Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulineinmn

Bertazzoni vs. GE Cafe Range - Rococogrl are you still here?

paulineinmn
13 years ago

I'd love to hear from anyone who considered both the Bertazzoni 30" gas range and the GE Cafe gas range.

Rococogrl, I haven't seen you post here for a while about your Bertazzoni Range - but I saw a post of yours a while back that said you had considered the GE Cafe and Bert, and the Bert won out.

I bought a GE Cafe, had it installed a few weeks ago, and it was defective (all five burners were leaking gas). The repairman who checked it mentioned that the knobs are a problem on the Cafe stoves (they have very long shafts made of plastic, and apparently they crack easily).

So now that I'm returning the Cafe, I'm considering whether to get another one or get another range entirely. I like the looks of the Bert - and it seems that people who own them love them - but I also like the fact that the Cafe has two ovens, five burners, and a digital readout (on the other hand, it's just one more thing to break).

What factors did you use when deciding between the two?

Comments (8)

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Hi Pauline -- I did consider both. Didn't like the oven on the floor or the finish on the GE. Did like the center burner and the price but in the end, I didn't need the second oven as we have no vent hood.

Went with Berta, as you know and as I've detailed in other posts, it's a very specific type of range with excellent burners and a Euro-style oven.

People who have them do like them -- many have posted here.

But the Fratelli Onofri and NXR owners like theirs too and I think those are worth a look. Don't know much about Verona but it's out there, too. Perhaps others will chime in on those.

Berta needs an oven thermometer -- no digitals in that stove but no issues either. And no plastic.

It really depends what you need. We're empty nesters in a 1924 apartment.

Good luck with your decision.

• paulineinmn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much, swisscook and rococogurl. I have read so many good things about the Bertazzoni - not so much about the Cafe. I am leaning towards the Bertazzoni and I guess I just wanted a little push!

• 64reno64
    13 years ago

I just compared them both in the store again yesterday and have finally decided on the Berta. It seems like a more solidly built range, and I prefer the 36 inch width (which ends up being the same price as the cafe with the free hood promo). My neighbor has a cafe. She likes it, but knobs have broken off too.
    Also, I dont need the cafe's bells and whistles. No need for the tiny griddle, self clean seems like it only leads to problems, and we will be getting a Breville to serve as a second oven.

• segesta
    13 years ago

Go for that Bertazzoni; I am enjoying mine more every day, especially since I bought an oven thermometer. And it has that awesome Art Deco logo that looks so cool. You can tell I'm not much of a cook.

(to Rococogurl's point above, I don't think Onofris come in a 30" width; otherwise I would have strongly considered them).

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

You're right segesta, now that I think of it. But best to double check for new models since I heard a while back that the Italians are making a push into the American market.

I catered a party for 40 on the Berta last Spring. It quickly roasted double trays of asparagus easily held 4 trays of baked ziti. It doesn't give the perfect heat distribution of my electric oven in our house but once at temperature it's very steady.

• paulineinmn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, I'm convinced. Part of what pushed me (in addition to hearing all the nice comments from Berta owners) was that my Cafe which was just barely leaking gas is now really leaking gas. I had to turn the gas off until they come pick it up. Plus, only one burner works fully; the others turn on but barely. Ugh. I want a stove that won't break.

• judithn
    13 years ago

Have had my 36" Berta for 4 years. No trouble, knock on wood. Lighting the oven is a PITA but nothing major. Like the power burner very much too, use it constantly.