Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Difference between Bosch 500 and 800 Induction Cooktops

Posted by marcia59 (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 15:49

I've looked at AJM and the Bosch websites. Am I correct that only difference between these 2 models is that for $450 more (AJM prices for the 30") you get the controls in the trim instead of on the glass?

Is this purely an aesthetic choice or does it affect function at all? All I can think of from a functional point of view is that maybe you can use slightly bigger pans on the 800 because you don't have to worry about covering up the controls.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Difference between Bosch 500 and 800 Induction Cooktops

You get AutoChef function with 800.

o

I have the 800 and yes, I guess those are the main differences.

With Auto-Chef, they supply you with a pan, you can program in meals that you are cooking, it preheats the pan to the proper temp, beeps when it is ready, makes adjustments based on the meal. The pan retails for over 100.00 although I'd say much of that is due to the Bosch label, but still, a great pan.

I selected the 800 model not for the Auto-Chef features, although I do love the pan they sent, but for the controls on the trim. We are a family of 5, I did not want to constantly be cleaning fingerprints from the glass. I like the layout with them on the strip, it does not show any prints at all. Plus I prefer the looks of the unit with the controls on the strip versus glass. If I was going to spend this much on a cooktop, may as well get the one I prefer to look at as well as cook on.

I saved money with Tramontina Tri-Ply cookware from Walmart. Highly rated on Chowhound forums and the reviews don't lie - it's great cookware at a superb price!

o

This comes up all the time. Google-search it. I linked one of the discussions.

Here is a link that might be useful: 500 vs. 800

o

Another

Here is a link that might be useful: Old thread

o

I got the 500 and sometimes wonder if I should have "splurged" on the 800. Sometimes when my fingers are wet, it is hard to get it to "read" my changing the settings. I don't know if the strip on the 800 is more reliable. Still, overall a wonderful product.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here