cntipper

Kitchen appliance advice for new build

cntipper
10 years ago

My husband and I are building a new home (our first!!).We have lived in apartments for the past few years, and are ready to have a proper kitchen. We are trying to pick out our appliances and are so overwhelmed by all the choices!!
I would love thoughts on ranges (we are thinking 36 inch, bluestar range or cooktop). The difference between open and closed burners, heating, durability, maintenance...everything!

I just read about the Gaggenau ovens, and I am in love, but I think they are out of budget! I bake quite a bit, and my husband being an Englishman requires a Sunday roast! I am open to suggesetions!!

I would love the same direction for dishwashers and refrigerators (not built in!)

Also, I am in the Houston area and would love some advice on who to buy from, warehouses that sell floor models etc!

Finally, if you have any cool ideas or things that you did special in your kitchen that you can't live without now, please pass them on!

Much appreciated!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments (11)

• jsfox
    10 years ago

A few thoughts (perhaps worth what you're paying for them). I have a strong preference for gas cooktops and gas ovens and think good ones are worth the price. For a good roast I'd think a really good and large gas oven would be a requirement. When we re-did our kitchen we went with a 48" wolf range (4 burners + griddle), mainly to get the larger oven. The large oven is great for meats. My only regret is that I'd occasionally like a higher powered burner for some saute's, but not a huge issue.

The griddle has turned out to be fun for pancakes, mass quantities of grilled cheese, and egg & salmon.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I got a 24" Gaggenau oven in sandblasted aluminum finish off E'bay for $1200.

What is your budget? It sounds like you have an upper mid level budget so maybe you can fit in a lot of your wants with a little bargain hunting.

• noopd
    10 years ago

On the appliance front, there are already plenty of recommendations here. Just read through them and you'll have some idea of which brand is good and which is not so good. I got Miele a 30" masterchef oven, and Miele dimension plus dishwashers and I think they are awesome.

What I wanna says is that I never knew open shelves next to the range is so cool until i have them. And now I love them. I have two stainless steel floating shelves between the counter and top cabinets on both sides of the range. I put pots and pans on one side, and plates and "bowls" on the other side and I just love how easily accessible they are when starting to cook, to after i'm done for plating.

Having a pot filler is pretty cool too.

Just an idea.

This post was edited by noopd on Thu, May 2, 13 at 4:08

• wekick
    10 years ago

I would consider getting a cooktop/rangetop and separate ovens. You can pick exactly the components that fit your needs.
    If one thing goes out, you don't have to replace it all.

If you like to bake I would consider an electric oven. There is a lot written on the difference between the two. I think having convection makes the biggest difference. Some ovens have modes to be very specific in how heat is directed. They are wonderful if they are proven and work. They are additional electronics that in the worst case can be subject to damage from self cleaning or just not work, causing hot spots.
    A current issue with some ovens is the enamel of blue ovens. I have a Wolf and Electrolux both bake great but I just discovered that both floors of the oven are pitting over the elements. Sheesh! I had problems with the Elux initially and they replaced the oven because the enamel was chipping. It is out of warranty but I do have an extended warranty. The Wolf is parts only so will have to see what they will do. Neither has been exposed to very high heat. I had a Dacor range and oven 5 years ago with blue enamel and it came off too. There have been some things written about blue enamel.

Have you considered induction for a cooktop?

Agree with above there is so much written.
    At the bottom of the appliance forum home page, there is a search box.
    Some things to search
    ovens
    gas vs electric ovens
    steam ovens
    speed ovens
    range
    rangetop vs cooktop
    sealed open burners
    (brand name) service

The more you read, you can get even more specific in searches.
    Think about how you cook! There are many features and benefits on appliances but not all will be relevant to you.

This is a recent thread on "must haves"

What are your favorite kitchen must haves?

• cntipper
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your responses!

I have been searching through the other forums, and have probably spent far too many hours reading about ovens, ranges, etc., but I think I almost feel more confused.

The more bells and whistles I learn about the more I want!

I love the idea of a steam/convection oven for baking. My hubby and I are gluten free, which is tricky enough when it comes to baking so I love the idea of the added help.Does anyone know if that style of cooking is helpful for gluten free baking? Does anyone know how to find a local gag rep?

@jsfox...I like the idea of the griddle...that sounds awesome! What do you think of doing a 48inch range top with 30inch double ovens? Any suggestions on double ovens that do a great rotisserie? Thanks!

@noopd thank you so much for the lovely photos! I think that is a fantastic idea!

@wekick...I know literally nothing about induction cook tops! I grew up with an old 1920's restored chamber's range that I adored, so I am partial to gas ranges...but I am definitely open to ideas/suggestions.

Also, I need advice on farm sinks..do we love them do we hate them? Do the GW readers think that putting a sink in an island is functional and or aesthetically pleasing? we have one wall to work with and one island. I hesitate to put the cooktop in the island for ventilation reasons (we do a lot of searing, cooking with woks, stir frying that I think needs proper ventilation). Any and all thoughts are welcome and appreciated!

One more thing! Marble! I love the look but worried about staining, cleaning, etc. Is it as awful as people say?

Thank you thank you!

• wekick
    10 years ago

Consider ergonomics when looking at sinks. If a sink is too deep (and deep sinks are popular) it can hurt your back. Many farmhouse sinks allow you to get closer to the sink. Personally I love the look of them but everybody has their own preferences. My grandmother had a big one maybe only 5 or 6 inches deep with a driainboard and porcelain up the back and side. I would love something like that. I have a sink in my island and another against a wall.
    The kitchen forum has a lot of discussions about some of these things.
    I love marble but you have to be able to live with the patina of life. I used marble tiles for the backsplash over soapstone counter tops. My island is Silestone because it takes a lot of wear.

• macmomma_gw
    10 years ago

Depending on the size of your kitchen, here's what we did: We put in two slide-in ranges rather than double wall ovens and a cooktop. That way, we have two work triangles in the kitchen and 9 burners rather than the usual 5-6 in a cooktop. also, it was cheaper this way. My main range is a (new) Samsung induction range with convection oven, and I LOVE IT! (I would have had gas, but don't have it here where I live) I got it on sale at Lowe's for $1000. I can't talk about the durability, but so far, so good. My second range is just a smooth top electric whirlpool--nothing fancy, but when we have large gatherings (often), we have two places people can cook and other people aren't messing with my "good" stove.

• bpath
    10 years ago

We replaced our 1981 double oven with a Bosch 300 series a few weeks ago. We went with the Bosch after reading reviews here (and a brief installation of another, noisy, brand).

It has a separate ROAST setting that uses both the top and bottom elements, with the top element hotter for "more browning of the exterior while the inside remains especially moist", according to the manual. I'll do a roast this week to try that out. My husband bakes a lot and is really appreciating the even heating and optional convection. The cooling fan is pretty quiet.

We chose the Bosch over the Gaggennau, and the 300 over the 500, for price reasons. (Since we had to retrofit into an existing cabinet, I wasn't comfortable with buying off eBay and Craigslist; good move in the end.) But we are very happy with our Bosch.

• Peke
    10 years ago

Noopd where did you get your SS shelves?

• noopd
    10 years ago

HI Peke,

sorry, didn't see your question. I don't "follow" threads that I responds to usually.

My shelf are custom, there is a stainless steel fabricator that we use, who did my backsplash and the shelfs. They are just a high grade SS lay on top/wrapped around wood board.

Ktipper:
    I have a Miele Combi steam for 2 months now and it's so awesome.. I literally use it every single day. super versatile.

• beachpath1
    10 years ago

We are remodeling a 30 year old house. We are having difficulty
    deciding on a refrigerator. Does anyone have experience with the Dacor
    refrigerator?We need a 48 inch built in with an ice and water dispenser.
    We love the price,(with rebates), but not sure it is reliable.