Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eggs on fridge door

Posted by olivertwist (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 16:16

How come hardly any fridges (top freezer specifically) have a place on the door to store a carton of eggs??? So frustrating!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eggs on fridge door

Not cold enough.

o

Yep - not cold enuf. We get fresh eggs weekly from a local farm and they have a little blurb on the carton to not store on the door. I am kinda odd tho, I love opening the door and seeing a bowl of blue, green and other tinted eggs. So cheerful!

o

Not cold enuf for eggs but ok for milk? That makes no sense. I keep eggs on the door now and they last over a month. Do u really think that's the reason?

o

Well..I never leave my milk on the door either but we do drink soy milk not dairy milk. IDK.

o

A quick scan of the web's information on egg storage suggests that egg quality lasts longer if they are kept colder. Below 40F is suggested on some sites, and below 50F on others. I think fresh eggs to be eaten within a week could stand door storage, particularly if the door storage has a lid to delay warming when the door is open. Eggs purchased in sufficient quantities to last longer should be kept as cold the refrigerator interior.

One might say quality is a matter of degree.

kas

o

Eggs will age faster at the warmer temp in the frig door. Because eggs will keep for several weeks, if you're going to use them in a short period of time the door storage is fine.

Guess that still doesn't solve your dilemma about no storage room in the door. Not sure what you mean though: are you concerned that there is no holder shaped specifically for the eggs (out of the carton) in the door? Or that you can't fit a carton in the door? We have a top-freezer frig and there is room for a carton in the door (old frig, though). Best to store eggs in their original carton for freshness, anyway.

o

I did mean a place for the carton itself on the door. I don't want to take up room in the interior. I have stored them on the door my whole life. I know that if they are inside somewhere they will get shoved around or something heavy put on them or something. I like the idea of keeping them safe and out of the way on the door.

o

It's common in Europe for eggs to be stored at room temp (in the pantry for example). So the slight variation in temp at the door should make little difference, it's still a lot colder than room temp.

o

In the US, commercial eggs are washed and bleached. This removes the eggs natural anti-bacterial coating(bloom). I would imagine door storage is cool enough if you are eating your eggs in a reasonable amount of time. If you are buying fresh local eggs, ask the farmer. Most likely the farmer dry brushes to leave the bloom intact.

o

I'm sorry if I sound ungrateful, but I was just hoping someone could tell me which models still have an egg shelf on the door, not whether it was a good idea. :)

o

> I'm sorry if I sound ungrateful, but I was just hoping
> someone could tell me which models still have an egg shelf
> on the door, not whether it was a good idea. :)

My wife has one at her ski condo, but that refrigerator is probably 30 years old.

You might have better success in finding plastic egg trays that you can just put in the door racks.

o

I know you said top freezer but fwiw I just viewed the video for the new GE Profile french door fridge and it showed the owners putting a carton of eggs on the door.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video on bottom right

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here