Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivertwistkitchen

Eggs on fridge door

olivertwistkitchen
11 years ago

How come hardly any fridges (top freezer specifically) have a place on the door to store a carton of eggs??? So frustrating!

Comments (12)

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Not cold enough.

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

Yep - not cold enuf. We get fresh eggs weekly from a local farm and they have a little blurb on the carton to not store on the door. I am kinda odd tho, I love opening the door and seeing a bowl of blue, green and other tinted eggs. So cheerful!

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not cold enuf for eggs but ok for milk? That makes no sense. I keep eggs on the door now and they last over a month. Do u really think that's the reason?

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

Well..I never leave my milk on the door either but we do drink soy milk not dairy milk. IDK.

• kaseki
    11 years ago

A quick scan of the web's information on egg storage suggests that egg quality lasts longer if they are kept colder. Below 40F is suggested on some sites, and below 50F on others. I think fresh eggs to be eaten within a week could stand door storage, particularly if the door storage has a lid to delay warming when the door is open. Eggs purchased in sufficient quantities to last longer should be kept as cold the refrigerator interior.

One might say quality is a matter of degree.

kas

• repac
    11 years ago

Eggs will age faster at the warmer temp in the frig door. Because eggs will keep for several weeks, if you're going to use them in a short period of time the door storage is fine.

Guess that still doesn't solve your dilemma about no storage room in the door. Not sure what you mean though: are you concerned that there is no holder shaped specifically for the eggs (out of the carton) in the door? Or that you can't fit a carton in the door? We have a top-freezer frig and there is room for a carton in the door (old frig, though). Best to store eggs in their original carton for freshness, anyway.

• stuvwxyz99
    11 years ago

It's common in Europe for eggs to be stored at room temp (in the pantry for example). So the slight variation in temp at the door should make little difference, it's still a lot colder than room temp.

• localeater
    11 years ago

In the US, commercial eggs are washed and bleached. This removes the eggs natural anti-bacterial coating(bloom). I would imagine door storage is cool enough if you are eating your eggs in a reasonable amount of time. If you are buying fresh local eggs, ask the farmer. Most likely the farmer dry brushes to leave the bloom intact.

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm sorry if I sound ungrateful, but I was just hoping someone could tell me which models still have an egg shelf on the door, not whether it was a good idea. :)

• attofarad
    11 years ago

> I'm sorry if I sound ungrateful, but I was just hoping
    > someone could tell me which models still have an egg shelf
    > on the door, not whether it was a good idea. :)

My wife has one at her ski condo, but that refrigerator is probably 30 years old.

You might have better success in finding plastic egg trays that you can just put in the door racks.

• theultimatebikerchic
    11 years ago

I know you said top freezer but fwiw I just viewed the video for the new GE Profile french door fridge and it showed the owners putting a carton of eggs on the door.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video on bottom right